hola from Canada

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Yep he knows where i live in canadaThanks,and i will contact you later for more advice

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I new here
Trying to learn as much as possible
You said dont buy when you can rent.....could you explain this more

IT's not complicated... If you buy and let's say the neighborhood goes to hell, you are STUCK with your house or condo. Or you have a change in your financial situation and you want to reduce your monthly expenses, surprise, you CAN'T because you're STUCK with your house. Many expats are trying for 2-3 even 5 years to sell their property. NOT A GOOD MARKET... So rent rent rent ! Any change in your life ? Then you pack and move... Trust me. And if you have a good landlord like mine, a Dominican living in New-York, then your rent will go down every year, like not even 3 years in my house and my rent went down 24%... Talk about pure luck...

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
The fact that you don't speak spanish is a BIG drawback. Get yourself a chica, or a book, but immerse yourself if you want any chance of coming out on the right side of things.
As previous posters have said, rent, rent, rent.
Buena suerte.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Im a retired Newfoundlander.  I’ve been wintering here for 12 years since I retired. I use Playa Dorada as my base to explore the North Coast. You’ve been given some sage advice by many of the long time residents here. Here’s mine. This is a foreign country and what applies in Canada does not apply here. If you get into legal trouble here you have limited rights, in some cases, no rights at all. This is a beautiful country but it can be a dangerous one if you don’t keep your wits about you. That’s means being careful with your money, constantly being aware of the way you conduct yourself on a daily basis and how you treat people here, and last but certainly not least, being aware of the danger of getting involved in relationships that can harm you financially. By all means, come down, rent a place, keep a low profile and get a sense of the people and culture. There are aspects of this country that I love and areas that amaze me. It’s worth the effort. Just remember that tropical paradise can quickly turn into an oxymoron when things turn bad. I had expat friends here to show me the ropes and I’ve been learning Español since I started coming here. They kept me safe and the language skills allow me to learn and be part of the culture. Good luck in your travels.