How can a Gringo with law degree que puede hablar espanol find a job?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Just to be sure you get it, and we dont go round in any more circles, here is how the Collins Gem Spanish Verb Tables and Grammar states it:

"Some reflexive verbs are also used impersonally. The most common are:
creerse: se cree que llegar?n ma?ana.
decirse: se dice que ha sido el peor invierno en 50 a?os.
poderse: aqu? se puede aparcar.
tratarse: no se trata de dinero.
venderse: se vende coche.

got it? Understand? REFLEXIVE VERBS are also used impersonally. Poderse is a reflexive verb used impersonally.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's cut the crap and get to the point here.

Sorry to tell you that you law degree is worth about as much as a row of Pee-pee holes in the snow drift-here, that is.
Facts of life:
1) Non-Dominicans cannot practice law in the DR, beyond consulting on things US law related. As one poster said-get in touch with Fabio or the Pelleranos..
2) DR law is based on the Napoleonic Code, and, in general, on French law practices. English, precedent based law is almost worthless here.
3) In order to practice law-per se-- you would have to get a degree from a Dominican University (and become a Dominican citizen).

WHY, oh why would an educated person with those credentials want to come here to live?????

While it is a great place to live, admittedly, you will be sorely limited as to what you can do.
Related to your field of training: Teach International Law at one of the better schools, is a possibility.
Consulting for firms here that do business there is another.
Serving as the DR extension of a US based law firm is yet another that comes to mind...

If the reasons for the move are really imperative, those might be some of your options. At least look into them..

HB :ermm:

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Sorry, NY2, it looks like you've attracted the attention of a few self-important butt-heads whose sworn mission is to present themselves as authoritative, even omniscient representatives of this site. They suggest that only persons as superbly prepared and qualified as them should consider relocation to the DR.
As you see, they carefully manage their spelling, fine-tune their grammar and shamelessly flaunt their punctuation skills (some can virtually visualize their own colons).
Hang in there, there are some amazingly knowledgeable and helpful people on this site; take a peek at previous threads and do some searches- there is plenty of goodwill, you'll see.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, the Hillbilly has spoken! And if the Hillbilly speaks, I take notice... But for the rest, Ricktoronto, stuff a sock in it just for a while please... there is only so much daily doom and gloom that any normal person can process.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
You would be able to market yourself alot better if you had passed the bar. The amount of business between the DR and New York would make that valuable, there are many US citizens in the DR who may need services of a US lawyer for their own paperwork, but without the bar not worth too much.
However since you have not passed the bar, you may want to consider studying US Immigration Law, and possible working as a consultant to the many people trying to get their paperwork together to go to the US.
Otherwise as Hillbilly stated - a US JD law degree even if it is from Harvard is not worth much here.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A.J.: I had not seen that until just now. The OP really needs to pass the bar. This makes him, as you have very wisely pointed out, much more marketable.
And consulting with DR firms that have relations with US firms could produce some handsome income, and the visa-versa of this could make the former look like chicken feed.
What bothers me about the OP is that sunshine is just not a good enough reason to pick up and leave the US without a great support system already in place. He is not thinking about health, education and over-all quality of life--at least at the beginning...Oh well, we try and keep them on the right path..

HB :D

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
"What bothers me about the OP is that sunshine is just not a good enough reason to pick up and leave the US without a great support system already in place."

Ah, but Hillbilly you are forgetting or perhaps, luckily, have never known the dreary weight of working in corporate offices day after sunless day, breathing recycled air, and staring out the window -- if you are lucky enough to have a window -- at the grey stone and grey streets and grey masses of people shuffling on their way to little cubicles. That is enough to start anyone dreaming about a tropical paradise!

But quite right, you cant make longterm decisions like this based on a fantasy, and one is quickly disabused of one's illusions upon arrival here. You can try to keep people from straying, but sometimes they need to stray a little and learn for themselves. Passing the bar is a must, I should think, and adequate study and preparation for an entirely different way of life and way of thinking; but having advised them of this, there is nothing more to do but cut them some slack. They will either learn to run straight, or get caught up in the coils and choke. Dreams are powerful motives, but sometimes people forget that "in dreams begin responsibilities."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"WHEW!!

Perhaps you have just posted the "most poetic" in a very long time.

Great use of words....oh yes...

HB :D:D:D:D:D:D

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Ha! I speak from experience. Though I myself didnt come here looking for sun and sunburnt chicas, I can understand how others would be tempted to do so. I had to put myself through school working as a paralegal, and though I was thankful for the opportunity -- wages were quite good -- I remember all too well sitting and dreaming at the window while performing mindnumbingly dull and utterly meaningless tasks. Sometimes I think that even struggling here for a while with no adequate funds is preferable to being a corporate drone. Quality of life includes many factors.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I was thinking that there is something incongruous with poetic words and an employment opportunity. OK, I do know work has to be like singing and poetry, but somehow it is not always that... :D

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
Lehman College doesn't have a school of law . . . though CUNY does . . .resume makes it look like you graduated from Lehman School of Law . . .

Best bet for finding a DR job is to look here in New York City for businesses involved in export/import etc. with Dominican Republic. Also, check with immigration lawyers here in NYC who may be able to connect you with immigration lawyers working in the Dominican Republic - - your US/NY state knowledge might come in handy down there.

If you can speak spanish fairly well and you do have knowledge and experience with immigration law - - you could try to hang your shingle out and catch some business. Risky, but with skills and knowledge - - possible.

Best bet is to dig up as many contacts/connections etc. as you can right here in New York City before you leave - - maybe your alma mater - - Lehman - - could be a resource here. And, obviously, if you open up the Bronx phone book you'll find plenty of immigration lawyers - - do some lunch dates near 161st St.

Good luck!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Get Real

His JD without passing the NYS Bar and a subway token will get him places.
He will have better luck getting a job a a Sankie Consultant in RD.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've worked in major law-firms for many years and a law degree from CUNY is not marketable at all, it's a (Tier 4), which is the bottom of the Tier levels for schools in the US. So even if you passed the bar in the US, the chances of getting a decent paying position without serious experience is slim. I've met a lot of people who graduated from Tier 3 Law schools, passed the bar and can't even get an interview with firms in the City. CUNY is a public law school for students specializing in public interest. If you are not currently working, get a temp-position in NYC that will give you a lot of hours, save up your money-up, come down here for a couple of months on the money you saved and see for yourself, contact some of the lawyers that the other posters recommended like Sr. Guzman.

Good Luck

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Job as teacher...

I worked as a French teacher in Puerto Plata. I had a class every night from monday to thursday and earned 500 pesos/month from 1 to 10 students. Then I had something like 125 pesos/person more. At the end of the month I earned enough to pay the gas for the car!!!! Fortunately I didn't have to count on this money to survive!!! Of course if you have 4 or 5 groups a week you can have more, but there are so many language institutes that it is difficult to have so many groups at the same time. The problem also is that most of the Dominicans want to learn a language, but once they have to make an effort....they disappear. You begin the course with 25 students and after the first month you loose half of them. You finish with 5 or 6...and you earn 500 pesos!