How long did it take?

S

sokitoumi

buy a tupperware container large enough for both feet and freeze some old tap water....remember to wear socks when standing on the ice or you could get stuck to it

find mint shower gel and handcream

use an athletes cooling spray (for sprains) on your knees and elbows

wear a wet t shirt outside

wash an old bottle of bio mosquito spray and fill with water...keep in the fridge and spray yourself when too hot

the pool is good

go diving ....its actually cold when you re-surface

errrrrrrrrr what else............get a nice straw hat

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It is beyond me how I could be standing next to a chica who has on full make-up and wearing one of those blue polyester pant suits that some schools use and is not working up a bead of sweat and there I am sweating like a sweathog.

There has to be a better way. Saunas with one of those silver sweatsuits for me. If that doesn't acclimatize me nothing will.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Actually this thread reminds me of a conversation I had.

I told a Dominican friend to chew some ice to cool down, and she said " no, that will make me more hot"!!!

I tried to argue the point but she wouldn't chew the ice.

Is this part of the Dominican superstition thing?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is beyond me how I could be standing next to a chica who has on full make-up and wearing one of those blue polyester pant suits that some schools use and is not working up a bead of sweat and there I am sweating like a sweathog.
They are physiologically different from us gringos.
When you touch them, their skin feels hotter than ours.
I'm convinced it's because they dissipate heat better than we do.
In the winter time, your Dominican chica/wife is an excellent bed warmer to cuddle up to.
In the summer, she has to be shoved away, for the heat she radiates.
For anyone who might think I'm joking or doing a racist routine, it is not.
It's a simple observation.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have a question for those who live in the DR, or visit for extended periods of time.

How long did it take for you to become acclimatized to the heat?

During my travels to the DR, I find the daytime heat to be overwhelming
(especially during the summer months). When does this stop?

it took me 20 seconds.
that's the time you need from the moment you leave the baggage claim at the PC airport til you receive a cold presidente at the airport bar staright ahead.
from there on never get sun without a cold one nearby, and you will just be fine.
works for me since 13 years.
Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Did you ever notice foreigners when they meet on the street, for example, stand in the sun to talk, Dominicans never do. They always move into the shade of a building, under a tree, or some other place where they are out of the sun.

Sep 19, 2005
Did you ever notice foreigners when they meet on the street, for example, stand in the sun to talk, Dominicans never do. They always move into the shade of a building, under a tree, or some other place where they are out of the sun.

I noticed the exact same thing....

heck many dominican walk around with umbrellas during the super sunny days!

it is probably because the tourist are there TO GET MORE SUN.. and the people that live there just get tooo much of it!!ha ha ha

I think taking three or more showers a day when there isnt much of a breeze is the secret... and staying less active during the middle of the day.

if you are near the shore it isnt that bad.

but down in the Cibao valley it can get pretty hot some days....and those days you need to plan on where to park your car well ahead of the time you arrive where you are going....where the sun is heading and where the shade will be.....

plus so many dominicans have sweated all their life...they would think there are sick if they stopped!!! ha ha ha

bob

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
It depends on the person, others suffer more. I personally had not felt too hot until this summer even we still not have used the fans either even we have them. We live on the top of a hill and a nice Atlantic breeze is enough for us because we did not (thanks God) replace our persien-windows to glass-ones against many advices and our own previous plans.
In the beginning 7 years ago we stayed in a sun almost all day long and I worked in a garden also in the afternoons, but now we are like Rocky, everyone in the house is taking 1-2 hours siesta in afternoon including dogs.
I would say that it is easy to get used on heatness but for me rainy days in the wintertime are harder and now I"ll need more and more cloth like dominicans, even coming from north where most of summerdays might be the same like January here.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Make friends with sweat

The heat has never bothered me there. I am usually in the mountains--so it may be more breezy. I am also usually pretty active while there (building houses or playgrounds, chasing kids, dancing...). I sweat like crazy--I just had to make peace with the idea of being a not-so-dainty-daisy. I try not to wear a lot when I'm working--(well, I'm decent--just shorts and tank top, as apposed to the long pants the Dominicans seem to fancy). I wear work boots too...I just sweat. I love it. I actually find it a little freeing.

