I Need a Recipe

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I love meatloaf, the kind Mom CB makes: firm, tasty, moist, hints of all manner of spices with a crust of cheddar cheese on top. Mom CB is the quintessential Southern cook.

So I call her and ask for her recipe. Except she doesn't really have one. She has some ingredients but has no idea in what proportions except for ther 1lb. of ground beef. She just "does." And seems as though hers sort morphs depending what she has in the cabinet at the time.

So does anyone here have an actual recipe for good meatloaf? I can google some,but I am looking for a tried-and-true recipe from a human, not a website.

What say you?

:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
3/4 lb ground chuck
1/4 lb ground pork
1 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
salt andpepper to taste

Keep those proportions. It works...You might put a hardboiled egg inthe middle but my mom never did.

Make garvy and corn bread.

Eat!!

HB

web

Nov 5, 2005
Thats like my Moms stuffing at Thanksgiving. I can never get it right. Whatever you do it will never turn out like dear 'ol Mom's.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That's what I'm cooking tonight! Except I don't have any bread crumbs, guess ill goes ahead and set out a couple of slices of bread, I should be able to make crumbs by dinnertime.
Just checked the pantry...
Gravy - check!
Cornbread - check!

(jar and box respectively) LOL

SHALENA

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
cobraboy, just google meatloaf, and you will see a mountain of great recipes. with all due respect to Hillbilly, meatloaf is a little more than what he provided.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I've found fans of this recipe amongst all my friends... US, Canadian, German, Dominicans, etc - including those that have never had meat loaf

1 lb ground Sirloin
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs (i often crumble toasted whole wheat or rye bread)
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 med sized red onion chopped
2 plum tomatoes seeded & chopped
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/8 cup worchestershire sauce
1 T tabasco sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

combine all ingred
shape into loaf & place on lightly greased wire rack in baking pan

bake 350 for 45 minutes
bake 425 for 15 minutes more

let meatloaf stand 10 minutes before serving.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I might try that, CFA. Might have to substitute something for the MJ cheese. I have everything else...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I always cheat on my meatloaf by using Lipton Dry onion soup mix... one packet to a pound of meat. I do not use pork since it comes out too fatty for my taste.. so my loaf is basically

one lb ground beef
three slices dry bread
two or three eggs
one packet dried onion soup (yes, available here!)
one TBs salsa for a kick

this is always a hit.. fast .. easy.. freezes beautifully so easy to make two loaves at once and freeze one for unexpected guests

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I always cheat on my meatloaf by using Lipton Dry onion soup mix... one packet to a pound of meat. I do not use pork since it comes out too fatty for my taste.. so my loaf is basically

one lb ground beef
three slices dry bread
two or three eggs
one packet dried onion soup (yes, available here!)
one TBs salsa for a kick

this is always a hit.. fast .. easy.. freezes beautifully so easy to make two loaves at once and freeze one for unexpected guests
A definite Must try! Thanks!

Do you crumble the bread up? Can bread crumbs be substituted?

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
You can also use croutons (crushed)
or Toast a few slices of bread and crumble them. quick fix:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Meatloaf isl Like Making Love!

Everybody does it different.
There is no wrong way to do it.
Everybody likes it.
Nobody does it the same way twice.
Everybody takes different length of time to finish.
AND,Mom always did it best!................Hey,I can't say that!:eek::eek::eek:IN WEST VIRGINIA ONLY!
and Sunday is Mom's day.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I might try that, CFA. Might have to substitute something for the MJ cheese. I have everything else...

One advantage of being in the Sosua/Cabarete area... Kraft cheeses are available, including monterey jack. Even pepper jack at times :)
There are some other brands of MJ in the stores here too, I think... but haven't tried them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cobra and others: I know I forgot the diced onions!!...amd probably some Paprika...

HB

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I cook like your Mother does without using measurements or recipes. Recently I have been cooking with my son to tech him some of his favorite meals that I make. While doing this I have written out recipe cards for him. Here is my recipe for everyday old fashioned meatloaf.
1 1/2 lb. hamburg
i medium onion
2 eggs
1/2 can of tomato soup
about 16 saltine crackers just crushed with hands(box of saltines has 4 seperate packs and I use a little over half of one of those stacks) does that make sense to you?
salt and pepper
mix all ingredients together with hands and put in loaf pan
cook at 350 for 20 minute hour then put the other half can of the tomato soup on top
continue baking for another 20 minutes, baking time may vary with different ovens.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My mom used to make a mean meatloaf and used to top it with a layer of catsup and spices on the top so when it came out it was real tasty. Nonetheless, my Dad would still pour copious amounts of catsup on it.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Meatloaf *is* one of those recipes that everyone's mom (or grandma) makes differently...I grew up on double-sauced...ketchup and/or tomato paste on the top before and again half-way through cooking. I also prefer it with a three meat mix (chuck, pork, veal).

Of the 1000's of recipes that will come from Googling, you may want to try "copycat" recipes of Boston Market's or Cheescake Factory's versions...two of my favorites...

Here's a good base to start with:

Boston Market Meatloaf Recipe Copycat

1 cup tomato sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons Kraft original barbeque sauce

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 lb ground sirloin

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon pepper

dash garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a small pan over medium heat on the stove. Heat until mixture starts to bubble. Stir often. Remover from heat.

Put the ground sirloin and all but 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce mixture in a large mixing bowl. Mix together very well with your hands. Add the rest of the ingredients to the meat mixture. Again, mix together very well with your hands.

Put the mixture into a loaf pan. Cover the loaf pan with foil and put in preheated oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take meatloaf out of oven. Remove aluminum foil and drain off the fat and water. Slice the meatloaf while still in the pan. Pour the leftover 2 tablespoons of sauce over the top of the meatloaf slices. Put meatloaf back into oven, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes or until meatloaf is done.

Makes approximately 4-5 servings