How many Mc Donalds are over there?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Um, I don't know how many McDonald's are over the DR, can't say I have ever seen any floating McDonald's, though I have seen a few on the ground.

Seriously though I believe that there are less than 10 in the whole country, with the majority being in Santo Domingo and I believe 1 in Santiago. There are more Burger Kings in the DR than McDonald's and I think only 1 Wendy's.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
8 McDonalds and 37 Burger Kings. Only one McDonalds outside of Santo Domingo and that's in Santiago.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
this seems like a strange thread. i wonder things like if Angelina Jolie will ever divorce or is Jessica Alba available ? :laugh:
not how many mickey d's there are in the dr....

Sep 19, 2005
I am pretty sure there are at least 3 in SANTIAGO.

One in the old section of the city, one on Estrella Saldaha ( I know I massacred the spelling)near the big super market and one out on AVE feb 27 in Los Colinas.

bob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i understand that the DR is the 91st country to have a McDonald's. this was back in 11/1996....

james

Jan 14, 2002
There are 3 McDonalds in Santiago: 1) Calle De Sol 2) Next to Supermercado National 3) one near the Caribe Bus station close to Jumbo.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
who owns the mcD's? who owns the burger kings? are they exclusive contracts? can somebody else buy a franchise?

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
story of mcdonalds in dr

Legend has it that mcdonalds in DR was started by one man who,under the funding of a rich lady friend opened the first mcdonalds in Dr and has exclusive rights. the story was told to me maybe 8 years back. I still get a kick of getting presidente beer at the drive thru though....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nope, the restaurant in SD (corner Sarasota & Churchill) that had the golden arches before McDonald's came. The place was designed to look like a total rip-off of McD's.
J/k.

You mean like McDowells in Coming to America?

Cleo McDowell said:
"They have the golden arches. We have the golden arcs."

Cleo McDowell said:
"They use the sesame seed bun. My buns have no seeds."

:cheeky:

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
Legend has it that mcdonalds in DR was started by one man who,under the funding of a rich lady friend opened the first mcdonalds in Dr and has exclusive rights. the story was told to me maybe 8 years back. I still get a kick of getting presidente beer at the drive thru though....

LOL...can i GET THAT PRESEDENTE SUPER SIZE POR FAVOR...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Can't say for McD's, but the BK license is for the entire country, and they outnumber McD's, as Robert said, almost 4 to 1.

That's what you call a pre-empty attack on your #1 enemy...
BK learned from their own experience in the US and European markets; playing it safe for the sake of profit vs. loss reports was their #1 reason to fail in both markets to take the flag from Mc Donald's.:chinese:

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
The thing that sucks is that Mc D's isn't open for breakfast- and that is the bes thing they serve up. Not much better than a couple of McMuffins on a hungover Sunday..

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mcdonalds and others are pretty well established down there already, even though I haven't seen many Subways (not like in The US where there's one every corner)

Now, if I had the money the franchise that's just waiting to get established in The DR is Starbucks. I can think of a couple of "yuppy" places where this would do very well, in addition to the airports, malls, etc.

You could also buy a Tim Hortons franchise and put it in Puerto Plata (or any place where a lot of Canadians visit) and you'll be striking gold. With this Canadians would be all set down in The DR. Imagine...sun, Sankies and Tim Hortons...talk about a winning combination