how much do you know about sosua?, the north coast

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Olly, Derfish,

Now that we know what Olly is talking about...,

1- UFC did not seem to leave an impression on Sosua, or anywhere else south of DR, except bad memories :(

2- IMO, trujillo made sure DR was not considered a banana republic dominated by USA companies [UFC], actually he purchased the land owned, or rented, then by UFC

3- at least the later inmigrants to Sosua are still remembered, some still there I believe, by the cheese which is still sold all over DR

btw, during 1940' he paid the USA whatever was owed to them, consolidating his finca, DR, for himself, sugar cane was the product he promoted then,

we need to know where things come from, "history repeat itself", still a valid statement?

technology is changing everything...

rover

Aug 19, 2007
BTW, did you know Trujillo send war ships to Germany to fight against Hitler?,

Of course I heard of that. But did you also know that the D.R. sent 2 Nuclear submarines and an Aircraft Carrier to aid the Britts during The Falkland War.... :confused:

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
caribmike,

sorry for an incomplete history, so me back to the history books,

I understand that Hitler for sure destroyed some 3 DR ships, DR declared war prior to that

That must be the day Hitler understood that he will loose the war

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Dominican Republic WWII ships: The Philippines also has a, DE, several PCE/R's and a couple of AM's. Mexico also has several Auk class AM's in addition to vessels mentioned. South Korea hasn't finished decommissioning all its WWII LST's, nor Taiwan and latter has a WWII LSD also. Thailand and Vietnam also have WWII landing vessels, or at least their decommisioning hasn't been recorded by standard naval annuals. Several of Dominican Republic's main ships are WWII vintage but borderline 'warships'; net tenders, buoy tenders, minesweepers. Brazil, Paraguay, and Peru all have pre WWII river warships. Some of the navies mentioned and others still employ ATA's or ATF's as patrol vessels.

If 'warship' means frigate and up, then WWII types are almost gone, if including other categories there are still quite a few. If 'ship' in thread title were to mean any vessel, then a fair number of commercial tugs and some converted landing craft would be added, though other than that WWII built commercial vessels have become pretty rare too.

May 29, 2006
I believe the La Roca site used to be the headquarters for UFC in Sosua. It's one of the oldest buildings in El Batey.

May 29, 2006
La Roca was originally Sosua supermarket. (supercolmado Sosua) Even more interesting is the fact that the road in front used to be almost level with the store floor.

Now the road is about a meter lower.

Geez now I want to see some pics from back in the day. I wish I had photos of my first trip there in 1993. Back then, there were cane fields out past El Colibri. Eddy's really stuck out because they had the giant satellite TV dishes.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
caribmike, rover,

"What war ships?" I dont know but,

for those who like see DR war ships around thath time...,

3862145832_c2f05f7a75_zps9c0bec6c.jpg

f-102-111_zps83dcd089.jpg

Last edited:

rover

Aug 19, 2007
caribmike, rover,

"What war ships?" I dont know but,

for those who like see DR war ships around thath time...,

3862145832_c2f05f7a75_zps9c0bec6c.jpg

f-102-111_zps83dcd089.jpg

This must have been very frightening to Hitler indeed !

I believe I read the Pablo Duarte even engaged The Bismark ! ..:classic:

Thank you Empiric, I never even knew they had any class ship such as this in their Navy back then.

May 5, 2007
This must have been very frightening to Hitler indeed !

I believe I read the Pablo Duarte even engaged The Bismark ! ..:classic:

Thank you Empiric, I never even knew they had any class ship such as this in their Navy back then.

I can't read any Spanish but the last two pictures are of USS Natchez, a US river Patrol frigate (Look close you might see Criss Colon on board) :cheeky: transferred to the DR after WW 2 No idea what first boat is and or their significance to the DR Navy or WW 2 ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Nice, and what they were supposed to do against this? ;)

h59672.jpg

But on a serious note I really wasn't aware DR had bigger ships than this Coast Guard vessel. Interesting info.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
rover,

not to mention the luxury yatchts named, trujillo, ramfis, angelita

or the fleet of cars asigned to the police in each province long before WWII

btw, later USA senators used to go to DR to kiss Trujillo's ass, including Richard Nixon,

rover

Aug 19, 2007
For those that don't remember it was a lucky torpedo shot to the rudder that caused The Bismark to loose her ability to steer condemning her to travel in circles which enabled the British Navy to surround and destroy her.

Last edited:

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
cariimike, rover,

then you had to see the war airplanes... Trujillo had the most frightening war machinery, he built a machine gun factory, with the help of a german, 30mm i think they were

another german descendant Mr. J. Abbes, was his num 1 killer and the chief of the SIM, military intelligence service, he had electric chairs and all that,

spies in many countries, helped Cuba with arms to prevent Fidel Castro come to power, then won a few military invasion that departed from Cuba, arriving by the north coast, Luperon etc

When fidel won in cuba mr. abbes was in cuba... had to run for his life... LOL

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Nice, and what they were supposed to do against this? ;)

h59672.jpg

But on a serious note I really wasn't aware DR had bigger ships than this Coast Guard vessel. Interesting info.

In case you forgot, a woman pubic hair has more power than that, ask
galindez...

easy, get aboard a bunch of bachata dancing women, and hitlers navy would give up

I know the history about ships from all over the world coming to dr, for sugar, iron, salt... you name it,

btw, a US dollar was only worst 80 dominican cents, 20% less, still at the bigining of the 1960', some stores, colmados, did not even wanted to deal with that currency, only those with a lot of extra cash

so it was a killing for some store owners who could afford deal with dollars, higher prices... eventually I will let you know about it

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Islandreaming

"I can't read any Spanish but the last two pictures are of USS Natchez, a US river Patrol frigate (Look close you might see Criss Colon on board) transferred to the DR after WW 2 No idea what first boat is and or their significance to the DR Navy or WW 2 ?"

it is the same frigate, a war ship, asigned to the DR navy [1943] BEFORE the end of WWII [1945], renamed F-102 JUAN PABLO DUARTE

during 1949 it run aground in the north coast, Puerto Plata.

So Trujillo "sold" it to eng. felix benitez rexach, an engineer from puerto rico who did a lot of work for trujillo
Felix converted the ship to a personal yatcht, renamed the ship again with his french wife's name, MONIEAU