How modern is Santo Domingo and DR in general?

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Let's leave it at that! Been there, done that and not "downtown/south beach", but in the newest developments south of 8th st and towards the edge of the everglades, by the Eden lakes...

SD just like Miami, has its good parts and bad ones as well. Been plenty of times to Aventura and pretty much everywhere else in Miami. Great city to have fun, just like SD but in dollars... With 24/7 power, water, sewage and plenty of Police from like ten different sources to pick from.

The day SD gets those three, prices for RE there will make Miami look like a poor's man other single option, for a tropical retirement home...

Sadly, Miami concentrated all the major vertical development in the small downtown area, while the rest is as flat as a 10yo girl's chest with freckles all over... SD is growing correctly with maximum dispersion area, while going vertical.

Being the oldest city to develop in the last few years, we're bound to see better infrastructure in SD than other older developed cities around today.

That's what's taking place with the SD Metro for example, since all is new to it, having been built from scratch; the SD Metro is by far the most advanced city rail system in this hemisphere, save none! Even while Venezuela is building some other new lines, the system they opted for was not cutting edge like ours. Same goes for the other Metro lines in Canada and the US, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, etc...

A Metro like the one in SD, would cost billions per km constructed there!

Give SD ten more years of speedy development and things will look much different by them... Give people 24/7 power, water & sewage as well as good Police, and things will get very expensive soon after all over the city.

I lived in Miami too before and like you say Pichardo there is good and bad parts like everywhere else, but for the cost of living SD wins hands down! Miami is toooooo expensive as a matter of fact the whole US in comparison to the DR is more expensive! I will be there in another few months to find a house, schools, and business opportunities and will be there permanently by Christmas! CAN'T WAIT.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
I disagree. I think for a similar lifestyle that I live in the U.S., the D.R. is not any cheaper.

To rent a 4 bedroom home with a pool, a 6 day a week maid, and a security guard from evening to morning in the US would cost you a small fortune! In the DR you could do the same for a little over $1300 dollars a month.

I know products like clothes and electronics are cheaper in the US but I don't mind paying a little more in the DR for that. Nothing is perfect in life.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Compare-----My home in Miami is all paid for, I still have to pay $9,300 property taxes, home and car insurance, and I only live in a lower middle class community.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Having been home in BOTH places I can tell you that Miami is just as common in criminal activity as SD 100%!

Been to clubs that lacked a door on the toilet stall, let alone the paper to wipe the bundy with! That's in Miami!~

Harleys with two welded pipes for mufflers are a dime a dozen cruising the Miami streets, with mopeds flying in and out of traffic at South Beach like if they were made of non-crushable materials! In SD they have Honda cubs/50s/70s/etc... In Miami they go with Indians, Harleys and choppers!

Go to downtown Miami and see people hanging out, let alone in most lower class "hoods" around the city. A few steps off from Brickell would suffice to find some action there! The same for SD...

Like I said, give SD electrical 24/7, water and proper sewage and it can beat Miami with one hand tied behind the back for comforts...

I can get around SD 100% on public transportation, try that in Miami and not have to leave a week's pay to the taxi cab driver, just for the fun of it!

As for depilated, ugh! looking places? SD has it all, but so too does Miami! Ever went to visit the marielito's Hialeah??? They have a bet with Cuba to see who can last longer without a hand of paint or some upgrades...

There's not a day that a boat mishap doesn't take place around Miami's marinas or waters, try that in SD? Your odds of getting run over by a drunken driver in the streets of SD, only pale to the odds of getting a "happy" boater/jet ski running you over twice in Miami. Heck! Even in the streets one must keep the eyes wide open, for the ones out of the water...

Crime in SD seems more of a problem, only because even Police are behind some of it (if not a good chunk of the overall crime waves). That's why I included a good Police and the jump of SD over Miami as a whole...

Here we go again.... OP, If you are you looking for true advice on this comparison because an important decision may be made because of it-be care which advice you take. Although Pichardo presents beautiful pics and will show you all day long how any of the BAD in the DR is matched equally in any city worldwide. These examples and pics he shows have truth, but the reality is whether its crime, garbage on streets, etc etc etc. yes, it exists everywhere, but expect much more here than the cities you mention...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
To rent a 4 bedroom home with a pool, a 6 day a week maid, and a security guard from evening to morning in the US would cost you a small fortune! In the DR you could do the same for a little over $1300 dollars a month.

I know products like clothes and electronics are cheaper in the US but I don't mind paying a little more in the DR for that. Nothing is perfect in life.

