How does one initiate a criminal corporate tax fraud investigation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
You may be bothered but I would weigh what the impact will be to you personally when you talk to someone in the DR gov and give them info. There is no guarantee that they will persue what you are telling them. Are you a resident or Domincian Citizen if not you are on shaky ground here? A "gringo" making accusations probably won't be taken seriously and you could risk personal harm. Business ethics is up to interpretation in the DR. What is common practice in your home country is not in the DR. You can try to take some action but if you think that will directly result in changing anything is doubtful. People coming to the DR and think they can change anything will be very dissapointed. This is not your country and your hollier than attitude will not change a thing.

I suspect you are correct but it does not mean that attempting to initiate positive social and economic change is pointless.

Your suggestion about my "hollier" attitude is confusing to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollier

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Absolutely sure. That was back in the days when Dunkin Donuts went under as well, but not because of tax evasion. It was closed at least two or three years.

I was happy to see them return.

Ok, probably it was between 2005 and 2010 then when I wasn't living here.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I have searched General Directorate of Internal Taxes website but apart from a generic "contact us" button there are no clear directions on who to contact to make formal accusations of corporate tax fraud and evasion by a foreign owned corporate entity.

Is it a criminal or government jurisdiction???

Are formal accusations investigated and taken seriously?

I do not want to sue.
I am only interested in making a declaration of corporate fraud to the Dominican equivalent of the American IRS if indeed such an organization exists.
Thanks

Good for you, stand by your principles. This has nothing to do with faith, it just what an honest person think is the right thing to do. Good luck Greg, but watch yourself b/c the reason they may be evading is b/c they are paying someone off.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Please can we do something about this obsession from some Americans to turn DR1 into a forum on US politics? There are a great deal of readers who really don't give a hang about American Republicans as we are not American, and this is absolutely not the place to be discussing anything to do with the US.

To return to the OP, I have personally reported businesses to DGII when we have had battles with illegal discos and yes it does work, they do send inspectors. Be warned though, you do need to provide them with evidence or explain why you think taxes are being evaded. I think that DGII are increasingly hot on getting people to pay tax - witness the dramatic increase in tax receipts over the last few years, way higher than economic growth. Also there is a major movement of the population with protest marches against corruption, and it really seems to be getting some traction.

I have also noticed that even small little businesses ask if you want a comprobante fiscal and many have the fiscal printers. Times they are changing, and I think any accusation of tax evasion will be taken seriously.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Post #11 by Matilda answered the OP question.

You can all consider yourselves lucky that no infractions were given, they were warranted, between being Off Topic and dripping with religion.

I left it open for Sr. Guzman to comment, but since the children can't behave, it is closed. Hopefully he will see it and add any pertinent information.

Status
Not open for further replies.