Hillbilly - a friend in deed!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
BushBaby said:
Actually YES, it was the clavicle but it was broken in a motorcycle accident before we even met Aftab & started getting his treatments!! The bone never really reset & hence turned charcoal & died off, so the whole area around the clavicle had to be cleaned off by cutting out the dead stuff & replacing by a titanium plate & 7 screws. Four hours in surgery resulted (last Friday) but home on Saturday & in the Good Ginnie's hands for TLC!!
~ Grahame.
Oh boy, this one was a serious operation. I hope he aligned the clavicle inline with the rest of the bones. I am not sure if the operation was done on the sterno-clavicular joint or in the shoulder area (joining with acromion). In any case the operation was complicated and the post-operative results could affect your golf playing abilities. You may not be able to regain full functions of your shoulder movement for some time, however, with proper physiotherapy, you could regain full control of all your shoulder movements and have normal range of motion. I don't think Grahame will be playing golf for some time (months). On the other hand, he is a strong spirited man so he will recover much sooner than others. Good luck.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, it was a big op. but he seems to be doing remarkably well. No signs of infection which I could spot, & the pain is controllable provided he doesn't overdo it (hollow laugh!). He is back at the Clinic today for a post operative check up. His goal is to drive (an automatic) next week & to attempt golfing in April. Vamos a ver, as they say. But we are both tough as old boots on physical matters..........Bushbaby is one of those rare men who doesn't even notice when he has a cold, much less mention it............. ;) .....and I would defy anyone not to toughen up if I was their nurse, which has to be a prescription for terrifying people into recovery....... :D

HB's in country role of family in medical proceedures is SO apt. I get all my stuff done in uk on a once every 2 year trip, where, of course, I am on my own.........there no one even enquires whether I would like to call my other half before I go under the knife. Can you just imagine the Dominican reaction to that sort of isolationism?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hillbilly said:
However, once he was tucked in under an army blanket, he was out like a light. In a way, this was a shame, since the night nurse was stunningly beautiful-yes, even to my jaded eyes. Oh just as well, I suppose...
Yup!!! That's my story to SWMBO & I am sticking to it!! Tucked up like a bug in a rug, didn't notice that firm & delicately small posteriar .... nor those BIG black eyes that "Laughed" with you when you looked deeply into them!! Didn't notice any of those when she helped (Groggy) me to the bathroom at 11.30, 02.00 & again at 05.00!!!!!!

Hillbilly said:
.... I found out long ago that anytime anyone is going in for surgery, it is a good thing to have someone who knows the patient or the patient's family, to be in the operating room. Be it a doctor, nurse or orderly. That is why I asked my boy to stop in and see the events, which he so kindly did-he's the ear, nose & throat guy, not a orthopedic surgeon-and he was wise enough to take pictures for post op viewing....

Again, how very true & I am remiss at not mentioning the good (Boy) Doctor here. I know Eddie doesn't come on to this notice board HB, so In Case I don't get to see him again in the near future, please convey my heartfelt thanks for ALL his good ministrations that Friday afternoon!!

Aftab,
Sorry I don't know all the medical terms to advise you exactly what was done but the scar stretches from about 2 inches below the neck up to the shoulder at about 60 degrees & for about 5 inches. It then curves round to the horizontal & towards the shoulder joint for a further 2 - 3 inches!! As you can see from this post, BOTH hands are now being used (don't tell the surgeon HB!!). The dressing was taken off today (hence my ability to give brief description of scar) & the surgeon expects to be taking stiches out next Wednesday. I WILL be having complete movement of shoulder again - that is not (& never WAS) in doubt!!! Golf is more important than minor problems like this discomfort!! If I am NOT on the course bugging the daylights out of HB by the end of April ...... I will me MOST perplexed AND annoyed at myself!! The golf game had better be a damn sight better too or the expense of this surgery will have been totally misplaced!!!! ~ Grahame.