How well is English taught in the DR?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Linda

Linda,

Okay I am glad you mentioned that students have been incorrectly taught by Dominican teachers thus exacerbating the problem. I have come to this conclusion on my own based on observation and how my own friends speak who are English teachers.

You are most correct in saying that students deserve the best but I am starting to believe that good English teachers in the DR are scarce. I am not sure I agree with the teaching methodology but then again it depends on the objective of program and the grade level of the students.

I was teacher for several years too and opted to get out of that profession but I still have an interest and I am called upon for private tutoring etc. and I will always do it but it's not easy. I think my situation was a little bit better since I was teaching Spanish to high school students, which is all grammar based. It's cut and dry. One either understands how conjugate verbs or not, or the parts of speech and how they work in a phrase or not so the ESL or EFL methodology did not apply and honestly I question the effectiveness. You are correct in saying that perfecting one's accent is not the objective but rather teaching vocabulary and sentence structure thus enabling the students to be able to express themselves. I also feel reading in the target language is key to ascertaining a strong vocabulary and it's not emphasized enough.

-Lesley D

Linda Stapleton said:
Whilst I have been very impressed by the level of English some students have achieved, often with very little or no formal training, I am also frequently saddened to see how many mistakes are made by students who have been taught by Dominican teachers. As the same mistakes keep recurring, even when students have been taught by different teachers, I have to conclude that they are not all caused by student error. I am not referring to differences in pronunciation, and believe that comprehension and the ability to communicate are to be aimed for rather than a perfect replication of English or American accents. It is very difficult to eliminate the influence of one's native language on accent, as my very English Spanish exemplifies. In addition to this, whilst students may have a reasonable or good vocabulary, many find it very difficult to express themselves in English, which would tie in with the previous comments about learning by rote.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Kati07 said:
Is there anyone out there who knows what type of teaching methods or strategies are used to teach English in primary and secondary schools? :cry:

Although I hate to enter into this discussion, I find it necessary to do so and hopefully clear up some of he misconceptions about methods, abilities, techniques, etc. used to teach English in the public and some of the private schools.

By in large the teacher uses a picture book about 1/2 t0 3/4 of an inch thick. This book has maybe 15-20 lines of dialouge on each page. She/he reads (using the Spanish pronunciation of the letters) to the students; they then respond, alternately sub-vocal/a little louder what the teachers is presumed to have said. There is virtually no time spent in encouraging the student to speak out nor to correct their pronunciation. There is virtually no vocabulary building homework given for future testing. It is a rote method of presenting an alien language which the teacher oftimes doesn't understand either, so how can they possible "teach" it.
Tie this with a natural reluctance of young people to make mistakes and you have an immediate failure of communication and therefore of learning. You have, however filled in the blocks required by the system.
Teaching...it's a joke of the first water.

Texas Bill

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Communicative Language Teaching! Finally, someone who knows what she is talking about. Sadly, there are very few teachers who do. Most, like I commented previously and Texas Bill indicates, teach by rote which is just having students repeat whatever the teacher says with little or no understanding of the language (i.e. English).

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Maybe this should be a different thread, BUT...

The methodology employed in the teaching of English in the Dominicaan Public (and in many Private) Schools is an outstanding example of gross inefficiency, complascency and ineffectual endeavor.

Virtually ALL subjects are taught from what i would refer to as an "Outline presentation". There is virtually NO in-depth coverage of the subject matter. All the 'teachers' are doing is introducing the subject matter to the student. There are NO textbooks such as we enjoy elsewhere (I hesitate to say 'in the States') and this failure is present throughout the entire system!

In order for the educational programs to be effective, there needs to be a total overhaul of the entire system...from philosophy of education to the actual teaching tools to be made available.

With the country baarely unable to provide even the meanest infrastructure facilities( electricity, a pure water supply, sewage disposal, and other 'clean' environmental factors) I fail to see an immediate workable solution surfacing in my lifetime.

