I must have really sinned...

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Yep. I was bitten while I was in the Dutch army stationed in the very south/south east of Surinam
Amazon area. There were plenty of poison beasts scrolling around. I was bitten twice. 1e by a tarantula which cost me a lot of swelling and pain and 2e a bunch of “killer ants”. They sent me twice to the hospital in Paramaribo and after 2 days I was having a lot of fun with the local ladies and Black Cat ( local rum ). After that a was looking all the time to get bitten again. Unfortunately without success.

harley, tarantulas are harmless. they look scary, but the aren't going to attack you. what you need to worry about is one of those centipedes eating your hair while you are sleeping, and your body moves. not good.

I am not scared that they will hurt me, I just don't like spiders at all. I don't kill spiders here bc they eat lots of bugs, so I have more of a respect for them but if that thing was in my house I am not sure I would come back!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So I have a fair size conuco (transformed a third of it into a garden, to the horror of the locals......... ), so I am always running across all sorts of weird and wonderful bugs. They all hurrry away to hide when they hear giant insect god-like mamals thundering towards them....... well except ants, who dont flee and even gear into battle mode, form legions and attack........
I have seen the odd cienpies scurry away.

A year or 2 ago, I was dead ill. I need to check older posts for the name ( fievra typhus or something or other....). I have never been that ill and incapacitaded, ever......(well I ve never been really ill for that matter ).
Anyway I am lying in bed feverish and plain delirious. I hear that my wife is back from in laws across the road.
WHAM, BOUM, PAWWW !!!!!!
To ill to ask whats up.......
Next morning I het painfuly out of bed, hobble to the kitchen outside. A bunch of people huddeled around something in the outside kitchen.
A HUGE cienpies, somethimg out of Men In Black !!!!!!! I am not kidding, tchernobyl style mutant cienpies, the kind that gets ure toes curling up just thinking about it......bbbrbrbrr
My wife arrived home just as it was entering my room.
I was told I was lucky to be alive, that they go after the sick and week....... ( which I seriously doubt.....).

May 29, 2006
Spiders are not usually aggressive. Most often when people get bit it's because a spider was hiding in a towel and someone used it after a shower. That's not going to happen with a tarantula, though you might want to check your shoes everyday. Once, when my dad was in the DR some 40 years ago, he found a scorpion hiding in one of his shoes~ now that will spoil your day.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Spiders are not usually aggressive. Most often when people get bit it's because a spider was hiding in a towel and someone used it after a shower. That's not going to happen with a tarantula, though you might want to check your shoes everyday. Once, when my dad was in the DR some 40 years ago, he found a scorpion hiding in one of his shoes~ now that will spoil your day.

funny you should mention scorpions, Peter. in nearly 30 years running around in the DR, i have never seen a scorpion here. i have never met anyone who has seen one, either.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
funny you should mention scorpions, Peter. in nearly 30 years running around in the DR, i have never seen a scorpion here. i have never met anyone who has seen one, either.

I have seen tiny, tiny scorpion-like beast, under cacao trees where there is a carpet of leafs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have seen tiny, tiny scorpion-like beast, under cacao trees where there is a carpet of leafs.

when it is a real scorpion, you will know it. trust me. worst thing about them is that they travel in pairs. kill one, you better find the other before he finds you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ JR....re: centipede bites

Personally, I have not been bitten but I have cared for 2 friends.... bitten

One on the hand... pain and numbness for almost all day

the other at night, in bed , on the neck..... muy peligroso
same thing , pain, numbness but all around the chest and head area

both were in bed asleep (the hman, not the cienpieds)

I ahve had them in my car... they slink everywhere... windshield cowling, center console.... u name it

Pain, fear, numbness, fear.... in that order

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a UV flashlight coming in my container. UV light makes them glow, then they are really easy to see. If they are to be found, they'll be crawling on stone/brick walls, around rock and rubbish piles at night looking for other insects to eat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so one day i see cats chasing something long the walls of the living room. something dark and big. i go to take a closer look and sure enough, it's a cacata. i don't like killing them so i grabbed a bucket, covered the beast and then used newspaper to lift if off the wall. all the time miesposo was assisting me from safe distance as he says cacatas jump. right. i took the bucket to an empty lot outside and gently tapped it to encourage the spider to leave. she gracefully walked out and disappeared in the high grass.

i regularly save small snakes from cats as well. we also get large crabs and those giant toads in the garden. i capture them and take outside so that they do not bother the dogs.