How easy is it to use American Express Traveler's Checks in Santo Domingo?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I want to be able to use American Express Travelers checks at Megacentro, restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stories, etc. in Santo Domingo. I am not sure how familiar Dominican merchants are with them. Are American Express Travelers checks easy to replace in Santo Domingo at the American Express Office if they are lost are stolen? Where would I go in Santo Domingo to replace American Travelers checks if they were lost or stolen from me?

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I want to be able to use American Express Travelers checks at Megacentro, restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stories, etc. in Santo Domingo. I am not sure how familiar Dominican merchants are with them. Are American Express Travelers checks easy to replace in Santo Domingo at the American Express Office if they are lost are stolen? Where would I go in Santo Domingo to replace American Travelers checks if they were lost or stolen from me?

They are a pain to use there. Only certain banks and cambios cash them and cambios charge a little extra. The places you speak of using them don't accept them. You are best to use an atm card at the bank machines.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
what he said...

American Express or any other travellers checks are a pain to use there. Use an ATM card. Preferably an FCU or PayPal debit card and have the security pone number on speed dial just in case (on your regular cell, you can't make 800/866/877 calls from Claro, Orange or Digitel). Use the card to get several days worth of cash and lock it away in the room safe.

Cash works best. A money belt is a good thing to have in the DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I agree...AMEX checks are pretty much useless in DR. Good luck replacing AMEX checks locally, not happening, they will Fedex them to you in a few days, if you are lucky.

Bring multiple ATH cards as well as a funded PAYPAL card, keep them all in seperate places for backup.

Did you ever decide between med school or sanky apprenticeship?
Both career paths require dedication.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I agree...AMEX checks are pretty much useless in DR. Good luck replacing AMEX checks locally, not happening, they will Fedex them to you in a few days, if you are lucky.

Bring multiple ATH cards as well as a funded PAYPAL card, keep them all in seperate places for backup.

Did you ever decide between med school or sanky apprenticeship?
Both career paths require dedication.

Sanky apprenticeship is my calling. Just joking:cheeky: I visited UNIBE in Santo Domingo on my last trip a couple months ago. It will be easier to work through the UNIBE admissions process while living in Santo Domingo as to the fact that they already have my official educational documents such as my university transcript. I might do medical school there as to the fact they have showed much interest in me. I am going to work for a year here in the USA and come back to the DR with some savings for with the grace of God a permanent stay in the DR. No interest at this point in living the remainder of my natural life in the USA. Maybe one day I will be known as a world famous Dominican singer. In other words, other things interest me other than medicine like singing, acting, and modeling.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Like the other posters said, they are pretty much out of use anymore with the many ATMs available and that merchants hate them. They will take them at banks if you want to wait for half an hour...