This might be very hard to do in decent areas of the capital-in my opinion. If I am wrong please show me example because i may be personally interested.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I lived in Aventura for a year. I feel safer in Santo Domingo. From Miami to Boca Raton you are only safe from the coast to the train tracks. Some of the similarities of Miami and SD are that if you are Wealthy you dont see the 90 percent of the rest of the city. Most people you meet are scam artists kind of the same in both places. The middle classes are conspicuous consumers lots of bling bling and shiny things they both live to wear someone elses brand name. Theres lots of Canucks in both places. The economies are similar ie tourism, agriculture and a small amount of manufacturing and white collar industry. They both have lots of what I call remora industries ie call centers, scam businesses. Florida nickel and dimes everyone with certification fees licensing fees ie bs taxes. The DR is a bit more aggressive with the customs and other fees but it is the same principal.
I personally like the DR more than So. Fla. I personally feel safer even though I cant carry a gun like I can in Fl. Buy once cry once, once you get a house and car the biggest expenses are gas and electricity.
The women are much hotter in Miami but they also cost alot more.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Maybe is time to renew/update the SD pictures???

Oh, no!!!! I created a monster!!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PUhKMqxgFbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe2DR

Apr 25, 2012
Mr. Expart13, I would say you are selling SD a bit short - all my friends speak or at least understand English and some of them speak more than one language. Also, none of them work in tourism.

I wouldnt go as far as expecting Panama in Santo Domingo either. Panama has much more of a gringo english speaking presence, and less of the insanity that exists here. Obviously expect SD to be twice as expensive as Panama as well.
This said, the Capital does have an abundance of restaurants and bar/night scene that will keep you busy, but dont expect alot of English speakers or Gringos.That is more up North.

Joe2DR

Apr 25, 2012
Pichardo and Captcrunch - I've lived in Miami all my life - I do not know where do you guys hangout in both places but sounds like you guys need an upgrade in places to visit/dine/party. I must give it to you, South Beach and theiur mopets sucks!

Having been home in BOTH places I can tell you that Miami is just as common in criminal activity as SD 100%!

Been to clubs that lacked a door on the toilet stall, let alone the paper to wipe the bundy with! That's in Miami!~

Harleys with two welded pipes for mufflers are a dime a dozen cruising the Miami streets, with mopeds flying in and out of traffic at South Beach like if they were made of non-crushable materials! In SD they have Honda cubs/50s/70s/etc... In Miami they go with Indians, Harleys and choppers!

Go to downtown Miami and see people hanging out, let alone in most lower class "hoods" around the city. A few steps off from Brickell would suffice to find some action there! The same for SD...

Like I said, give SD electrical 24/7, water and proper sewage and it can beat Miami with one hand tied behind the back for comforts...

I can get around SD 100% on public transportation, try that in Miami and not have to leave a week's pay to the taxi cab driver, just for the fun of it!

As for depilated, ugh! looking places? SD has it all, but so too does Miami! Ever went to visit the marielito's Hialeah??? They have a bet with Cuba to see who can last longer without a hand of paint or some upgrades...

There's not a day that a boat mishap doesn't take place around Miami's marinas or waters, try that in SD? Your odds of getting run over by a drunken driver in the streets of SD, only pale to the odds of getting a "happy" boater/jet ski running you over twice in Miami. Heck! Even in the streets one must keep the eyes wide open, for the ones out of the water...

Crime in SD seems more of a problem, only because even Police are behind some of it (if not a good chunk of the overall crime waves). That's why I included a good Police and the jump of SD over Miami as a whole...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo and Captcrunch - I've lived in Miami all my life - I do not know where do you guys hangout in both places but sounds like you guys need an upgrade in places to visit/dine/party. I must give it to you, South Beach and theiur mopets sucks!

Were the things I posted true or not? That's the question!

I wasn't posting on the better and refine places of Miami, which are a lot just like SD, but on the merits of some people trying to paint it as some picture perfect or overwhelmingly superior to SD. Both places share their bad traits, Miami has the upper hand based on the US economic power and development, but that's not a reason for them to put SD down as they tried.

Joe2DR

Apr 25, 2012
I must agree

Life in any Metropolitan city is as expensive as in Miami and SD. Now, if anyone here would like affordable housing in the USA you must sacrifice- the good paying job in the metropolitan city and all the luxuries of one.

I disagree. I think for a similar lifestyle that I live in the U.S., the D.R. is not any cheaper.

Joe2DR

Apr 25, 2012
Sir – all those are true. Please understand I am not saying otherwise - what I am trying to portray is both cities have similar issues (not counting utilities...)

