I dont have any ID but I am a US Citizen.. HELP PLEASE

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Why not see a US Immigration lawyer? These guys know more than anyone on this forum.

A US Immigration lawyer for what? She already has a US passport and a Certificate of Citizenship. Her mother doesn't want to give it to her. What she needs to do is to file a police report to force her mother to give her her documents back.

What would a Gringo do? File a police report. She doesn't have to deal with immigration lawyer because she doesn't have immigration issues.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I have a passport (I've used it to go to the DR when I lived with her) and a certificate of naturalization (I signed it) but she has them not me.
File a police report for the record simply stating that your mother has taken your passport and refuses to return it. Then file for a lost or stolen passport with the Dept. State. They will void the old passport and issue you a valid one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was going to suggest Family Court...but I think the advice you have received is quite accurate and well documented.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A US Immigration lawyer for what? She already has a US passport and a Certificate of Citizenship. Her mother doesn't want to give it to her. What she needs to do is to file a police report to force her mother to give her her documents back.

What would a Gringo do? File a police report. She doesn't have to deal with immigration lawyer because she doesn't have immigration issues.

No Immigration issues? What do you call her problem? If the mother does not give her what she needs a lawyer could help her get another passport.

Also, we are only hearing one side of this. Could be other issues here.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
No Immigration issues? What do you call her problem? If the mother does not give her what she needs a lawyer could help her get another passport.

She needs to do the same thing that any normal person would do if their lost their personal documents, which is to apply for new documents. She doesn't have an immigration issue, she is already an US citizen she just need to apply for prove of her citizenship. She clearly stated that she has an US passport and a Certificate of citizenship.

So you mean that every time an American Citizen lose its passport and birth certificate they need to hire a immigration lawyer? What about if she would it had lost her passport and citizenship papers when she was on vacation in Cancun, would she has to hire an immigration lawyer to get a passport to get out of Mexico????

She needs to file a N-565, "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document". Here is the official USCIS website with the information. (She can only file an N-565 if she had has a Citizenship Certificate before.)

USCIS - N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
I was researching and the only way out of this is a expensive one. You will need to fill out the N-600 form at USCIS which costs a whooping $600.00 to file that form. You will need the DR's birth certificate as well. This is a tough one but it can be done...

USCIS - N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship

I thought that I had to fill out the N-565 which is an application for a replacement because my mother already applied for one??

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
Your A number should be on your permanent resident card.

Don't worry. When you get to the USCIS office, they will be able to take your information and find your A number in the computer. They will ask lots of detailed information, including lots of information about your mother. Even if your mother is not willing to give you any documents, would she be willing to give you the A-number? It will make your time at the USCIS office much better spent.

Your biggest issue is going to be proving your identity. Do you have any government-issued picture identification? A DR passport? A driver's license? Anything issued by a government agency with a picture, your name, and preferably your date of birth.

You're fortunate that your mother filed for your own naturalization certificate 4 years ago. When you tell her that you will be receiving your US passport, be sure to thank her for filing for that on your behalf.

I dont speak to her... I've tried asking for my documents even a few months ago but she still says no so I am done trying to get anything from her..& no she wont give me my A number.. I dont have any government issued ID..not even a school ID but I have all of my school records and my DR birth certificate (the original one)..I dont have anything else though...

Well if USCIS ask me about my mother all I know is her date of birth, name and 3 of her previous addresses..I might even have her DR cedula number.. would that be enough?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What a world of wasted words...

To begin with you don't need to take so many steps to do any of that! Suffices with a visit to your local congressman rep in your part of town to have them assist you in getting all you need! They offer their support to people in conditions like yours at their offices!

There's a ton of people that are left "undocumented" due to their homes burning down, homelessness, incarceration, etc...

Your case is not something "out there" from this perspective as well, since many parents from third world countries somehow believe that they "own" their children even at adulthood (of age to fend for themselves under the local laws).

Contact your local congressman office and have them assist you with this! Also the US Red Cross assists people with documentation problems like yours!

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
Try to reason with your Mom about getting your documents back and stress the importance of doing so, she's probably afraid of losing you, mothers tend to think that way sometimes! If that doesn't work, try bluffing her, and tell her in a nice way that she is not giving you any other choice but to go to Civil Court so she could explain her reason for not giving you your documents in front of a Civil Judge and let the Judge decide what's what!

I have tried EVERYTHING..yess even that, I told her I would take her to court years ago..she didnt care.. there is no reasoning with her.. & I have honestly done nothing to her..

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
The State Department can check your passport record and issue you a new passport for a fee of $150.00 if you can't provide proof of US citizenship. Please read this link and scroll down to "Optional Services" and then read "[/b]File Search".

Passport Fees

Or you can file and police report to force your mother to give you your documents back (Cheaper way to get your documents). You are an adult and those documents does not belong to her.

I'll do that after I go to USCIS. THanks

I missed that info about the passport. Good catch, Ezequiel.

Forget the USCIS, unless you want to spend the money. Instead, go to the passport office.

