how to get from punta cana airport to sosua

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i just rented a car in punta Cana and drop it off in the capital no extra charge... I used hertz

today i asked AVIS they charge almost 180 dollars retunr fee plus rental fee....the insurance is not yet included. but maybe renting a car to go to SD and from there then go by bus?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
today i asked AVIS they charge almost 180 dollars retunr fee plus rental fee....the insurance is not yet included. but maybe renting a car to go to SD and from there then go by bus?

The fee for not returning it to where you picked it up would probably be the same, no?
Rent it for the whole trip maybe? And take it back to where you picked it up when you go home.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Public transportation between Punta Cana and Sosua/Cabarete would work as follows:

1. Take a cab to get to the Expreso Bávaro bus station in Verón (Punta Cana). (You will see from the timetable below that there are only 6 buses a day from Verón to Santo Domingo, there are more buses from Higüey than from Verón/Punta Cana so if there is no suitable Expreso Bávaro bus from Verón then Cocotours would have to drive you from Punta Cana airport all the way to the Expreso Higüey bus station in the town of Higüey, a 45-minute drive from Punta Cana airport.

2. Ride the Expreso Bávaro bus from Verón to Santo Domingo. The Expreso Bávaro buses tend to be new and clean, their new buses have reclinable seat backs, and an on board toilet, but there is not much legroom, and for most of the ride Hollywood movies are shown on flat screens attached to the ceiling, with the Spanish soundtrack blaring out of speakers throughout the bus. Maybe a good idea to bring earplugs if you don't want to listen to the movie which may feature such sounds of gunshots, car chases and police sirens etc. The Expreso Bávaro buses also have an on board ticket collector who will walk up the aisle shortly after departure to collect your ticket, or your fare since it is possible to board the bus without a ticket and pay onboard. The Expreso Bávaro buses arrive at the bus terminus on Juan Sánchez Ramírez street in Santo Domingo. The Expreso Higüey buses terminate at the bus station at Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo.

3. Take a cab across Santo Domingo from the Expreso Bávaro bus terminus to the Metro Bus station. An alternative would be to take a Caribe Tours bus from the Caribe Tours bus station in Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata, however generally the Caribe Tours buses make more stops en route. Metro and Caribe Tours buses are airconditioned, and always have toilets onboard. A short stop is normally made in Santiago (or la Vega) en route where there are additional toilets and cafeterias where food can be purchased for consumption onboard.

4.Ride the Metro Bus (or Caribe Tours bus) from Santo Domingo to Sosua The journey takes about 4.5 hours.

--------
It is quite the adventure and almost like taking the trip you just took by air all over again on the ground as far as the length of time goes and certainly is a lot more of a hassle. Of course your arrival time will dictate if it is possible to make this trip in one day or if you need to spend the night somewhere along the way. Once you get on Metro or Caribe buses, you are on your way to Sosua. We have a neighbor who plays gigs in Punta Cana. He says he can drive from Punta Cana to Cabarete in around 6 to 6.5 hours and he does not use a helicopter. Some of our guests have rented cars, but then they were returning them to Punta Cana at the end of their trips when returning home.

...In #3 as Windy says you change buses in santo Domingo.... that is by far the worst part.. I have done this trip several times and you can spend almost half the day in Santo Domingo, if things dont go right.....Windys directions are good, but if you make this bus trip , from punta cana to Sousa....I think you will never do again......Doc.....

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
maybe then rent a car punta cana to santo domingo ...if hertz does not charge return fee...and then from there by Metro or caribe tours to puerto plata

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
maybe then rent a car punta cana to santo domingo ...if hertz does not charge return fee...and then from there by Metro or caribe tours to puerto plata

You can check Hertz website but there is a $100 USD drop off fee if picking up at PUJ and dropping off at SDQ.

I always use Alamo/National and the only time there is no drop off fee is if you are returning the car within the same city as rented. I can pick up at Santo Domingo airport and drop off downtown Santo Domingo with no additional fee.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You can check Hertz website but there is a $100 USD drop off fee if picking up at PUJ and dropping off at SDQ....................

For that same $100 USD drop off fee you can pick up at PUJ airport and drop off at POP airport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Renting a car means you do not have to deal with SD traffic. You take the new Hwy to Nagua . You have no idea the traffic mess in SD. As bigbird says above, you can rent in PUJ and drop off in POP. There are a load of rentals at the airport. Just ask around and you might even find one with no drop off fee.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sandy
The Punta Cana to POP suggestion is worth a try.... best option maybe.

The new highway via Nagua is the better route.
From SDQ and new highway....
One hour on the highway..... 20 minutes to Nagua....a little over two hours to Sosua.

Very little to no traffic.

Am easy drive

Good luck 

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why has no one suggested a flight into Santiago (STI)???

Unless the person is coming from Europe, then I understand and all bets are off.

HB

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
If you decide on a car rental, follow the southern coastal highway (RT 3) to (RT 4) towards Santo Domingo, then follow (RT 7) towards Nagua (Note: Once you get to the toll plaza you will need to get to the FAR RIGHT lane and take the service road into RT 7). Stay on RT 7 to the northern coast and pick up (RT 5) towards Nagua and continue on RT 5 right into Sosua. The drive should be approximately 5 1/2 hours depending on how fast you drive. Safe trip!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If you decide on a car rental, follow the southern coastal highway (RT 3) to (RT 4) towards Santo Domingo, then follow (RT 7) towards Nagua (Note: Once you get to the toll plaza you will need to get to the FAR RIGHT lane and take the service road into RT 7). Stay on RT 7 to the northern coast and pick up (RT 5) towards Nagua and continue on RT 5 right into Sosua. The drive should be approximately 5 1/2 hours depending on how fast you drive. Safe trip!

It usually took me closer to 7 hours. Also be aware that there is about $10.00 in tolls, so be prepared with pesos for that.
Der Fish

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
For the very creative:
Take the guagua from San Juan Plaza to Miches, overnight, then ferry to Samana and then the bus Transportes to Sosua.

I have a flight on the 7th of July, Sadly got only a flight to Punta Cana...connection to POP was full. What would be the best way to get to Sosua? Arriving 2pm in Punta Cana.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just made the same trip. 5 1/2 hours.

Just to add this. On the Hwy to Nagua there are usually one or more speed traps with radar. The limit is 80KM. I use a radar detector and make sure I have cover following someone at the speed I am comfortable with. These traps are on long straightaways both ways. One is almost always close to the start heading to Nagua.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and they always stand in the shade.... clearly visible from far away....on your side of the road

Look far ahead and you'll be warned.

Even at 90KMH they might pinch you

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
True about the shade. I generally do not stop, just wave and go on.

Not here with these guys. If you go on you will be stopped later one way or the other. There is nowhere to turn off the Hwy.