I have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I have lived in the Dominican Republic for 18 years and I am bedridden. I don't know people here other than those that work for me. The person who worked for me walked off yesterday and I'm left here in my apartment without any help. I cannot walk to open the door to let anyone in. What do I do?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’m sorry things haven’t improved since you last posted. Several people tried to help you, visited you, gave you money, even to get you relocated. What happened with assisted living?

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

white light

Sep 25, 2006
Assisted living was filled. If you feel you cannot help me it's OK all I can do is reach out because this is an emergency.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I can only think of ideas that are from first world countries and maybe N/A here in the DR:
1. A charitable organization (similar to Catholic Charities in the USA. ) This is my best shot, sorry.
2. Pension benefits from your former country.
3. A go fund me undertaking.
4. Haitian eldercare help.Not very expensive.
5. Share your space in lieu of weekly wage

Those are probably weak ideas, sorry, best of luck.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I can only think of ideas that are from first world countries and maybe N/A here in the DR:
1. A charitable organization (similar to Catholic Charities in the USA. ) This is my best shot, sorry.
2. Pension benefits from your former country.
3. A go fund me undertaking.
4. Haitian eldercare help.Not very expensive.
5. Share your space in lieu of weekly wage

Those are probably weak ideas, sorry, best of luck.
I need immediate help and the suggestions you gave take time. Thank you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It seems pretty clear that your health concerns are such that you are completely dependent on the help of others to get through each and every day. If money was not an issue, you could hire your way out of difficulty until the money runs out. But it appears that money may be an issue so you should probably focus on a more practical longer term solution as the DR is not the most socially supportive country especially for noncitizens. Is there someone or an agency that can offer you the support you need in USA if you could get there? In the short term you need to hire a new person to replace the one that quit. Do you have residency or is there gong to be a large fine if you need to get on a plane? Valid passport?

I gather you would prefer to remain here in the DR so I assume you have health insurance that meets your needs. Caregivers come and go so it would seem prudent to have a list of someones as backup for when the current helper takes off as they all eventually will.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

white light

Sep 25, 2006
It seems pretty clear that your health concerns are such that you are completely dependent on the help of others to get through each and every day. If money was not an issue, you could hire your way out of difficulty until the money runs out. But it appears that money may be an issue so you should probably focus on a more practical longer term solution as the DR is not the most socially supportive country especially for noncitizens. Is there someone or an agency that can offer you the support you need in USA if you could get there? In the short term you need to hire a new person to replace the one that quit. Do you have residency or is there gong to be a large fine if you need to get on a plane? Valid passport?

I gather you would prefer to remain here in the DR so I assume you have health insurance that meets your needs. Caregivers come and go so it would seem prudent to have a list of someones as backup for when the current helper takes off as they all eventually will.
I appreciate your taking the time to write such a detailed message. I cannot sit on a commercial flight because of my being bedridden. I have contacted the embassy and the state department and the consulate and there is no help they will give me. You can contact them yourself if you don't believe me many people don't. I would rather be in the USA any day. I just don't have any way out. The caregiver that walked off has been with me 17 years. It's impossible replace him because he does so much maintenance and repairs. The apartment I live in is a big problem and it is what keeps me broke. I don't have money to pay for someone to come here to interview let alone higher. I am at the end. That's all I can see.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Your Situation scares the shit out of many people in this forum ! I'm sure that the very same could happen to a lot of us here.
There is no good place to be if you are out of $. The DR is definetely one of the worst ones !!!!!
It's like choosing between skin and Lung cancer ! Choose "Skincancer" and get back to the US !
NOW !!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
White light what exactly are you needing help with? You stated you are unable to fly back to the USA so are you needing help in finding a caretaker?

Reactions: johne

white light

Sep 25, 2006
Your Situation scares the shit out of many people in this forum ! I'm sure that the very same could happen to a lot of us here.
There is no good place to be if you are out of $. The DR is definetely one of the worst ones !!!!!
It's like choosing between skin and Lung cancer ! Choose "Skincancer" and get back to the US !
NOW !!!!!
I understand what you're saying. I can't even get to my front door how am I going to get out of this country. I appreciate your trying

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I certainly do not have the definitive answer. If you can't fly out of here to somewhere with a better support system then it would seem your only alternative is to get out of your apt. and into the home of someone who who has a comfy room to rent and will agree to provide the personal support you require for a monthly fee you can afford. If you can come up with a plan that works for you please let us know how we can help you achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.