How many of the original members remain?

Jan 3, 2003
I don't know if I qualify as an original but I am pretty old here by now. My original start date according to the older of the two O&C accounts is 3-21-2002. I have had a permanent problem between two accounts that to this day Rob & co. have been unable to repair. But that is a sideshow and irrelevant to the thread.

How many do remain though? Of the oldest members currently posting, what are your start dates? Do you envision an end to your DR1 life? I for one do not post as often but I always like to check in once in a while. DR1 when I first began was quite the circus. I loved it so much that 10+ years later I am still here.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I started posting in 1997, and there was a reset or dump and next thing I knew I had a join date of 2002. Hillbilly and Ken, CC and Anna were all on the board then, I think.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I became a member end of 2002...kind of stopped visiting / posting in 2005 when I moved back to Holland and when planning to come back in DR in 2009 started visiting again, to my surprise my old username was still available.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My first post was in 1999. When the site went to "registration required" I boycotted for a while and just lurked. Finally, a post annoyed me enough that I registered as La Profesora and replied in June of 2002. In October of 2003 I forgot my login information, and couldn't get help (didn't know my way around all that well) so I re-registered as La Profe.

I wasn't trying to pull anything funny, just couldn't get back into my original account. So, been registered for eleven years and active without registration for three more.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was also posting pre-2002 when the format was switched. Can not remember when I first started checking DR1 but am on daily. When I am in the DR I tend not to check that much. Onion and Carrots and Golo were my favorites. This is my 500th post so you can see I only post when I have something relevant to add.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The board went to a forum type as we have now on Jan. 2002 and most of us had to join again so when you see a join date of early Jan. 2002 it means they have been here since before that date. Some of us joined right after the new year, some waited a few days to get over the New Year celebrations. The board started 1996 I believe. I joined July 1999.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I don't remember exactly when I discovered the message board. It was in the late 90's before it was DR1 I think. I read most days but seldom post. If you could go back and check the dates I think I only post during a full moon. ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Please take this as humorously as it is intended

Most older participants can't remember their birthdays.... let alone their dalliances.

Consider yourself 'dallying' for too long.

glad you're here to keep us us current...... or not!!??

Jan 3, 2003
The board went to a forum type as we have now on Jan. 2002 and most of us had to join again so when you see a join date of early Jan. 2002 it means they have been here since before that date. Some of us joined right after the new year, some waited a few days to get over the New Year celebrations. The board started 1996 I believe. I joined July 1999.

OK, so I was here before my start date of 3-21-2002 because I remember the old forum which wasn't much of anything. It was just one long stream of replies with no divisions or much of it back then. It has been a long time. I wonder why Robert began it all and was he interested in that early beginning to turn this into a moneymaking venture or did that just happen to be. It was sort of springing out of the ether stuff.

May 5, 2007
I guess I joined in 2007 but used to read the board prior to that, if it is any indication of when that was Hillbilly had an icon of a shhithouse door blowing open with flames coming out!

May 5, 2007
OK, so I was here before my start date of 3-21-2002 because I remember the old forum which wasn't much of anything. It was just one long stream of replies with no divisions or much of it back then. It has been a long time. I wonder why Robert began it all and was he interested in that early beginning to turn this into a moneymaking venture or did that just happen to be. It was sort of springing out of the ether stuff.

Wasn't DR1 an offshoot of the printed newspaper Santo Domingo Times, or something similar? I used to read that on leave in DR as it was one of the few English publications

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wasn't DR1 an offshoot of the printed newspaper Santo Domingo Times, or something similar? I used to read that on leave in DR as it was one of the few English publications

Yes, Santo Domingo News. I wrote the column Samana Notes for the paper.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How many do remain though? Of the oldest members currently posting, what are your start dates? Do you envision an end to your DR1 life? I for one do not post as often but I always like to check in once in a while. DR1 when I first began was quite the circus. I loved it so much that 10+ years later I am still here.

I've been on since the 1990s. We started over in 2002. I was the first to get 5000 posts. Robert had promised a prize, but I never got it.

When I had about 7000 posts, i took a couple of years off. Don't post as much as I once did because the forum has changed a lot. Previously it was all Dominican Republic with a majority of the post either by people looking for answers/help or by people responding. Not much of that anymore. By far the most popular section now is Off Topic. Second most seems to be bashing Sosua.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i joined shortly after moving to DR. i arrived in july. found dr1, registered straight away and posted some utter stupidity about having a DDD. guess i have undergone some major mental reconstruction since then. many posters from that time have disappeared.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I've been on since the 1990s. We started over in 2002. I was the first to get 5000 posts. Robert had promised a prize, but I never got it.

When I had about 7000 posts, i took a couple of years off. Don't post as much as I once did because the forum has changed a lot. Previously it was all Dominican Republic with a majority of the post either by people looking for answers/help or by people responding. Not much of that anymore. By far the most popular section now is Off Topic. Second most seems to be bashing Sosua.

Ha ha I remember that contest. I think MommC or whatever her name was stole the prize from you. She raced to get the most posts the quickest. She posted every 3 seconds. I wonder what happened to her and her hubby TonyC or whatever his name was.