i need to renew my cedula-info needed

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I went to renew my cedula at 12:30pm and I was in and out in less than 20 minutes.
here is the scoop: they will try to trick you into paying one year extra. Since my cedula and residencia are not expiring at the same time, they tried to trick me. My cedula is valid till next month but my residency expired last year at the same time. so I got my new residencia card renewed last year for 4 years. Now when i went into renewing my cedula they said both cedula and residencia cards would have to be in-sync and should expire at the same date but here is the trick:
My residency card was renewed last year for 4 years (expiring march 2020) so I have 3 years left on my residency.
Now they wanted to renew my cedula till march 2020 (just 3 years) but wanted to charge me for 4 years (4000 pesos instead of 3000 pesos). I asked why is that? they say I have to be in sync with my residency which expired last march (note: my cedula was valid till this march 2017). so they will take it as if my cedula also expired last march and will cover 4 years in 2020. but no matter how you look at it, I was only getting 3 years on cedula while paying for 4. so i made it clear that my cedula is still valid till next month and both cedula and residency don't have to be in sync. The woman flatly refused and told me to go eat hot air. I insisted upon seeing higher authority. by this time I was upset. then comes a lady who was very polite. So I told her I am not paying for 4 years and get 3 years in exchange. i also told her when poor dominicans come to my office and beg me to treat them for free, I just go ahead and treat them for free but when I come to your office, everyone looks for an opportunity to cheat me. I will not allow that. the lady apologized in sincerity and went ahead and charged me 3 years and gave me cedula which will expire in may 2020 (instead of same date as march 2020 in residency card). so it's confirmed it was a trick on their part to get 1000 pesos extra from me. i was more upset at the tone of the 1st lady who tried to bully me around than to charge me 1000 pesos extra or I take a hike.
so there is hope, when challenged they back off and then the nicer person comes to fix the problem. the same happened to me when I tried to renew my residency card. they tried to trick me into paying 2000 pesos more. I had that problem mitigated as well when I challenged them.
AZB

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Heading into the the clutches of the Hydra tomorrow at oh-dark-twenty. If you don't hear from me by midnight, send reinforcements. I wish there was something else I could do while there but every extra hour I spend in SD is an hour later that it takes to get home again. Hopefully I wont have to leave in the dark and return in the dark like the last trip to proceso hell. 

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
They started linking the dates a couple of years ago - they will also use the date you received your residency card regardless of whether you renew early/late. The cedula now always concurs with your residency date.

The 4000 is the current rate for yours.

No trick - it's all correct. You got a special deal/s.............Q. was it worth the stress :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........My residency card was renewed last year for 4 years (expiring march 2020) so I have 3 years left on my residency.
Now they wanted to renew my cedula till march 2020 (just 3 years) but wanted to charge me for 4 years (4000 pesos instead of 3000 pesos). I asked why is that? they say I have to be in sync with my residency which expired last march.........................
AZB

They started linking the dates a couple of years ago - they will also use the date you received your residency card regardless of whether you renew early/late. The cedula now always concurs with your residency date.

The 4000 is the current rate for yours.

No trick - it's all correct. You got a special deal/s.............Q. was it worth the stress :)

Thanks Sarah, that is the way I thought it was. Now if AZB renewed for three years his cedula would expire February 2020 while his residence is good till March 2020. So in essence AZB would have to renew for 3 years one month. We know they don't renew for three years one month so AZB would have to take the next step and pay for a four year renewal. Albeit paying for 11 months which he won't need as he will be renewing both in March of 2020.

I agree the person at JCE did AZB a favor probably just to get him to STFU. For those who don't know STFU=Shut the F Up

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We made it back ok. No search party required.

Left Sosua at 05:20, at CT in SD at 10:05. At JCE at 10:30. Busy day today. Out with new cedula approx. 11:30.

Cost $RD 3000.00. Only valid for a year to sync up with my residency card. Next time will be same price or a little more if residency is valid for longer than 2 years.

IMG_20170215_111714.jpg 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......Left Sosua at 05:20, at CT in SD at 10:05. At JCE at 10:30. Busy day today. Out with new cedula approx. 11:30........ 

If someone is willing to try this you can save an hour of your time. I have mentioned it before. If you only have to go to JCE and are using Caribe Tours coming from the north get off at avenida luperon at JFK. Take a taxi down to avenida luperon and 27 de febrero where JCE is located. If you stay on the bus at luperon you are only going into the city to return to where you already came from.

Going back north I have no tricks so you will have to go back to SD Centro to take Caribe or Metro.

BTW Metro does not stop at avenida luperon, only the assigned stops on their route.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Sarah, that is the way I thought it was. Now if AZB renewed for three years his cedula would expire February 2020 while his residence is good till March 2020. So in essence AZB would have to renew for 3 years one month. We know they don't renew for three years one month so AZB would have to take the next step and pay for a four year renewal. Albeit paying for 11 months which he won't need as he will be renewing both in March of 2020.

I agree the person at JCE did AZB a favor probably just to get him to STFU. For those who don't know STFU=Shut the F Up

wrong. my cedula expires may 2020 and residency march 2020. so i am ok. You guys are falling for the trick and this is why they are charging more. I live in SD and JCE office is 15 minutes away from me. I will be renewing both my cedula and residency on march 2020. They did me no favors, I just enforced what was the law. I did it for principle. you guys go ahead and pay more, I will stick to my rules.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
wrong. my cedula expires may 2020 and residency march 2020. so i am ok. You guys are falling for the trick and this is why they are charging more. I live in SD and JCE office is 15 minutes away from me. I will be renewing both my cedula and residency on march 2020. They did me no favors, I just enforced what was the law. I did it for principle. you guys go ahead and pay more, I will stick to my rules.
AZB

WRONG, the day you renew your cedula is date used for expiration. Renew in February expire in February................ Renew in February for three years, expires in February for three years.............