How to shop for real estate in DR?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My contribution for what it's worth. I've been staying here for six winters and have checked out real estate listed through agents and being sold privately. Agents showed me property in La Mulata and said it was a safe area. A complete lie! There is very little compliance with North Amercian wiring and plumbing codes here. Construction techniques and quality vary significantly. Having restored and sold six houses in Canada, I've developed a keen eye for potential structural, wiring, and plumbing problems, friends of mine purchased houses that crumbled because proper masonary techniques weren't adhered to. Major plumbing and rewiring jobs were required in virtually new houses. They also bought in areas where houses are difficult to sell. They reduced their prices to half and after two years still haven't had any buyers even look at their property. What I'm saying here is buyer beware Your not protected here like you are in Canada when problems arise with the house or the buying process. Rent and take your time to get the lay of the land here. I purchased a membership in a resort, am charged $40 a day for everything and use it as my base to check out property in different areas.