Hogar Emiliano Tardiff HET

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
HET lost its littlest member because the male half of the 2 year old twins was returned to his parents. Blond hair blue eyed cute kids. Rafael got new sandals to replace his umpteenth hand destoyed Crocs. Tommorow is the first of the surprise birthday parties with some small gifts and a cake. Hopefully two more pairs of sandals to the most needy at the party.

Just curious....why would they return one twin and not the other? That's strange

SHALENA

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, It is my understanding that the father & mother split up and she could only afford to take care of one but now they got back to together. I pretty much stay out of the administrative stuff.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Good Morning, It is my understanding that the father & mother split up and she could only afford to take care of one but now they got back to together. I pretty much stay out of the administrative stuff.

Oh, ok. Well I'm glad he's back with his family

SHALENA

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, Just to keep those who appear to care be informed the surprise birthday party for Darlin who turns 9 is set for today about 3:30 pm. We got the cake, some soda, small gifts, candles and even hats. The point is to make each child feel that they are somebody. The UTESA student who has been volunteering is from a poor family but consistently pitches in with what she can. She bought sandals for Mayke 8 years old and Doribel age 6 because theirs look like they have been used on the Ho Chi Minh trail.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Good Afternoon, Just to keep those who appear to care be informed the surprise birthday party for Darlin who turns 9 is set for today about 3:30 pm. We got the cake, some soda, small gifts, candles and even hats. The point is to make each child feel that they are somebody. The UTESA student who has been volunteering is from a poor family but consistently pitches in with what she can. She bought sandals for Mayke 8 years old and Doribel age 6 because theirs look like they have been used on the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Feliz Cumple a Darlin! I wish I was there, I would've made some of my famous Chocolate Chip cookies (it's really just Pillsbury break and bake cookie dough but the Dominicans swear you slaved over them. You just have to throw some flour and water around to make the scene look good :) I'm sure they had lots of fun!

SHALENA

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Just a quick shout out to Humble Hindu for his ongoing support. Now if I can figure out how to do the garden thing.........Oh Yeah the party was great. The kids were literally speechless.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
No gardening today because I foolishly wasted some time and energy. But hopefully tommorow. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source of grammar school level recreational books ?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If I may send you a PM, I have a price quotation from a vendor in Santiago for elementary school books. I am fairly sure that they might also have recreational books - the original list of books offered was around eight pages!

I'll check my files tomorrow in the office and send you information, if you want.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Is any one coming from Lexington Kentucky to Santiago in the near future that is willing to bring a shipment of perhaps 20-30 pounds of books? An International Reading Project has agreed to donate Spanish language age appropriate books to the HET orphanage but we have to pay shipping which is very expensive. With day to day emergency sandal and food purchases and the surprise birthday stuff my budget is taking a beating. To economize this Saturday we are going to combine the twin 9 years old girls with a 14 year old boy party. If anyone is traveling and would be willing to bring the books or would like to come to the party just let me know.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon and Thanks as always to HillBilly for his support, AND la Profe_1 about the books, Humble Hindu, Rafael of Super Mercado Olimpico, Attorney Abel Acevedo, Isias Arbaje, Felipe Arzenio and Yanely del Carmen Garcia Rivas and a certain retired FBI Agent and a former US Attorney although they don't know it yet!

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Tried to teach chess today because of the rain but the kids are too little to understand. Took some coconut kinda cookie thing, about a yard of bread from Lumijor (sp) bakeryand and some strawberry jam that went over well. Got Michael the 14 year old and the 7 year old twins Dhiana & Doribel their gifts for the Saturday party. Mostly clothes and doo dads. All three were dropping unsubtle hints that it was their birthday. Be safe

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I will be there this summer- first week in August. Lots of fun planned for the kids. They are great kids. I have ideas for future projects that can bring money in. Have Juan or Milagros email me suibst@yahoo.com or give me a call . I can not believe the pool is a mess again. We raised a couple of grand to clean and maintain it...grr
We need ideas to bring regular money in. Let's talk soon. and thanks for what you are going there. Tell the kids Stevi Says hi
Is Solange still there?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Hola sbsuib! I went to HET today and the Guard/Worker/Counselor Reynaldo spoke highly of you and your friends. Solange is still there but not this afternoon she will be 18 in September. Yanely the UTESA student played old fashioned stoop tag. I took about four feet of salami and 48 rolls of TP as both were needed. But the domino set was a big hit! Tommorow is the 3 in 1 birthday party.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Hi Stevi, Solange was very happy to know that you asked about her. She is like a big sister to the kids. Several of the other kids asked to say Hi to you. The birthday party went well with cake, soda, and gifts for the three who were the b'day kids. If there is anybody here in Santiago who wants to volunteer for a couple hours just once in a while on weekdays after 4 or on weekends please let me know. The ladies there have their hands full. I am supposed to pick up a domino table Tuesday and I am working on getting a big washing machine.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stevie: Save discussions for when you can get her. This is a sit down and talk group of people and theywill respond better person to person. Remember, as I am sure you might, this was a grass roots project from the git go. They went from a shack to this mansion real quick.
I think I mentioned all the issues about that pool. The repairs, paint, light fixtures and so forth, together with the initial chemicals and stuff were foor for maybe three months. Further maintenaance was always up in the air and apparently the plan to have "swimming parties" to show off their artisan work and go swimming was never much of a success in raising the funds needed to pay for the regular maintenance by Enriquillo. He does his work pretty much free of charge at the the place, but the chemicals are something else.

Like we were told a few years ago: "People think that with this place we have a lot of money!!! So they don't contribute!" And they have to pay for water, electricity and other services.. Nada is free.

Cordially,

HB