I Am Going Back To Va For 8 Months :-(

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ALB3, thanks for the offer. I'll probably take you up on that! First order of biz would be select a good spot other than my home (which would still be available as a last resort, although I might rue the day...)

Jon, right now I would be looking to plan something like a summer BBQ, so it would probably be June at the earliest and August at the latest. Hey, if you can bring up some Dominicans when the time comes, all the better.

John, sure hope you can make it this year, man -- been too long. But I understand that all depends on what Mother Nature throws your way... still, as close as we live to each other, I still think we can swing a beer sometime. Whatcha say?

There's alot of people in the DC Area yet to be heard from -- kingofdice, hormiga, kjdrga, Don Juan, Deelt, Natasha, DCfred, GilbertArenas, Tordok, cloaked, jonfromva, sancochojoe spring to mind off the top of my head. How about it folks? If you're shy about posting the details publicly on the board, email or PM me.

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe this should be broken out into a separate thread...

dominicanita123

Jul 8, 2004
I live in VA too!

My name is Debbie and I live in Arlington, VA --- I would love to be included in this reunion (even if I haven't met any of you). I'm planning on going to DR mid July. Who else lives in Arlington?? I know where they say Presidentes -- you can buy the case in DC for like $23!!!!

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Keith R said:
ALB3, thanks for the offer. I'll probably take you up on that! First order of biz would be select a good spot other than my home (which would still be available as a last resort, although I might rue the day...)

Jon, right now I would be looking to plan something like a summer BBQ, so it would probably be June at the earliest and August at the latest. Hey, if you can bring up some Dominicans when the time comes, all the better.

John, sure hope you can make it this year, man -- been too long. But I understand that all depends on what Mother Nature throws your way... still, as close as we live to each other, I still think we can swing a beer sometime. Whatcha say?

There's alot of people in the DC Area yet to be heard from -- kingofdice, hormiga, kjdrga, Don Juan, Deelt, Natasha, DCfred, GilbertArenas, Tordok, cloaked, jonfromva, sancochojoe spring to mind off the top of my head. How about it folks? If you're shy about posting the details publicly on the board, email or PM me.

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe this should be broken out into a separate thread...

Keith,
If you plan it for mid to late summer, Bob and I may be able to make it. Don't know if Oni told, but we are expecting baby # 2 anyday now.

Cheers,
Natasha

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
dcareamama said:
Keith,
If you plan it for mid to late summer, Bob and I may be able to make it. Don't know if Oni told, but we are expecting baby # 2 anyday now.

Cheers,
Natasha
No, Oni forgot to tell me. :ermm: ?Felicidades! I'm very happy for you guys. How's the principe taking the idea of having a baby brother/sister?

I would love to have you guys attend, and as you, Bob and Don Juan know from last year, in Dominican fashion our parties are open to bringing the family, so it's not required to get a babysitter (except for maybe if you need a night out for your own sanity! :cheeky: been there! done that! LOL) You know if you bring a new babe to the party everybody will be fawning over him/her, especially if he/she is as cute as Alexander. ;)

Un abrazo fuerte,
Keith

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Congrats Natasha!!! And here I am thinking that I was going to ask you for a favor. A friend from church is doing a project in Liberia and needs some help preparing the school curriculum (post-civil was conflict, etc.). He is mostly self-funding, working 16-hr days to make it happen, the building of a school (and road) in a village (truly an awesome post-conflict story). Please PM me if you know of anyone that can help him out that would be great. Pro-bono, of course.

With regards to the DR1-DC gathering my proposal is to do it at Rock Creek Park, Picnic Lot #6. Plenty of parking and we can do what we want.

The benefits:
1. Unbiased to the extreme drivers
2. Plenty of parking
3. Simple: we go do our thing and nobody gets hurt with clean-up
4. Open area for the kids to play
5. Has a covered area in case of rain

If I can have the house to myself during the summer (I'll let you know) I can volunteer my place, but I don't want to commit right now since my work schedule can be a bit crazy. Until then I think Rock Creek Park is the better, more central option. If every one chips a $10 in we can just get stuff done from Carolina's (a local Dominican Restaurant, not too far away from the park) so no need to cook. But the fellas can bring the drinks.

Lata'
D

dcareamama said:
Keith,

Cheers,
Natasha

mizzmaddy

May 9, 2005
New Dominican in Northern VA - buscando mi gente

Hey everyone...I just moved down here (Dumfries) in September from Massachusetts and I'm having some serious culture shock. I lived in Lawrence, MA...if anyone knows Lawrence, it's like a mini Alto-Manhattan up there. Here I have no family and no one except my boyfriend and I'm trying to reach out to my Dominican people. I listen to El Zol 99.1 to stay in touch with the music. I finally found a Spanish store that sells patanos y queso de freir. Yo soy una Dominicana morena...and it cracks me up when I speak Spanish to some of the other non-Dominican Latinos around here. They do a tripple take because first they're shocked I can speak Spanish and then they have a hard time figuring out what Dominican is and where I learned to speak Spanish. So if there's anyone in the area that would like to compare war stories and give me some pointers about where to find some good food or anything...or even just to hang out sometime that would be great!!!!

