Hotels Remodeling- Where Does It All Go?

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
The latest Santo Domingo hotel to close for remodeling is the Marriott Jaragua which will be closed at the end of April for a full year for remodeling. As mentioned in several other threads this will join a list of closed and/or remodeled hotels in the capital including Melia, Intercontinental( now Sheraton), Hotel Santo Domingo and the Hispanola.

My question is--What becomes of all the furnishings TV's etc. that come out of the hotels? In the case of the Jaragua there are over 300 rooms and suites in that hotel. In all my stays there most of the furniture seemed to be in pretty good shape. All of the rooms in the tower have large flat screened TV's. Add to this all the public areas and restaurants and there has to be a virtual mountain of furniture being removed from this one hotel alone. I assume with a year long remodeling effort they would not re-use most of the stuff. Does it go to a second hand market or is it easier and more cost effective to cart it all to the dump?

When I asked the employees they said they did not know what would happen with it all. They were a pretty disheartened group. Everyone I asked from the front desk to the cleaning staff had been told they would lose their jobs with no guarantee of getting re-hired when the refurbished hotel open. They have to re-apply for their jobs. They all seemed unhappy and distressed with this arrangement. I have always found the employees at the Jaragua to to be helpful and friendly. Everything in that hotel, except the rooms, were overpriced but that is not the doing of the employees.

If the furniture was available I may be interested in getting some of it if the price was right. Does anyone know what becomes of it?

May 29, 2006
A friend of mine bought out some 300-400 TVs out of a hotel by auction in Hawaii and had them shipped to his store in the Marshall Islands. He had some Filipino guy go over them to get them working, then sold them used for either $50 or $100 each with a 60 day warranty. There were a bunch of TVs left over for parts. Lots of folks got TVs for Christmas that year and he was also in the VCR rental business...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
When Hotel Azzuro closed in Cabarete, I heard the employees were given the opportunity to buy the furnishings and TVs....cheap.

For the record, the Melia is now (or becoming) the Sheraton, The Intercontinental is now the Crown Plaza. I doubt either of them replaced all of the furniture or TVs...just the hotel-branded items.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I heard that Jaragua is only remodeling public areas and no rooms. Sounds weird to me if they close for 8 months, but that's what I heard.

May 29, 2006
The better run hotels replace fixtures on a planned scheduled after deducting some percentage of their value as a tax write off each year. They still have resale value and they don't waste time milking the last day of use out of the items. It's also much cheaper to buy such things by the container load rather than piecemeal.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The Melia / Hotel Magna 365 / Sheraton was a Sheraton originally. I remember because this was our crew hotel for AA. They did do some upgrades to furnishings as did the Intercontinental / Crown Plaza. Some rooms more upgraded than others. The former Hotel Gran Lina (?) now the Barcel? Santo Domingo did the same a few years ago. The Jaragua has begun to show its age as well as some others. Even the newer Santo Domingo Hilton is showing age. With the newer hotels being built the "older" ones have to try and step up their game. I do know that some of the furnishings from the former Gran Lina were "sold" to employees if they wanted. Some also went to "second hand shops" ( guess that is what you call them).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Melia / Hotel Magna 365 / Sheraton was a Sheraton originally. I remember because this was our crew hotel for AA.

Yep. We stayed there back in 1978 for a couple of weeks, Mr. AE's then-teenage brother was the lifeguard, and I sat out there talking to him too long and got burnt to a crisp. Thanks for the painful memory, jajajaja

kinggold

Nov 23, 2011
Just a side note. The Jaragua Hotel is closing in conjunction with the new JW Marriott at the Blue Mall.

kinggold

Nov 23, 2011
Both properties are owned by Marriott and the new JW Marriott at the Blue Mall is expected to open in March, while the Jaragua will be closing for renovations.