household advice needed

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i know all there is to know about blue pills :)
thanks for all advice. i will let you know how it goes.

one more thing - something to clean silver. preferably liquid and something that does not require rubbing. i have this paste that seems to be good but there is no way of cleaning it off the chains with nooks and crannies. it stays secretly in and then taints the skin. i need a better solution...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
oxyclean is NOT available here .. i know because i had to bring a tub of it down with me.. And you can only imagine how important and wonderful if it is if I gave up BOOK SPACE in my baggage! I think that the new Vanish is being sold as Oxyclean but cannot testify that it is the same stuff.... but i do think that Nacional has it. I have asked La Cadena to stock it -- my little corner store. But if you can find the Vanish with OXY I would do that over cloro... which really Shreds the fabric....

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
oxyclean is NOT available here .. i know because i had to bring a tub of it down with me.. And you can only imagine how important and wonderful if it is if I gave up BOOK SPACE in my baggage! I think that the new Vanish is being sold as Oxyclean but cannot testify that it is the same stuff.... but i do think that Nacional has it. I have asked La Cadena to stock it -- my little corner store. But if you can find the Vanish with OXY I would do that over cloro... which really Shreds the fabric....

Well, IL MERCATO an online local supermarket "claims" to have a couple of Oxiclean products; maybe they'll starting to import the products locally, in a greater scale in the near future.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Expat-in -Cabarete yes I forgot about that. You can buy them in the colmado, they come in little boxes like this one and are called bolita azul - blue balls.

ba2d2.jpg

Or you can use bigger blue balls too, although these are usually used for dishes.

2f06pls.jpg

Matilda

I went and bought the big blue balls.Five large blue balls in a pack for washing dishes.

From now on I will use the blue balls.

Thanks,Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
y

one more thing - something to clean silver. preferably liquid and something that does not require rubbing. i have this paste that seems to be good but there is no way of cleaning it off the chains with nooks and crannies. it stays secretly in and then taints the skin. i need a better solution...

Coca Cola. Not sure if diet works, or the copy cat versions. Cleans jewelry beautifully - imagine what it does to your insides! Just soak for a few hours (like your towels), no rubbing needed, so no hard work.

Matilda

Dec 26, 2011
Coca Cola. Not sure if diet works, or the copy cat versions. Cleans jewelry beautifully - imagine what it does to your insides! Just soak for a few hours (like your towels), no rubbing needed, so no hard work.

Matilda

Will Kola Real work too? :) You'll save a few pesos.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
White towels, sheets etc should never be washed with anything else but whites. My dear old aunt said so.

I made a call to Sicily because I remember pots of water and sheets boiling :) Her instructions were similar to Mats except we had some huge copper kettle, filled it with water, boiled it (we didn't have hot water back then) left soapy sheets and towels over night then washed as normal.

You can do the same in washing machine. Good soaking is the key. She said you can also soap them up and place in the sun but only if they are 100% cotton.

This is right on! I remember people in DR either boiling white clothes or soaking them in a boiling pot.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Matilda

I had forgotten about the ad showing what cola can do to an old copper penny. I'm going to try that instead of that expensive liquid silver cleaner

Thanks Mat :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo buys gel deodorant from arm and hammer. apparently it's good stuff.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You cannot beat Mennon SpeedStick...... fresh as a daisy

I am complimented constantly on my "freshness"... smellwise :chinese:

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Used to...... he's not so much fun any more since he kissed the reporter on live TV at the game.

He's had to throttle back somewhat.....Narrowway Joe, not Broadway Joe

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm going to take my aunts advice and try to soak some of my tea towels in boiling water and I even bought some oxyclean. I'll try and post before and after pictures. :)

DV8 have you tried any of these suggestions yet?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i bought jabon de cuaba, grated, i will soak the towels today and wash tomorrow, will see what happens.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i bought jabon de cuaba, grated, i will soak the towels today and wash tomorrow, will see what happens.

Good luck. You could have grated it yourself lazy woman. Make sure you rub it well into the towels.

Mat

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rub? you be kidding me. i'm already pi**ed a simple job that takes one minute in europe (load machine, set for 90 degrees, add powder and softener) takes overnight soaking and the use of products i never knew existed. there is no need to make it last all day with rubbing, scrubbing, boiling and washing.
no wonder dominicanas take all day to do the laundry. they don't even know that in civilized country it's 5 minutes...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
rub? you be kidding me. i'm already pi**ed a simple job that takes one minute in europe (load machine, set for 90 degrees, add powder and softener) takes overnight soaking and the use of products i never knew existed. there is no need to make it last all day with rubbing, scrubbing, boiling and washing.
no wonder dominicanas take all day to do the laundry. they don't even know that in civilized country it's 5 minutes...

yeah but in a "civilized{ country, they could earn enough to pay for the electric bills and a good machine..

I am always really touched to see them washing the laundry down at the Massacre River.. all the women together on the rocks there..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
looks like the towels need to be rubbed :( maybe next time i soak them i hot water from the tap and a bucket of cloro. because i washed them today and they still have this nice warm grayish hue :)
i wanna go hooooome! oh, a kingdom for a front loading, fully electronic washing mashine!
:) :) :)