Highway Reconstruction: AUTOPISTA DUARTE

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I think that once the reconstruction is completed we will have fantastic highway infrastructure all over the country. Over the last year I have been from Las Terrenas to Puerto Plata to Jarabacoa to Barahona to Punta Cana and the roads are very impressive. There are still some areas that need to be improved but for the most part, the roads are great. It is a bit of a pain having to wait in the traffic jams going to Santo Domingo right now but it will all be worth it very soon. I was recently in the UK and France and I can tell you, there are many highways in the DR that are much better that in Europe, especially the UK! Add this to the great metro and cable car systems to more remote areas in SD I think that we have a very modern system. The fact that they are expanding the metro, adding a system to Santiago and plans for a rail system, eventually connecting the entire country is signs that we are going tin the right direction. Bravo!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The asphalt Gods have decided to bless San Cristobal this week. They are redoing streets and roads all over town.

And not so much main roads, but streets through many of the Barrios.

Maybe some of you North Coast guys should move down here and enjoy good electricity, water supply, half a dozen supermarkets and good roads.

Reactions: AlaninDR

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The asphalt Gods have decided to bless San Cristobal this week. They are redoing streets and roads all over town.

And not so much main roads, but streets through many of the Barrios.

Maybe some of you North Coast guys should move down here and enjoy good electricity, water supply, half a dozen supermarkets and good roads.
Where is this good electricity of which you speak?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I came cack from San Pedro de Macoris to Cabarete today using the Autopista Duarte. Although it is rapidly improving, they still need to convince people not to treat it like an ordinary Dominican road. At one point I saw a guy on a horse trying to control it while he was waiting to cross from the central reservation. Then there are the several motos who drive the wrong way. And the way you have to weave in and out of slow-moving trucks in both lanes drives me crazy, coming from Europe where lane discipline is good.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I came cack from San Pedro de Macoris to Cabarete today using the Autopista Duarte. Although it is rapidly improving, they still need to convince people not to treat it like an ordinary Dominican road. At one point I saw a guy on a horse trying to control it while he was waiting to cross from the central reservation. Then there are the several motos who drive the wrong way. And the way you have to weave in and out of slow-moving trucks in both lanes drives me crazy, coming from Europe where lane discipline is good.
Why didn't you take the new highway next to the AILA toll booths? That was a long detour.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Why didn't you take the new highway next to the AILA toll booths? That was a long detour.
I don't know where the AILA toll booths are, but I would be interested to find out. My route was S P de M, Las Americas, Circumnavigacion Norte, Autopista Duarte, Moca, Cabarete.

I used to go all the way up the East side via Nagua, but the tolls are more expensive and you can't use the Paso Rapido. Time is about the same.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't know where the AILA toll booths are, but I would be interested to find out. My route was S P de M, Las Americas, Circumnavigacion Norte, Autopista Duarte, Moca, Cabarete.

I used to go all the way up the East side via Nagua, but the tolls are more expensive and you can't use the Paso Rapido. Time is about the same.
You drove right past the toll booths on the way to the Circumvencion, but you answered my question with your comment about the tolls.

Reactions: drstock