I've recently moved to Southern Mississippi and LOVE the heat there too. The Southerners keep promising it will cool down--but I want it to stay warm. I just love to feel the sun.

Sweat is your friend.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I noticed the exact same thing....
heck many dominican walk around with umbrellas during the super sunny days!

I am one of those dominicans ....mostly because I want to protect my skin from the sun (I am a light very skinned dominican, who loves her skin colour) of course I also use sunscreen and wear sunglasses/hat in addition to umbrella. AND....I use long sleeves even in the summer, and my friends are always making fun of the fact that I protect my skin from the sun so much...I also find that the sun gives me a headache, so I avoid it at any cost. I am not so much of a beach person, prefer rivers...

BTW, using an umbrella is not only a dominican thing, people in several Asian countries do it as well. ;).

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It may be down to physiology as many Dominicans have a very limited temperature buffer. Have you noticed how they complain on a hot day or shiver on a cold day? The temperature probably only varies by 10 degrees centigrade from say 23deg on a cold day to 33deg on a hot day all year round.

Those of us from Northern Europe or North America have to deal with temperature variations from 50deg to minus 10deg. So we have to deal with a 60 degree change during the seasons.

I read somewhere that acclimatisation is down to the viscosity of the blood. The thinner the blood, the faster it travels around the body dissipating heat though the corpuscles nearer to the surface of the skin.

I'm going to dilute my blood with alcohol! A Presidente chilled to within a fraction of a degree from it's freezing point (that is until you tap the bottle and have a beer popsickle!)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Awww too bad, nookie nookie is great in the heat, especially when you're sweating!!!

BTW..where did you hear the term nookie nookie? I thought that was an AA thing.

The term most frequently heard at the AA's is "cheeky cheeky" - avoid this in the afternoons if bothered by the heat. :)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Those of us from Northern Europe or North America have to deal with temperature variations from 50deg to minus 10deg. So we have to deal with a 60 degree change during the seasons.

I remember those -20 degree days for weeks on end as a child and I guess it has never left my system.

Plenty of dominicans cannot function in the sun either-it seems to sap their strength but I really admire how they walk around without falling apart like I do.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by dr_qt

BTW..where did you hear the term nookie nookie? I thought that was an AA thing.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The term most frequently heard at the AA's is "cheeky cheeky" - avoid this in the afternoons if bothered by the heat. :)
Am I the only person, wondering what an AA is?
Are you talking about AIs?
All Inclusive resorts?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am thinking alcohol anynomous

bob
That was my best guess at first. but AA's saying "cheeky, cheeky"?
That's what the UBHs say to tourists.
I somehow doubt that the expression has infiltrated Alcoholic Anonymous' vocabulary.
Heck.....
Maybe a good bout of sex has become the 13th step?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I lived in Florida for a stack of years and could not do it without aircon. I found in the DR I could happily live without aircon with good fans and evening breezes. The humidity in Florida was just too high so I felt the Florida heat more than in the DR.

I also lived in Florida (south) for two years and came running back to NY. I could not take it. A/C 24/7. Central Florida is a bit more cooler. I remember, in 2003, Central Florida had a cold spell and the temperature reach the high 30's during Christmas. I felt at home but that dissapeared fast.;)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
That was my best guess at first. but AA's saying "cheeky, cheeky"?
That's what the UBHs say to tourists.
I somehow doubt that the expression has infiltrated Alcoholic Anonymous' vocabulary.
Heck.....
Maybe a good bout of sex has become the 13th step?

I assumed she meant to write AI but I'm all for the 13th step should I ever need AA, or not. :)

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I am a fair-skinned former sun-worshiper who now worries about protecting her skin. I drink a lot of water and carry my pink umbrella everywhere. I have noticed though, that my skin is dewier (not sure if that is a word), softer and doesn't feel as tight as it used to in the States. The sweat is a clean sweat to me, and even though I hate sweating, I feel cleansed after a good workout in the house, haciendo oficio - or maybe that's just what I tell myself. Anyway, it works for me.

I went to Juan Dolio about a month ago with 3 t-shirts and a hat and still got too much sun where I didn't want to get sun at all..it's hard to avoid it. The heat does clear up the aches and pains in my joints, though. Another plus.