Now, if you did not have the mean$ to afford all the commodities you have in DR, you wouldn’t be so opinionated and would wish to be living here in the USA.
</SPAN>
IF one has the mean$$$$ with what to live [and at times one belongs to the correct political side], you can live anywhere- call it Santiago, Santo Domingo, Caracas, Panama, Bogota, or Buenos Aires.

Were the things I posted true or not? That's the question!

I wasn't posting on the better and refine places of Miami, which are a lot just like SD, but on the merits of some people trying to paint it as some picture perfect or overwhelmingly superior to SD. Both places share their bad traits, Miami has the upper hand based on the US economic power and development, but that's not a reason for them to put SD down as they tried.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This might be very hard to do in decent areas of the capital-in my opinion. If I am wrong please show me example because i may be personally interested.

this is re the four bedroom with pool and full time maid and watchman for 1300 a month

i too, doubt it.

a modern two bedroom apartment goes for over $1000

a full time maid gets $300 to $400 and I would reckon an armed guard as well

not to mention the electricity and stuff for the pool.

However, you can get a nice two bedroom for $600 which is not possible anywhere in the States where I have ever lived.

You can get a cleaning woman for $25 a DAY which you cannot do in the US

You can get health insurance for $200 or less which you cannot do in the US

You can get the colmado, or the pharmacy, to deliver whatever you need almost 24.7

You can get to the beach or the mountains from the big city inside of two hours

You can get the cell phone number of your doctor

You can get the delivery guys from the grocery store to carry your bags home and up the stairs for a #1 tip

there are real advantages to living here... real advantages

but some real disadvantages as well

it would be so nice if we could have a truthful discussion of what they were

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Hi All,

I last went to DR over 10 years ago and basically sticked to Punta Cana and Higuey.

How modern are cities such as Santo Domingo and Santiago in comparison to Panama City, Miami, Rio de Janeiro, etc...? I mean in terms of streets, malls, condos, nightlife, hospitals, etc...

I really love Miami's vibe and by looking at pics on the internet, I kind of get the impression that there are some similarities. Am I right?

Panama City was great too, but it seemed so tiny when driving around. How big is Santo Domingo?

I do speak some spanish, but is english widespread in the capital?

Thanks

How modern are cities such as Santo Domingo and Santiago in comparison to Panama City, Miami, Rio de Janeiro, etc...? I mean in terms of streets, malls, condos, nightlife, hospitals, etc...

Santo Domingo has streets like Miami but they are in horrible condition with potholes and trash on them in many cases. There are malls with shopping about as good as Miami. There are beautiful condos an apartments in the downtown neighborhoods that can compare with Miami. Nightlife is pretty good but it is no Miami. The hospitals are ok but there are not as good as Miami. Santo Domingo is a step ahead of Santiago. It is like a second world city instead of a third world one. It is not as modern as a Miami but it has an awesome unique Spanish Caribbean feel to it that Miami does not have. Santo Domingo will have more modern conveniences than many American cities but not like Miami.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009

Santo Domingo has streets like Miami but they are in horrible condition with potholes and trash on them in many cases. There are malls with shopping about as good as Miami. There are beautiful condos an apartments in the downtown neighborhoods that can compare with Miami. Nightlife is pretty good but it is no Miami. The hospitals are ok but there are not as good as Miami. Santo Domingo is a step ahead of Santiago. It is like a second world city instead of a third world one. It is not as modern as a Miami but it has an awesome unique Spanish Caribbean feel to it that Miami does not have. Santo Domingo will have more modern conveniences than many American cities but not like Miami.

And I forgot...Crime is different in the cities you asked about.

Panama city is safer than Miami which is safer than Santo Domingo which is safer than Rio De Janeiro. Rio De Janeiro is one of the most dangerous places in the world. They ar eknown to kidnap and hold tourists for ransome. They have a murder rate that is many times higher than Santo DOmingo or Miami or Panama City.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Mr. Expart13, I would say you are selling SD a bit short - all my friends speak or at least understand English and some of them speak more than one language. Also, none of them work in tourism.

Mr. Joe2DR, I see you quoted me from a post more than 2 years ago, so things may have changed "pocitooooo" but I still stand behind my comments to the most part. Panama has more of a "gringo english speaking presence" and unless you hang in the offices of the higher educated or very unique areas, you will not say alot (i didnt no) of english speakers or Gringos.... I have a handfull of english speaking Dominican friends as well but I also realize this does not represent the norm.