Hookworm - a couple of Qs

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i wish the best for your son, i have a 5 year old boy who gets into all kinds of stuff and in hot and humid SD there is a lot of stuff to get into. one thing to watch out for is a purple spiky plant, known in south florida as mother in laws tongue, in the DR it is all over the place, yards, balconies, border edging, you see it everyday. the sap from these long leaves causes an immediate painful welt. all a kid has to do is fall off a bike or chase a ball into some, ouch!........ to all you dog lovers out there, parasitic infections, caused by dog feces are the main reason many many beaches are off-limits to dogs. even though tides have washed away the apparent evidence, dangerous forces still lurk, it's not a like or dislike dog issue by the old ladies who are friends with the mayor's mistress. same thing holds true for lawns, even if your terrier is an angel, and you use a gold-plated scooper that belonged to the duchess of bath, it isn't healthy. a little benadryl might help with the itch symptoms, couldn't hurt, again best wishes for a speedy recovery..................

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chiri: NO Bengay! Ice it today. Get some Diclophenol, one tonight one tomorrow night.

Tomorrow hot towels maybe three times...I mean as hot as he can bear, maybe a bit more.

Then he'll be fine.

We treat these things all the time in Judo and the routine was prescribed by orthopedists around the globe: Day one= ice; days two and three heat.

HB
Thanks HB - I didn't see this last night and he was asleep by then anyway so too late for ice yesterday - we'll go for the hot towels today. It's not at all swollen but he says it's hurting quite a lot. If he's still complaining later today we might take him to x-ray.

Meanwhile, after two applications of the cream, the patches have faded significantly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey! Chiri? Next time use the phone. Dr. HB will help with most sprains and twists...

My mom always used Epsom Salts in hot water....I don't theink the salts did much but the hot water sure did....

When i blew out my knee in 74 my Japanese trainer applied hot and cold towels-very hot and very cold!! OMG it hurt, but the swelling went down and mobility was restored..Very hot towels and very cold towels...

HB

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Chiri...sorry to hear about your son's sprain and rash!!!
Hope all is better soon..
If I could count how many sprains I got as a child :p I was very active, but also very accident prone...lol
Sprains sometimes hurt more than breaks I found!!!!!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Ringworm is NOT a worm...it's a fungus

I have been informed the name for ringworm is lombrices. Yet, be mindful the it could be a universal name the locals use for all worm related illnesses

If you are in Santo Domingo, if you desire, you can visit the INSTITUTO DERMATOLOGICO at Federico Vel?zquez at corner of Albert Thomas. You can have a consult, treatment, and there is an on site pharmacy. Note: it can be crowded some days, best to arrive early and take a number. Great healthcare at an affordable cost.

Regards,.
PJT

Now, if I'm following this discussion right, there is a circular patch on the arm. RINGWORM is NOT a worm but a very contagious fungus (it's a misnamed disease that comes from old folklore and you can get it on your feet but it doesn't travel through the blood to the arm.) I see it all the time in the clinic. The fungus can many times be cured by aggressive topical treatment including iodine and then a clotrimazole/miconazole cream. It is is on the hair, ketoconazole shampoo (in the US this is known as Nizoral) is used. The key with the shampoo is to leave it on the head fro 5-10 min and really scrub it into the scalp. With recalcitrant cases, grisofulvin is the oral medication, but it is very hard on the liver (as are the PIN WORM & amoeba-appropriate meds mentioned earlier.)

Ringworm fungus is readily transmitted through shared towels, pets & close contact. It lives in soil and loves humidity.

'Hope this helps.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
As a child & an adolescent, I never had worms. As an adult, I have.

There are many medications available to treat 5 types of worms in a single dose. Despite the different brand names, I have used Combantrin with 100% effectiveness.

Now that I live in the tropics (Thailand), I give myself an annual treatment, which consists of one pill.

See the following site for more details.

Johnson & Johnson - Combantrin