I think I need proof of citizenship

It's always recommended to have concrete proof of U.S. citizenship, which mean that she needs to get her certificate of citizenship once she gets her passport. The last and final authority on U.S. citizeship for Naturalized citizen is the USCIS, so it is imperative that she gets proof of citizeship from them too, in the form of her Certificate of Citizenship. I know it cost money, but it is very important to have, especially in this anti-immigrant environment that we are living in right now.

I don't know what time of relationship she has with her mother, but her mother has to understand that she needs proof of citizenship if she wants to enroll in school or to work. She can even get deported (extreme case) but it is possible.

Yes that is what I said above that I need proof of citizenship..my mother does not understand anything..

Your asking the WRONG question..... are you a delinquent? wanted by the police in the states, are a problem to your family [drugs, thief...]
This could be the reason why your mother doesn't want you in the states, thinking your better off here than in the US

lol I can assure you that I am not a delinquent wanted by anybody.. I was an honor student if that even matters lol... the issues with my mother are something else and I assure you that I never did a thing to her..but she has done a lot of harm to me both physically and mentally as well as my stepfather..

That is not germane to what we are discussing here. She is an adult, she doesn't live with her mother and as an adult those documents belongs to her. It doesn't matter if she is deliquent or if she is wanted by the FBI, as an adult her mother needs to give her her documents back to her.

If she files a police report, the police will force her mother to give her her documents.

I am definitely not wanted by the FBI not even by the local police..I have never even returned a late library book.. honestly I just want my documents so that I can go to college. If USCIS cant help me than I will go to the police and honestly at this point I will be happy to see her in court..

Why not see a US Immigration lawyer? These guys know more than anyone on this forum.

I dont have immigration issues.. I am a US citizen...Immigration is when you are immigrating into a country and the whole process of becoming a established and permanent resident..

File a police report for the record simply stating that your mother has taken your passport and refuses to return it. Then file for a lost or stolen passport with the Dept. State. They will void the old passport and issue you a valid one.

This is what I am going to do after I go to USCIS (if they cant help me)

I was going to suggest Family Court...but I think the advice you have received is quite accurate and well documented.

HB

I went to my local family court..and I waited there 3 hours to talk to a lawyer...I was a minor at the time so they said that they couldn't do anything for me and they sent me to some program that offer kids immigration lawyers and such....I saw one of the lawyers and honestly when I told her my situation..her face went blank..she had no idea what to do..maybe I should of seen a more experience lawyer but I don't know that was years ago..

lol the side that she gives is that I left home because I wanted freedom... & YES I WANTED FREEDOM FROM HER ABUSE!

She needs to do the same thing that any normal person would do if their lost their personal documents, which is to apply for new documents. She doesn't have an immigration issue, she is already an US citizen she just need to apply for prove of her citizenship. She clearly stated that she has an US passport and a Certificate of citizenship.

So you mean that every time an American Citizen lose its passport and birth certificate they need to hire a immigration lawyer? What about if she would it had lost her passport and citizenship papers when she was on vacation in Cancun, would she has to hire an immigration lawyer to get a passport to get out of Mexico????

She needs to file a N-565, "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document". Here is the official USCIS website with the information. (She can only file an N-565 if she had has a Citizenship Certificate before.)

USCIS - N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

this is what I said above..thanks everyone so much this really helps.

Also another thing, I think that she was just keeping my documents so that she could claim me on her tax return... and I just turned 19 so I am assuming that she even claimed me this year... she is a very hard working woman (it is the only positive thing I ever say about her) I cant say that she is a lazy ass that sits on the couch all day and collects welfare because she does not..but I know that she has been claiming me.. she even told one of her family members that she was claiming me. I do plan on calling the IRS once I get my documents to let them know that I was not living with her and that she was wrongfully claiming me.. I know that she cant claim me anymore because of my age or that she if she claims me she wont get much out of it anyway so I have no idea why she is still keeping everything..

The only thing that I can think of is the fact that I have not let the fact that she has my documents stop my life... as soon as I left home I got an under the table job working at a restaurant in Manhattan and now that I am 19 I am a really successful web designer and I am pretty sure that my family members have told her how well I am doing and that just gets to her..Honestly you guys may think that it is impossible for a mother not to love their child even a little but I assure you that it is possible because I have lived it.

& I have been working so hard during the last 5 years that the first thing I plan on doing once I get my documents is building me a house in the DR (already have the money for it) and staying there for a few months than coming back here and going to college.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know much about US matters but if you are registered as a US Citizen isn't that easy enough to find out?

Only speaking as a naturalized Canadian ( when my parents became citizens we got ours automatically) I have lost my piece of paper a couple of times so I wrote to the people that gave me that piece of paper and three months later I got another one without giving anything but my name. It's there, it's registered, no one can take it away. The registration number is always the same. But like I said that's here and you're there. :)

gilligan

Jun 27, 2011
Your A number is your Alien Registration Number and the first number you got when you first applied for residency in the US. You also got a laminated card with your picture and this number on it and that was necessary for you to be able to apply for a SS number. Your A number is listed on your Permanent Resident card as well. Good luck.