Hurricane Maria Preparations

What you are doing to prep for Maria?

• I'm invincible. Bring it on and more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Well...it's Déjà vu all over again!  Early part of today was out with the civil defense crew, speaking to local's in the barrio about moving too some of the schools. These people where both Dominican and Haitian families.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Well...it's Déjà vu all over again!  Early part of today was out with the civil defense crew, speaking to local's in the barrio about moving too some of the schools. These people where both Dominican and Haitian families.

Respect for you. Do you have an idea of how many have/will leave their homes and go to shelters.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
The impression I got from my 2 hours with the civil defense is that some people are in the mindset that nothing happened 2 weeks ago so nothing is going to happen this time! (not all, but some). Experience tell me that some will wait till the last minute. No a big deal for me back in NYC when many was home prepare the Turkey, I was in volunteering at a church....Thanks!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
It's hard to leave everything that you have. Not only do you want to protect in from the storm but you KNOW that those good neighbors may need something (or everything) that you have.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
No one wants to leave their homes, don't want someone else helping themselves to the little possession they already have. Again, hope for the best and no unwanted loss of liv

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A little bit of rain here in Santiago. It looks like its path runs further off the coast than Irma did.
Not worried at all.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
East of Sosua ocean front. Just had a band of hard wind and rain out of the N.E. Surf is up and blowing. Had to go out and find the dogs that had hunkered down to get them in. Closed all windows and had to turn on some AC. BIG dog has taken over the whole bottom of my bed hogging the fan that I like blowing on me. (smart he is... lol)

Power and all is still on.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Well that changed fast. Wind steady and rain pouring. Just saw a "flash" out somewhere and power out now. Gen should auto start soon? (or I brave it to start.) Big dog still happy.

Oops. TV cable just went too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well that changed fast. Wind steady and rain pouring. Just saw a "flash" out somewhere and power out now. Gen should auto start soon? (or I brave it to start.) Big dog still happy.

Oops. TV cable just went too.

The utility companies must be preparing for MARIA. They like to cut service any way, and this just gives them an excuse.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
The utility companies must be preparing for MARIA. They like to cut service any way, and this just gives them an excuse.

The flash was more like a transformer explosion. Though I agree 100% that... I really dislike Ednorte.

A lull in the wind and rain so figured I'd just manually start the gen, shut off Edenorte and be comfortable for the night and not worry about inverter/ede/gen switching around all night long.

Now my only problem is.................................................. Big dog snores and I have no place for my feet.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR has been extremely lucky. This is what was missed by hair! 

The Mayor of San Juan on the brinks of crying 
[video=youtube;tRQBy1KCkjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQBy1KCkjs[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The entire island is devastated. Keep in mind that while PR is a small island, its not the size of a postage stamp. PR is about the size of the entire eastern region of the DR. That the whole island is devastated is horrible to an incomparable dimension. 

[video=youtube;zNFnVIlE6cA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFnVIlE6cA[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This guy is covering the news in Spanish, judging by his accent could be Argentinian or Uruguyan. People don't need to know Spanish to understand the devastation that is clearly visible.

He even show a cement pole completely toppled and broken into many pieces.

I remember over a decade ago when the wooden powerline poles were being replaced by the cement ones all over the DR, supposedly because they can withstand hurricane force winds (also can't be eaten by termites)! 

[video=youtube;zRGf_-oJo_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGf_-oJo_I[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Water has filtered through the roof of Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, where over 80% of all flights are handled in PR. The inside of the terminal is flooded! 

[video=youtube;zuPsez9_uFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPsez9_uFM[/video]