History of the DR and other thoughts...

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Thank you, Rick.
I wanted to see if there are locals in Sosua, Cabarete, with direct contact with the Jewish comunity. Direct counts on history are interesting to listen to, compared with official version of the events.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Andrew I honestly don't think any of our board members are of that era but their contact with people of that era may be a possibility. If any board members do have contacts of that type maybe they will be kind enough to converse with those contacts and relay that information on to this thread. I think it would be a valuable asset to be able to gleam some inside information as to the life and living here as a Jew in that time frame.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Speaking of Dominican history I just came across this opinion piece and thought I would share it with the rest of you that may not have seen it.

This is not being posted as a debate issue but only as a mean of providing a different perspective. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rick

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Speaking of Dominican history I just came across this opinion piece and thought I would share it with the rest of you that may not have seen it.

This is not being posted as a debate issue but only as a mean of providing a different perspective. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rick

Rick:

That article, by Sr. Guzman, is merely one of many that he has posted o Dominican Today.

Sr. Guzman has always presented articles that are well thought out andfull of "down to earth" thinking and presentation. Look up some of his other articles in that publication and you'll see what I mean.

Texas Bill

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Alonso de Ojeda

44 years ago today, taking advantage of the distractions offered by the festivities commemorating the inauguration of professor Juan Bosch, as the first constitutionally elected president since Trujillo, elements of the Venezuelan Navy, aboard the submarine "Carite", dug up from the ruins of the Monasterio de San Francisco, and spirited away to Venezuela the remains of the illustrious Conquistador don Alonso de Ojeda.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mirador I'm having a little problem with your logic. As Venezuela won their independence from Spain in 1830 why would they want to come to the DR 133 years later and steal the body of a Spainard and transport him in their only submarine that they had purchased from the US just 3 years prior back to Venezuela?

Sounds very intriguing and I'd love to see some links to substantuate such a hair-brain scheme. I seem to remember seeing something about the body of Ojeda disappearing but Venezuela???????

Rick

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I was there! I saw them do it! Why? maybe a prank!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I'm not doubting the deed was done nor am I doubting that you saw the commission of the crime. What I am doubting is that people from Venezuela took the 20 year old SS 307 Tilefish, (remnamed Carite and the only submarine in their Navy at the time), and used their American trained sailors to invade the territory that just a couple years earlier they had caused the OAS to implement sanctions against. And all this to pirate away the decomposed body of a Spaniard that had caused their country hardships over 400 years earlier.

Darn ....... talking about holding a grudge.......

Rick

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...no grudge, maybe a dare, a bet between drunken sailors, maybe even a training exercise.... No invasion though, the sailors were guests, and the sub docked this side of the Ozama river, in front of the Puerta de Don Diego.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
That explains it then ..... You know how those sailors are, they will do almost anything for a presidente or two.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rick, I gather you already know the importance of this incident. However, I'll spell it out. The Venezuelan military had issues with the Dominican military stemming from the terrorist plot to kill President R?mulo Betancourt in 1960. The plot was carried out by Gen. Arturo Espaillat and Col. Johnny Abbes, using a sophisticated remote controlled bomb placed in the path of President Betancourt's motorcade. Betancourt survived with serious injuries, and also his Defense Minister, but not his closest military advisor. It is well known that this incident produced OAS sanctions against the Dominican Republic. The Venezuelan military sent the submarine Carite and stole the remains of Alonso de Ojeda as a warning to the Dominican military. The metamessage was clearly received by the Dominican military who pressured newly elected President Juan Bosch to take diplomatic action against Venezuela. Juan Bosch refused. From that moment on the hierarchy of the Dominican Military lost respect for President Bosch and did not loose an opportunity to embarass him and show their disdain. This was the main factor that led to Juan Bosch's resignation on September 25th, 1963. By the way, my mother was President Bosch personal secretary during his short seven month stint as President of the Dominican Republic.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you for that little class in history Mirador. Being well aware of the sanctions and hard feelings of that time frame I still have a hard time determining any intellectual reasoning for the labor involved in digging up a decomposed body and carting it off when something more significant could have been done. Especially as the Venezuelan navy were guests as you stated. Maybe a Latino type of humor, threat?

Rick

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Right off the bat I would like to say that I am not an expert on Dominican history, but the post by Mirador #55 in reference to Juan Bosch is historical revisionism. The main reason for his ouster had nothing to do with the situation with Venezuela and he did not resign but was pushed out by a golpe militar or a coup d'etat.

As far as the conquistador guy Alonso de Ojeda the only possible connection I have found to Venezuela is that he possibly gave the name to that country, although other writings only indicate unnamed conquistadores as giving the name. My question is pretty much what Rick has been asking, what could possibly have motivated the Venezuelan government to dig up and steal the bones of a long ago dead explorer???

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My mother was there, and she saw it. Bosch resigned, and when he stormed out of the palace and went home, the military arrested him. That same night the military came looking for my mother, who fled over a wall to a neighboring house. When Bosch was shipped out on a Navy gunboat to Martinique island, my mother made sure Bosch and family had their passports, which she had hidden days before when she suspected the plot, and it was because Bosch had his passport that he was able to travel to San Juan, PR, and into exile the following day.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Looking back at history I wish to remind those that are interested that the position of president of this country starting in Aug of 60 were;

Balaguer 3 Aug 60 ? 16 Jan 62
Bonnelly 18 Jan 62 ? 17 Feb63
Bosch 27 Feb 63 ? 25 Sept 63
A triumvirate from 26 Sept 63 to 25 Apr 65

Now I wish to post this link for your reading pleasure.

Rick

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"6. That Bosch, a plunger, might miscalculate, lose a fight, and resign."

That's exactly what happened! the military had absolutely no respect for President Bosch. Some officers would even prop up their feet on the Presidential desk, in an obvious gesture of disrespect and disdain. On that fateful night, President Bosch gave the military an ultimatum, it's either Col. Wessin or himself, with the mistaken belief that he enjoyed backing from a significant military faction. The military called his bluff, and in a fit of anger, Bosch yelled that he was President no more, storming out of the palace.