How is the earthquake affecting tourism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Let's see where it is diverted to:

33bh0fc.jpg

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Tourism

I believe the DR will be adversely affected economically. Sensitive and fear borne tourists will stay away from the whole island for fear of another earthquake.

The DR's export base to Haiti comprises, I believe, about 20% of its total. Haiti will not be using any of that and will be, most likely, depending on foreign aid for the foreseeable future.

The Haitians already in the DR will not be returning anytime soon. More poor Haitians will be coming to the DR seeking employment and a new land to permanently take residence in.

The DR can NOT stop this since they are beholden to the international financiers that fund their profligate lifestyles. Also, they will be in the limelight to aid their neighbors.

So in few words- THE DR is SCREWED.

In reply to above we are three Canadians that still plan on visiting DR Casa Marina Beach Resort Feb9th to 16th. Tourism is an imporant revenue and employs both Dominican and Haitian people.

My heart goes out to all that are affected by this disaster and encourage all tourists to continue to travel to this beautiful island and nation of wonderful people.

Hopefully DR may be able to increase their domestic sales to offset some of the loss in exports to Haiti. For sure it will be a tough road.

Best Wishes
Hawk

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
POP is fine.

The Atlanta to POP flight is in the air and on time. Flights continue fly over while coming and going to/from POP.

We just got the POP manager Ted Foster on the Phone, after 3 tries, and the airport is fine with no problems.

I can only guess that the problems would be with the Continental the Jetblue flights only.

Ringo

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Maybe there is/was some confusion as to flight numbers CO 811 (Continental) & B6 811 (JetBlue)

Herewith details re ARRIVALS at PoP for the period in question.

YQB Quebec C6 820 Canjet Airlines 11:08 AM 11:28 AM ~ En Route
20 min [Setup a flight alert] [Track flight in real time]

YYZ Toronto 5G 5054 Skyservice Airlines 11:13 AM 11:11 AM ~ En Route
On-time [Setup a flight alert] [Track flight in real time]

YYZ Toronto 5G 6054 Skyservice Airlines 11:20 AM Cancelled 757

JFK New York B6 811 JetBlue Airways 12:37 PM 12:40 PM ~ En Route
On-time 320 [Setup a flight alert] [Track flight in real time]

EWR Newark CO 512 Continental Airlines 2:00 PM Cancelled 739

ATL Atlanta DL 409 Delta Air Lines 2:30 PM 2:21 PM ~ A6 En Route
On-time M88 [Setup a flight alert] [Track flight in real time]

YWG Winnipeg 5G 3444 Skyservice Airlines 3:15 PM 3:12 PM ~ En Route
On-time 757 [Setup a flight alert] [Track flight in real time]

SJU San Juan MQ 4820 American Eagle 3:32 PM 3:27 PM ~ Scheduled
On-time AT7 [Setup a flight alert]

Sorry I couldn't make it BIGGER for some & smaller for others!
:ermm: :cheeky: ;) ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.