Texas Bill

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Hope for Everything, Expect Nothing

I have to say that, sadly, I'm inclined to agree with you, Texas Bill, but we shouldn't give up hope. I'm aiming to do my bit in my little corner and am trying to change this situation one student at a time. Admittedly, at present I've opted out of teaching large groups in the public or private system and am concentrating on one or two students at a time, which is a luxury, but I do find them making incredible progress with CLM. Who knows, maybe one day I'll go back into the fray. It is hard work, badly paid, but incredibly satisfying.

My philosophy is hope for everything and expect nothing, so who knows what can change, maybe at least in my lifetime, as I have just a few years on you, Texas Bill ;)

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Gross Overgeneralizations ! ! !

I'm an American who has lived in this quasi-paradise for 8 years; subatantially all in POP . I've taught English as a 2nd language, mostly to 10 - 15 age groups; I've also taught, in effect, a sophomore high school class, all in English, all subjects. My very personal overview:

1. The public education system is nearly totally worthnless. Why? The students don't care; the parents don't care, the teachers don't care. The Gov't spends very little on education. Education has no posivitve role in Hispanic culture. 95% of Domincans drop out before they graduate from high school. Few tests! No homework! Discipline, homework, & practice are simply meaningless.

2. English?? Each DR student is required to receive 3 years of English language instruction during elementary school; few do; again, nobody cares.

3. Dominican Enghish language teachers?? Poor to fair. American or Canadian residentially experienced English teachers: good to very good.

4. Private shools re: English teaching?? Good to very good. There is discipline! These is homework! There are tests. In many schools, there is summer school for the academicly needy, willing or not. Most parents care more; they have to pay monthly. Most teachers are much better qualified & take much more professional pride in their work.

5. Literacy?? My estimate is that approx. 30 - 45% of Dominicans are literate . . . IN SPANISH!! Depending on how weekly the noun "literacy" is defined. Don't believe the Gov't statistics!! In English? 2 - 5%; again my estimate. A national disgrace!! Period.

6. Haitians?? In my experience, a greater % of Haitians speak some English; and better English than Dominicans. Why? A national disgrace!! Period.

7. Dominican Yorks?? Why are so many Dominican Yorks [ie DRs who have lived in the USA for 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 years] & who have permanently returned to the DR unable or unwilling to speak any English?

One American's opinion! Over generalized, I admit cheerfully.

Nov 5, 2004
Getting a job as an english teacher?

So what requirments would a Canadian who would like to teach english to children have to meet?

How hard would it be to get hired as an english teacher at a school in a small town?

Nov 5, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
So what requirments would a Canadian who would like to teach english to children have to meet?

How hard would it be to get hired as an english teacher at a school in a small town?
No one knows anything about this??

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
If your a Native English speaker and are willing to take the low pay it should be really easy to find a job teaching. I found a job without even asking at a University in the capitol in less than a few weeks. A new friend wanted to bail on his class in the middle of the trimester, and he got me the job. By the end of the next month I picked up 2 more classes, and was frequentlty called to substitute. It seems like the work ethic of dominican teachers is less than I'm used to seeing. My administrators seem thrilled to have a teacher that they can count on. Teachers at my school are pulling more than 40 hours a week, if they want. Many of the teachers are there because they needed a job and speak english without any love or concern for teaching. I suppose in a small town the money might be less than the 110pesos/hr., and I suppose that the jobs may be more scarce, but probably so are the teachers. Good Luck.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
This would sound fairly similar to my experience. I have been quite dismayed to find that some language schools are quite happy to take on anyone who is a native English speaker, regardless of whether or not they have teaching qualifications or experience. Just because someone speaks a language does not necessarily mean they can teach it, but......

My experience in the private language schools I am familiar with is that they offer the teacher half of the fees paid by the students. So, for example, if there are 60 students registered, paying 400 pesos a month each, the teacher could earn 12,000 pesos a month, which in this country is good (not easy to live on, but still comparatively good). HOWEVER, the problem arises when the students don't pay their fees, which is often the case. You have to establish early on whether or not you will continue to be paid for the number of students you have taught as opposed to the number of students you have taught who have actually paid. Sometimes they even expect the teacher to be responsible for chasing students for payment, which can really be a full time job. Just something to bear in mind.

Good luck.
Linda.