?? Hotel Mercure Santo Domingo

dominikano24

Dec 18, 2007
I am arriving in DR on 12/31 have been doing some HW on hotels as for now i have read goodthings about it. I have read reviews on yahoo and also some on here. I will be stayin with my cousin for about 1 week. Price quoted is about 54usd per night... is that an ok price to pay for this property. We are mostly going to hang out but do not want to stay at a rinky hotel since wa are on vacation... just curious what you guys have to say about this property + or - before i make the reservations... any suggestions are also welcome. thank in advance for any guidence...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
the rooms are small but clean an the place is professional and well kept. You are in walking distance to many of the tourist sites in the zona colonial and clubs etc.

54 a night...i'd book it fast as i am surpised it already isnt booked for new years

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..... Price quoted is about 54usd per night... is that an ok price to pay for this property...........

54USD plus taxes is a good price for the area. As mentioned above the rooms are small but Hotel Mercure is centrally located, clean, safe, and serves a nice buffet breakfast. It is not a 5* hotel so expect the usual stuff.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
As I posted several times before, the rooms are so small you can't change your mind in them. But it's a great location and the downstairs restaurant is convenient for breakfast. Nothing but positive experiences on my two stays there. But be prepared to be cramped for space.

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
Stayed there more times than I can count. Agreed, clean, safe, and totally functional. Good central location. The rooms are not spacious but there are smaller rooms for twice the price. Great price especially this time of year.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
to the OP...you might also want to check out the Discovery hotel. (located right at the end of el conde).

Small rooms still. but very nice and quiet. Pretty much the same area as Mercure...but a little cheaper (46 a night) as they are very new and not as well known.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
I've stayed at both a few times.

"Discovery" is nice with the a large jacuzzi on the roof, and a great veiw of the CZ. But it also has the worlds smallest elavator 3 pers. max.

I prefer and suggest "Mercure" because the AC will stay on when your out of the room. Something to look foward to on hot days.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
great point Dymmach!!

Yeah..i liked the jacuzzi....but AC is primo for me! Nothing P!sses me off more then when i get back to the room and the maid has turned off the AC. But the rooms are so small that they DO cool off quickly.

I also like the roof deck at discovery. Since the rooms are so small you can go up there and get a nice view of the city.

both are nice picks if staying in the zona colonial and you dont plan on spending too much time in your cubby hole of a room.

dominikano24

Dec 18, 2007
Im reporting back after deciding to stay at the DISCOVERY.. me and my best friend coulnt have asked for more.. the hotel isclean.. yes rooms are small .. but we were only there to sleep so didnt bother us 1 bit. location is key.. right infront of parque independencia.. has its own private parking behind.. when we arrived very late we always found parking out front guarded by security.. paid 52 per night.. would def stay there again..

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Having stayed at Mercure many many times over the years, I had to check out this past trip. The price that I got over the internet they would not honor, even though I had a printout of the reservation, and even though I had stayed many times before and they knew me. I changed to Discovery, and couldn't be happier. The location is terrific, and the amenities are much nicer then Mercure. The breakfasts at Mercure have also gone downhill, so staying there for the breakfast as I had in the past was not worth it. But if they treated a long time guest like me in such a way, I can't recommend Mercure anymore, especially with so many other options in the same area. But two thumbs up for Discovery - I liked it very much!!