Hola... Everyone, I hope I can be of help to you in the future :)

Neil NPCH 892012

Nov 9, 2012
Hello everyone, my name is Neil; I am really enjoying reading the posts that you are all writing. There is some really good advice from this site. I am looking... wishing to relocate to the Dominican Republic in the near future and any advice would be very, very welcome. I will be looking for work and can provide a CV, photos etc if required.

Here's hoping that I will be able to offer help and advice to others on this site soon so please get in touch.

Look after each other and talk soon.

Neil x

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to DR1. Good luck with the job search. I assume you know, since you have been reading DR1, that pay here is not even close to what you can get in your own country.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Hi Neil
welcome. While i am not new to Dominican Republic I am am also new to DR1 . I think you will find some good info.here.I am married and have around 150 family members in the country jajajaja. Good jobs are very hard to find. My wife has a degree and they work her like a donkey and pay her like a chicken. that is WHEN she gets paid. She works for a construction company here in Puerto Plata. Good luck and welcome again

Neil NPCH 892012

Nov 9, 2012
Wow... thank you for your replays.

Yes I am from England, I do have a varied work history to be honest from sales to IT to a role I held once as a chemical process engineer at a Nissan car plant. At present I am part of a 3 member team looking after POS (point of sales) equipment via telephone support and also new product testing and integration.

I have a girlfriend who is from the Dominican Republic and from her I am aware that her wages are not good and that the hours are very long. I don’t know the logistics of setting up a business over there as I am a videographer and have produced many shorts and have worked on music videos, short films and corporate promotional videos and even weddings etc. This maybe something I could look at. I am also thinking of teaching English as that may get me a standing and a start in this amazing country.

I have wanted to relocate to the Dominican Republic for a few years now but ties like family and previous girlfriends have stopped me from going, now that I have no ties (family are still here but my nephew is 10 now and could live without me) and that I have met my girlfriend that is Dominican I feel it is time.

I take it that the Dominican is like England that you send in a CV to potential employers asking them of positions currently available or being proposed in the near future? I am coming back for a week in February (to spend it with my lady) but would it be prudent to put some feelers out and hand deliver a few CV's to companies? I don’t want to start off on a bad foot and go about this the wrong way. Is a job agency a better place to start?

I do have to say thank you again for the warm welcome that you have showed me and if it all pans out it would be great to meet up with some of you when I make the move.

Thanks again, all my best, Neil.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Neil

Unless you have a job offer make sure you come here with enough money to last you at least 6 months. I wish you the best.

Neil NPCH 892012

Nov 9, 2012
Thank you Chip, I do have a little bit saved up but will try my best to secure a job before I move permanently.

I should hopefully know more in February.

Thanks again, Neil

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome Neil. I will mention to you what I mention to everyone with similar thoughts as yours. I would never recommend to anyone that they give up a good job in their home country to come here and have to work. The DR is better suited to people that have already made their money and don't need a job. That said, others have already mentioned that wages here will be a small fraction of what you could make in England. And even those jobs are very hard to find. How is your Spanish?

Neil NPCH 892012

Nov 9, 2012
Honestly not so good, saying that though I am learning every day, I do know it will be hard but I do have to at least try, I would rather spend the next 10 years trying my best to relocate to a place (and woman) that I love than to spend it here in a country that I am not comfortable in. Money is a massive thing in everyone?s file but it comes and it goes. I know I have a lot to learn about the way of life in the DR and this is why you?re and others information is so valuable.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Neil

Unless you have a job offer make sure you come here with enough money to last you at least 6 months. I wish you the best.

I would say EVEN if you have a job offer...come with enough money to last 6 months.

SHALENA

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Being fluent in Spanish would help your job hunt considerably. That is why I asked.

liverpool

Nov 10, 2012
6 months money you will need a lot more than that its not like uk here m8 if you end up skint that will be you no one will help you when it comes to money .Lets just say most Dominicans dont even trust there own mother when it comes to money matters.Job wise they are so little paid here you will think there taking the p s if u dont speak spanish this will also cause you big problems .

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
care to elaborate what's wrong with living in UK ? ;-) (except weather and women heheh, i'm already aware of that....)
thx
I would rather spend the next 10 years trying my best to relocate to a place (and woman) that I love than to spend it here in a country that I am not comfortable in.