How fast are those A-29 Super Tucanos?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Shooting for 25 seconds is about an eternity by fighter aircraft's specifications!

Check this video of a Tucano shooting down a drug runner with just two passes alone...
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHDZqUa0m1s?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHDZqUa0m1s?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Crazy that we boring people work in offices ay!! Everything I wanted to be as a teenager, now look at me!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
As for the missionary, well, not the first time USAF has killed the good people instead of the enemy!
Anyone care to tell me times the US innocents have been gunned down by professionals, 'just doing their job' haha!!

Seriously I'm interested and willing to be educated!!

My best pal was 'caught in FF' this last Iraqi war. Lets do the stats. infact lets do the Top Trumps. American kiling power 100, accuracy 0!!
Meatballs and gentlemen on the same side!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
As for the missionary, well, not the first time USAF has killed the good people instead of the enemy!
Anyone care to tell me times the US innocents have been gunned down by professionals, 'just doing their job' haha!!

Seriously I'm interested and willing to be educated!!

My best pal was 'caught in FF' this last Iraqi war. Lets do the stats. infact lets do the Top Trumps. American kiling power 100, accuracy 0!!
Meatballs and gentlemen on the same side!

Friendly fire happens everywhere Anastacio! If we go by facts alone the U.S. military comes at the very bottom of the lot when it comes down to FF incidents anywhere engagements are made, given the size of the manpower engaged in action to that of FF incidents. Unlike other military chains of command, the U.S. empowers from the bottom up the men in uniform, to make sure efficiency and responsibility are "built-in" to the individual of each unit and man.

Was the C.I.A. wrong? Yes and no! They made a careful determination that approaching the aircraft close enough to read the tail would expose them to the pilot (which at given time was suspected of being a drug runner) without a close air backup from the Peruvian AF, which was the only one with the authority to engage or order the suspected aircraft to land or change directions, or even identify itself.

The C.I.A. operators did the right thing and asked the Peruvian units to identify the aircraft, civilian or drug runners... The Peruvian pilot confirms this twice to operators, twice!

The Peruvian operators had access to their own pilots in order to confirm the tail and registration, they did nothing of the sort (at the time the C.I.A. operators were under the impression that the confirmation from the peruvian pilot as positive, cleared that check with their own operators on the ground).

I say 99% on the C.I.A. and 1% on the peruvian operators for two things: The U.S. operators are sufficiently trained under all kinds of conditions to avoid this very same accidents and once the Peruvian pilot was on the target, they could go close enough for visual inspection themselves no matter if they got spotted by the suspected pilot. Rules of engagement dictate that beyond the doubt, targets MUST be confirmed as such prior to opening fire.

May 5, 2007
The Tucano can fly slow, the light aircraft it was engaging flies very slow and is unarmed (possible lightly armed on board but unlike the movies "Arnold" with an AK is not going to shoot down a maneuvering aircraft), this is one incident where there is absolutely no reason the Tucano pilot could not have put a few rounds into the engine (one .50 is sufficient) that is far enough forward the only casualty would have been a hard landing or possible crash, but to perforate the planes tanks and passengers with .50 ????

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The Tucano can fly slow, the light aircraft it was engaging flies very slow and is unarmed (possible lightly armed on board but unlike the movies "Arnold" with an AK is not going to shoot down a maneuvering aircraft), this is one incident where there is absolutely no reason the Tucano pilot could not have put a few rounds into the engine (one .50 is sufficient) that is far enough forward the only casualty would have been a hard landing or possible crash, but to perforate the planes tanks and passengers with .50 ????
Over zealous kids that should be grounded for life.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

At least from the video it appears the results would have been the same given that it appeared to be all jungle with fairly high trees.

Gruesome nonetheless to see it flame like that. Still, it could be said these drug shipments cause more deaths as they get to closer to their destination or after they get there.

It certainly makes sense why this type of trafficking would diminish as pilots could probably think of better ways to earn money.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
At least from the video it appears the results would have been the same given that it appeared to be all jungle with fairly high trees.

Gruesome nonetheless to see it flame like that. Still, it could be said these drug shipments cause more deaths as they get to closer to their destination or after they get there.

It certainly makes sense why this type of trafficking would diminish as pilots could probably think of better ways to earn money.
Fry the drug dealers, I was refering to the missionary and his family.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Damn shame they were bought to waste yet more money on the failed "war on drugs".

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Powerful weapons in the hands of morons will always bring untold misery.

And I'm not talking about the DR.

May 5, 2007
Powerful weapons in the hands of morons will always bring untold misery.

And I'm not talking about the DR.

You got that right! As much as I have been "part of" and support the Government of the United States, this assassination of US Citizens abroad by the US forces doesn't sit right with me.

At least in past it was assassination by proxy, now it's an outright overt attack by military. Man, I would hate to be the guy operating that panel or the pilot that is called upon to take out a target knowing it could have been his neighbor at one time. I expect there will be even more "unknown" targets for people

One way to get around no death penalty states, ship them overseas and shoot

Think of it, a "bad guy" from New York is having lunch at Bailey's in Sosua and you hear a drone..................