Hundreds of inmates flee after armed gangs storm Haiti’s main prison, leaving bodies behind

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Updated 6:28 PM GMT-4, March 3, 2024

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Hundreds of inmates fled Haiti’s main prison after armed gangs stormed the facility in an overnight explosion of violence that engulfed much of the capital. At least five people were dead Sunday.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Dominican law enforcers need to be ready for this. Some of them will end up in the DR.
That's my concern too, NALs. One can imagine that escapees after living a hellish life in Haitian prisons are going to focus on getting across the border into the D.R. to have a sense of normalcy. I would be surprised if President Abinader doesn't address this pressing issue tomorrow by sending more military to the border. I'm not trying to ratchet up drama, but out-of-control violent Haitian gangs launching seige of two national prisons, the airport, the soccer sports stadium,... the gangs have tipped the scales from small skirmishes with police to massive firepower with intent to take control of the government. Haitain gang dictator, Barbeque, saw P.M. Ariel's out-of-country visit to Africa as a vacuum of authority to make power moves in Haiti. The Haitian police are being out-gunned. The Dominican Republic is now at bigger risk of maintaining security.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That's my concern too, NALs. One can imagine that escapees after living a hellish life in Haitian prisons are going to focus on getting across the border into the D.R. to have a sense of normalcy. I would be surprised if President Abinader doesn't address this pressing issue tomorrow by sending more military to the border. I'm not trying to ratchet up drama, but out-of-control violent Haitian gangs launching seige of two national prisons, the airport, the soccer sports stadium,... the gangs have tipped the scales from small skirmishes with police to massive firepower with intent to take control of the government. Haitain gang dictator, Barbeque, saw P.M. Ariel's out-of-country visit to Africa as a vacuum of authority to make power moves in Haiti. The Haitian police are being out-gunned. The Dominican Republic is now at bigger risk of maintaining security.
Ariel was in Kenya to specifically sign the Kenya-Haiti Intervention agreement required by the Kenyan judiciary before Kenyan troops can set boots on Haitian soil. The legal agreement was signed last Friday. Another hurdle overcome. Money is still the big issue. The US upped the financial ante, Canada kicked in another $80 million but it’s still far short of the Kenyan $550 million asking price. The UN has to come up with the remaining funds.

Some airlines have stopped flying into Port Au Prince. One flight was hit by a bullet during a skirmish near the airport. Other flights diverted or refused to land because of the skirmishes. The prison invasion and resulting escape of hundreds of jailed gang members is just another step in Haiti’s continued downward spiral. BBQ got International media attention last week. Exactly what he was looking for to further his political cause by violent means. I think one can assume if he is elected President, it would be a carbon copy of the Poppa Doc and Baby Doc Duvalier regimes. Some would say that’s exactly what Haiti needs. A violent President to keep the people under heel.

Even Dante would have a hard time conceiving what kind of hell Haiti has become. It’s no surprise only Kenyan mercenaries are interested in putting their lives on the line for what has become a lost cause. The US and Canada are aware of the futility. That’s why they are willing to throw cash at it and not boots on the ground. Haiti continues to be a sideshow of a bigger sideshow, the Ukraine invasion and will be treated accordingly by the UN.

If, and it’s a big if, large scale violence washes over the DR border, the DR government might need help from other countries. Coalition forces may be needed to beef up DR military operations along the border and the DR coastline. Two of the most vulnerable areas.

Reactions: aarhus and Lucifer

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Dominican law enforcers need to be ready for this. Some of them will end up in the DR.
I think it’s safe to say some already reside in the DR having had plenty of time, money, and resources to form links to Haitian communities already established in the DR. It’s also safe to say many more will come. The border is porous and the gang members have money to bribe the DR military guards.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Who thinks more than another half billion dollars on Haiti will accomplish anything just to send Kenyan mercenaries
who will mostly end up dead?

More troops to the DR border is an excellent idea.

Interesting idea that people just released from prison have money to bribe DR border guards.

Better to send support with money and troops to the DR. Haiti never had hope.

Reactions: XQT

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Commented the "news" thread.
Exactly...
I wonder how many of them are already in the Dar?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Commented the "news" thread.
Exactly...
I wonder how many of them are already in the Dar?
As you commented in other thread could also be on the way to the states. There is a large haitian community in Miami. I have also noticed from the news that there is a big haitian community in Chile.

Reactions: PCMike

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
As you commented in other thread could also be on the way to the states. There is a large haitian community in Miami. I have also noticed from the news that there is a big haitian community in Chile.
Large Haitian community in Montreal as well. The Quebec government has strict language laws and prefer immigrants who speak French. They seem to settle well into the Québécois culture. Rarely do you hear anything about the extended Haitian community in Montreal.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Large Haitian community in Montreal as well. The Quebec government has strict language laws and prefer immigrants who speak French. They seem to settle well into the Québécois culture. Rarely do you hear anything about the extended Haitian community in Montreal.
Do they really speak French ?

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Interesting, as most Haitians do not speak French

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Many Parisian's would say the French spoken in Quebec is not an educated form of the language. It’s a patois of old French, Irish, English, and Scottish.
Well I thought they speak French in Quebec but not in Haiti

Reactions: Big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting, as most Haitians do not speak French
Most Haitians that immigrated to Quebec were the upper class and upper middle class that learned French in private schools in Haiti, so yes most of them do speak French. Most of the citizens of Montral also speak proper French. It is the upcountry Quebecois that speak dialects. My father grew up speaking French at home in New Brunswick, Acadian French, which is like they speak in Louisiana.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Well I thought they speak French in Quebec but not in Haiti
They do and probably more recognizable as French than Haitian French. I speak a bit of French and I have difficulty understanding and communicating with Quebecers. I don’t have a problem understanding and communicating with residents in St. Pierre and Miquelon, two islands owned by France about 12 miles off our South Coast. Also remember the Español spoken in the DR, Spain, and Mexico is different because of different cultural influences.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Most Haitians that immigrated to Quebec were the upper class and upper middle class that learned French in private schools in Haiti, so yes most of them do speak French. Most of the citizens of Montral also speak proper French. It is the upcountry Quebecois that speak dialects. My father grew up speaking French at home in New Brunswick, Acadian French, which is like they speak in Louisiana.
Some Acadians also migrated to my province when they were displaced by the English. We have Acadian French, Old French from the French fishermen who jumped ship and married aboriginals in our province, and another French patois from other immigrants. An interesting mix Bob. My grandparents on my mother’s side spoke old French. Their ancestors were from Brittany.