;)

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Welcome

mizzmaddy said:
Hey everyone...I just moved down here (Dumfries) in September from Massachusetts and I'm having some serious culture shock. I lived in Lawrence, MA...if anyone knows Lawrence, it's like a mini Alto-Manhattan up there. Here I have no family and no one except my boyfriend and I'm trying to reach out to my Dominican people. I listen to El Zol 99.1 to stay in touch with the music. I finally found a Spanish store that sells patanos y queso de freir. Yo soy una Dominicana morena...and it cracks me up when I speak Spanish to some of the other non-Dominican Latinos around here. They do a tripple take because first they're shocked I can speak Spanish and then they have a hard time figuring out what Dominican is and where I learned to speak Spanish. So if there's anyone in the area that would like to compare war stories and give me some pointers about where to find some good food or anything...or even just to hang out sometime that would be great!!!!

;)

Welcome to the DC/NoVa area! I understand your frustrations with the Central Americans in this area. While this area is no NYC, Rhode Island, or Lawrence, MA as far as Dominicans go, there are enough Dominicans around. Whenever this summer shin-dig is put together please come and drag your boyfriend with you.

Don't be a stranger!!

mizzmaddy

May 9, 2005
Count me in!

ALB3 said:
Welcome to the DC/NoVa area! I understand your frustrations with the Central Americans in this area. While this area is no NYC, Rhode Island, or Lawrence, MA as far as Dominicans go, there are enough Dominicans around. Whenever this summer shin-dig is put together please come and drag your boyfriend with you.

Don't be a stranger!!

Count me in! I'm so glad I found this site. I'll stay in touch! :bunny:

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
DC- Northern VA DR1ers, King is still here and will make every attempt to attend a DR1 party sometime over the summer, if I not down in Santo Domingo. Keep me tuned in.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
ALB3 said:
Keith,

You are going to host another NoVA DR1 event? Great! I'll have to start my search for Presidentes now. I don't have to worry about another "summer vacation" to the sandbox so I'll be looking forward to attending.
I heard that you can find Presidentes in some Safeways, Giants and Shoppers Food Warehouses In NoVa.

Shelby Stokes

Oct 13, 2004
I relate

mizzmaddy said:

;)

Not in the VA area, I live in CA, but had to note that here in Little Mexico (Los Angeles) i run into the same actions. My Spanish is not good but good enough that when spoken the Mexicans look like, "You are not Latin, Black Boy! How dare you know our language."

Just wanted to drop that.

Shelby

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Keith R said:
No, Oni forgot to tell me. :ermm: ?Felicidades! I'm very happy for you guys. How's the principe taking the idea of having a baby brother/sister?

I would love to have you guys attend, and as you, Bob and Don Juan know from last year, in Dominican fashion our parties are open to bringing the family, so it's not required to get a babysitter (except for maybe if you need a night out for your own sanity! :cheeky: been there! done that! LOL) You know if you bring a new babe to the party everybody will be fawning over him/her, especially if he/she is as cute as Alexander. ;)

Un abrazo fuerte,
Keith

Thanks Keith! Well, I think Alexander knows something is going on. He touches my belly and says "bebe" a lot. I do hope this baby (it's another boy) stays put until my parents arrive, but I tend to have fast deliveries and Alexander arrived at 39 weeks, so who knows. AND my labor and delivery with him lasted 6 1/2 hours. My obstetrician was pretty amazed, especially for a "primeriza" (first time mother). So, I am trying NOT to think of say...delivering on Chain Bridge Rd. on our way to Sibley :nervous:

Abrazos!

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
deelt said:
Congrats Natasha!!! And here I am thinking that I was going to ask you for a favor. A friend from church is doing a project in Liberia and needs some help preparing the school curriculum (post-civil was conflict, etc.). He is mostly self-funding, working 16-hr days to make it happen, the building of a school (and road) in a village (truly an awesome post-conflict story). Please PM me if you know of anyone that can help him out that would be great. Pro-bono, of course.

With regards to the DR1-DC gathering my proposal is to do it at Rock Creek Park, Picnic Lot #6. Plenty of parking and we can do what we want.

The benefits:
1. Unbiased to the extreme drivers
2. Plenty of parking
3. Simple: we go do our thing and nobody gets hurt with clean-up
4. Open area for the kids to play
5. Has a covered area in case of rain

If I can have the house to myself during the summer (I'll let you know) I can volunteer my place, but I don't want to commit right now since my work schedule can be a bit crazy. Until then I think Rock Creek Park is the better, more central option. If every one chips a $10 in we can just get stuff done from Carolina's (a local Dominican Restaurant, not too far away from the park) so no need to cook. But the fellas can bring the drinks.

Lata'
D
Thanks Deni! Rock Creek sounds like a good idea. Please E-mail me with more info. regarding your friend's project.

Cheers

Last edited:

mizzmaddy

May 9, 2005
Actually Shelby I think its hilarious to see the reaction. For the most part I stay quiet to hear what people have to say. Then when I finally speak Spanish I love to see the eyes open wide and the jaws drop and the tripple takes. I feel like I'm on top of the world!!!! Well not really...but I guess I just enjoy that reaction. :nervous:

Shelby Stokes said:
Not in the VA area, I live in CA, but had to note that here in Little Mexico (Los Angeles) i run into the same actions. My Spanish is not good but good enough that when spoken the Mexicans look like, "You are not Latin, Black Boy! How dare you know our language."

Just wanted to drop that.

Shelby

aleco

Apr 28, 2005
stafford

Keith R said:

Hey Keith... Just came back from the DR (Boca Chica) 2 weeks ago---my first trip there-- and love it! I also live in the Stafford (Northern VA) area... Would love to come and meet some fellow DR1s...