If you had 100.000 US$, how would you invest them in DR ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well dv8, I recommended car wash because its OE are so cheap, what do you need? A hose, soap and a teenager.

hmm, dominican car wash is not the same as american one, it seems. in here it's less about hose, soap and teens and more about music, beer and big butts :)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
hmm, dominican car wash is not the same as american one, it seems. in here it's less about hose, soap and teens and more about music, beer and big butts :)

And you re saying a guy couldnt make a buck and have a good time doing this?

Except for the beer its the same, you re telling me you wouldnt watch some 19 yo babe with said big butt wash your Toyota FJ? I mean, I suppose there are more 49 yo women with said big butts but I dont know the appeal in that?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
And you re saying a guy couldnt make a buck and have a good time doing this?

Except for the beer its the same, you re telling me you wouldnt watch some 19 yo babe with said big butt wash your Toyota FJ? I mean, I suppose there are more 49 yo women with said big butts but I dont know the appeal in that?

Really, how long have you been living in the DR, or have you been in the DR at all??

El pana no sabe en que se convierte un car wash despues de las 7 de la noche.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
OP -

An example of a couple of businesses might be to buy electronics by the container and ship here. I know of people that do this and have become quite wealthy.

Tiene que estar enllabao with some politians guy in the government to do this, if no he will have to pay a lot of money in Aduanas para liquidar la mercancia.

I'm learning from Portoriquians and Dominicans york to talk in spanglish.

JJ

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Tour Guide - Santo Domingo

I met a guy last Summer who rented a car and paid a local guy to drive him around, show him the sights, "watch his back" basically and make sure that he went to all the right places and none of the wrong ones. Once the local guy dropped him off for the evening, he took the car and came back to meet the guy at breakfast. If the guy wanted to go to Boca Chica, he was driven there, told the local when to pick him up and Mr. local was off to do his own thing for half a day.

The local was paid $200US for the week and the guy who used his services couldn't have been happier.

There are many, many tourists who are not self sufficient and would be willing to pay this kind of money, even more if the guide provided a late model vehicle and cut the tourists costs even further. If you're going to spend a couple Grand on a vacation in a dangerous but fun place by yourself it would make sense to many to spend 15% - 20% of it on this level of convenience. A guy with a decent auto, a legal firearm and a good grasp of the language, customs and lay of the land could turn a third of what the OP is talking about investing into a profitable entrepreneurial endeavor.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Really, how long have you been living in the DR, or have you been in the DR at all??

Un carwash es un carwash no importa la hora. Claro hay horas m?s calientes

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Un carwash es un carwash no importa la hora. Claro hay horas m?s calientes

I know, but the poster I quoted thinks that the booty reference dv8 made was about girls in bikinis washing the car. That's not the case anywhere in the DR.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I know, but the poster I quoted thinks that the booty reference dv8 made was about girls in bikinis washing the car. That's not the case anywhere in the DR.

I have actually heard that this does go on, as well as, prostitution in car washes.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

So they dont have the Toyota FJ in DR? Just Fortuners and diesel Prados? Hmm, I seen them and about every other oddball American steel in car wraught with compacts and subcompacts. I have seen Denalis, Yukons, Suburbans(all new model years). Seen Mustangs, Ram Quad pickups, F-150s Chargers, a 66 Impala convertible, Cadillac Fleetwoods and an odd 1979 Buick Regal. Bro, not everyone drives a 1975 Diahatsu Charade. But what impressed me most where those little Skoda cars, like a Buick built onto a VW.

And to boot, there is a car wash on the corner of 16 de Agosto y Calle Santome en Santiago that is open until at least 9pm. I seen them on my frequent trips to the heladeria.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have actually heard that this does go on, as well as, prostitution in car washes.

You heard, I lived there until 4 months ago. From 7AM to 6PM car washes in the DR are just that, car washes, no girls washing the cars, I'll bet $100 with anyone who can show me a picture of some girl washing cars in bikinis in the DR.

Now what's really happening from 6-7PM forward is that the car wash lot converts into a dancing hall, where some low level bachatero or merengueros play there until 2-3 in the morning. There's also car wash where next to it they have an air conditioned blasted and windows tinted location and IN THERE yes, there could be girls working the oldest profession known to men.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You heard, I lived there until 4 months ago. From 7AM to 6PM car washes in the DR are just that, car washes, no girls washing the cars, I'll bet $100 with anyone who can show me a picture of some girl washing cars in bikinis in the DR.

Now what's really happening from 6-7PM forward is that the car wash lot converts into a dancing hall, where some low level bachatero or merengueros play there until 2-3 in the morning. There's also car wash where next to it they have an air conditioned blasted and windows tinted location and IN THERE yes, there could be girls working the oldest profession known to men.

You know better than I do. Thanks for the info.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
car wash is a car wash only by day. at night it turns into a bar full of chopos and working girls. still - a place of decent size and in good location would run far above 100k dollars, no matter how you look at it.
ps being a woman does mean i'd rather look at old and wrinkled booties :) and no, i have never heard of a bikini car wash in DR. normal girls would not do it and working girls earn their living without doing err... ... work... per se. ;)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Oh, sorry. I think the OP is in not only for some booties but for a few big surprises as well.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Unless it is play money you can afford to loose without loosing a smile, or you having extensive insider knowledge of the regional business environment and solid contacts in the upper class business society, I can not recommend "investing" here (investing in the sense that you want to make money and also get your money back eventually).
There are more people in this country specialized to "take off" money from romantic unsuspecting would-be "investors" than people offering real solid money making opportunities. Most everybody is after people from around trying to get into business here... with money.

I think there are safer and more productive opportunities in your home country or vicinity than the basic CD offerings suggested. If you are unable to find them in your environment you would be ill prepared to find them in an "exotic" location like this one.

... J-D.

Lesquireau

Jun 29, 2003
jue-walter.de
Unless it is play money you can afford to loose without loosing a smile, or you having extensive insider knowledge of the regional business environment and solid contacts in the upper class business society, I can not recommend "investing" here (investing in the sense that you want to make money and also get your money back eventually).
There are more people in this country specialized to "take off" money from romantic unsuspecting would-be "investors" than people offering real solid money making opportunities. Most everybody is after people from around trying to get into business here... with money.

I think there are safer and more productive opportunities in your home country or vicinity than the basic CD offerings suggested. If you are unable to find them in your environment you would be ill prepared to find them in an "exotic" location like this one.

... J-D.

This is a very substantiated view which I feel very much inclined to share, J-D. On the other hand I've never heard of anyone losing their CD money on the Banco Central, have you? Of course there's the "lose by inflation" risk. But this you find elsewhere as well. And, since the interest rates are no more than 8% (which is a lot though!) right now, this is not bad a sign for a stable economic status quo, is it? They don't need our money as before in DR, since IWF etc are helping out with huge amounts, I guess. So what? Any warning not to bring to BC as many pesos as possible ?