Hotels near SDQ

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I would seriously advise against trying to get your parents from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas during the night, even in a private taxi. The road is quite dangerous at night, and there are a lot of cattle straying onto it, as well as treacherous bends.

I have personally taken taxis at night from LT to SDQ (and vice verca) more than 20 times. The drivers I know have been doing this stretch for years and could probably do it with their eyes closed. They make a pretty gfod living bringing tourist back and forth, are ponctual, and take good care of their vans.

I agree with Steve. I am all for simplifying my vacay and wake up by the beach (but I am spoiled) :)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have personally taken taxis at night from LT to SDQ (and vice verca) more than 20 times. The drivers I know have been doing this stretch for years and could probably do it with their eyes closed. They make a pretty gfod living bringing tourist back and forth, are ponctual, and take good care of their vans.

I agree with Steve. I am all for simplifying my vacay and wake up by the beach (but I am spoiled) :)

A few years back there were regular hold ups of vehicles on the Autopista Juan Pablo 3 to Samana and that road is empty and desolate at night:

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/ola-de-atracos-afecta-carretera-santo-domingo-saman-BMDL372267

I would advise anybody not to travel late at night on that highway especially a 'new tourist' to this route. If I can't leave Santo Domingo before dusk I don't travel that road....and I know it well.

The other issue the OP must consider is the onward connection on to LT if the Quality Hotel option is taken (add 18% plus 10% is a norm for such DR hotels and 300rdish to the end of the highway would be expected). The LT bus often fills up many minutes before departure in Santo Domingo so you have to consider that scenario. It is not ideal unless the OP has a car ride and can pick them up in Sanchez.

These are perhaps newbies to this part of DR and the colonial hotel option made by TropicalPaul in post #12 looks the most sensible bet imo....and probably cheapest way to get to the centre of LT without hassle after a late flight arrival.

(Since this is a hot topic on DR1 at present..... I am a DR resident live in Santo Domingo now and lived in LT a year back for 18 months and traveled between LT and SD regularly by car and my g/f used the buses on occasions)

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Seems like there is an obvious need next to SDQ for that red eye traveler. It makes me wonder why there isn't a G Rated Cabanas touristico / apart-motel very close by. Seems like it can be a steady stream of income for the right investor.

For the new visitor arriving at 1 am, it could be very challenging , but I am sure the Taxi guys can get your friends there in one piece. Its done this way all over the world, but I am sure certain locales may appear riskier than others. Daylight driving is always easier to deal with. Maybe your friends may be interested in spending the morning in the Colonial Zone, and leave north, on bus, in the afternoon.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A few years back there were regular hold ups of vehicles on the Autopista Juan Pablo 3 to Samana and that road is empty and desolate at night:

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/ola-de-atracos-afecta-carretera-santo-domingo-saman-BMDL372267

I would advise anybody not to travel late at night on that highway especially a 'new tourist' to this route. If I can't leave Santo Domingo before dusk I don't travel that road....and I know it well.

The other issue the OP must consider is the onward connection on to LT if the Quality Hotel option is taken (add 18% plus 10% is a norm for such DR hotels and 300rdish to the end of the highway would be expected). The LT bus often fills up many minutes before departure in Santo Domingo so you have to consider that scenario. It is not ideal unless the OP has a car ride and can pick them up in Sanchez.

These are perhaps newbies to this part of DR and the colonial hotel option made by TropicalPaul in post #12 looks the most sensible bet imo....and probably cheapest way to get to the centre of LT without hassle after a late flight arrival.

You are talking to the wrong person I love to take the 12 am flights out of jfk and get to SDQ at ungodly hours, which I did a few years ago as a newbie a few years ago.
Plus, the airfrance flight arrives at 9 PM, so most French people I know (quite a few at this point) in LT do take/share taxis.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
You are talking to the wrong person I love to take the 12 am flights out of jfk and get to SDQ at ungodly hours, which I did a few years ago as a newbie a few years ago.
Plus, the airfrance flight arrives at 9 PM, so most French people I know (quite a few at this point) in LT do take/share taxis.

Yes.....understood........my post was for the OP to consider.

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies again :)

The direct bus to Las Terrenas won't be a problem as I can make reservations for them, so they can take it at the highway.
After reading more responses I think I will go and pick them up myself and then stay the night at Julia's mom's house and then take them for a SD tour before heading back to Las Terrenas.

@mofongo yes we regurarly pick up guests for our hotel for the price of 175$. At this time of day I guess he will ask for 200$

TilleryATL

Nov 15, 2015
Africaida,

I have a question or two. My son (12) and I will be arriving at SDQ on Saturday at around 830 pm. I want to go to Samana for 3 days and I would like to know my best option to get there. Should I rent a car and drive there Sunday morning for those few days? I've been to the DR several times but have never driven. Should I use Caribe Tours or lastly should I hire a driver? Honestly I don't foresee having to pay $400 to get there and back. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Africaida,

I have a question or two. My son (12) and I will be arriving at SDQ on Saturday at around 830 pm. I want to go to Samana for 3 days and I would like to know my best option to get there. Should I rent a car and drive there Sunday morning for those few days? I've been to the DR several times but have never driven. Should I use Caribe Tours or lastly should I hire a driver? Honestly I don't foresee having to pay $400 to get there and back. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you!!

Hello Newbie from ATL :)

If you never driven in DR, I wouldn't drive after dark on an unfamiliar road.

There no more Bus to Samana (Assuming you want to go to Las Terrenas). If you are trying to go to Samana the town, I am not sure, but if you flight lands at 8;30 PM, we are talking about 9:30-10 PM to catch a bus, that is late.

You are left with 2 options : 1) spending the night in the Capital 2) Hiring a driver (you could always use the bus on the way back depending on the flight times)

Your call.

Good luck !

TilleryATL

Nov 15, 2015
Hey,

I've arranged to stay in the capital for that initial night. I figured I would get up the next morning and drive or take the bus. What is the name of the bus company to LT and how long would the travel time be?

Thank house much for your help!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hey,

I've arranged to stay in the capital for that initial night. I figured I would get up the next morning and drive or take the bus. What is the name of the bus company to LT and how long would the travel time be?

Thank house much for your help!!!

Santo Domingo (Capital) - Las Terrenas
Horarios de salida : 8:30 a.m - 9:30 a.m- 11:00 a.m- 1:40 p.m (Bus m?s grande que pasa por la carretera nueva 350 RD$) - 3 p.m (Bus m?s grande que pasa por la carretera nueva 350 RD$)

http://www.las-terrenas-live.com/las-terrenas/transportes/guaguas-publicas.html