IHOP gone

"JD" maybe we should do "Breakfast & Cigars" at my house on Sunday mornings?????
American hickory smoked bacon, sausages, pancakes, English muffins,and we MUST come up with a "Chicken Fried steak, with bisquits & Sausage gravy!!!!!
I just had a nice 2 egg cheese omlet, Delish"!
I used "Food Club" brand Monterrey Jack cheese.
Available at "Super National", along with tons of other imported American cheeses.
Unlike Dominican cheese, it actually has flavor, and it "Melts"!!!!!!
Who Knew???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you are a "Velveta" fan, (C mon now, I KNOW you're Out There!!!) they have several varieties

ps, I can get us a discount on "Stints" at CEDIMAT!!!!!.
Or maybe "Blandino's" would be better????
Eliminate the "Middle Men"!!!!!

Do you make the good American breakfast or your wife or maid?!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quite the debate on "where's the beef" from that is used here in franchises. Anyone really know for sure?

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Fuddruckers here is a scam, local beef and ridiculous prices, the only time i tryed i think i paid 15-17$ for a combo. It was ok, but def local beef.

I think all places that charge the 10% fee without giving any service should be avoided.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 6, 2006
There are over 1500 Waffle House restaurants, mostly along highways and interstates. They are based in Georgia, and have pretty good waffles and pancakes, and good prices. What they excel at, in my opinion, is the huge variety of ways they do hash brown potatoes. They also are good at bacon and omelets. It might be nice if they were to have a Waffle House in the DR. But I would imagine that some sort of research would be needed to test market the food. Dominicans are accustomed to different tastes than Americans.

The US for many Dominicans is Nueva Yol, which has good food, but is not quite the type of food one finds in the Waffle House, which is more Southern and more breakfasty. The Waffle House is not the sort of classy American restaurant one takes his girlfriend to in order to impress her.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Tried Outback a couple of times, and well to me the steak was horrible. I had a ribeye and it was all gristle. The next time I tried the prim rib, it was like shoe leather. Did the Burger King a couple times and lived to regret it. Friday's was probably one of the worst meals plus I just couldn't get a feel for the place. I am just not a huge fan of the American franchises here, and really do not frequent them in the US either. I think when they first open it is a novelty, everyone wants to try them. Then people start to realize the food is not that great and it is expensive. There are so many other good places to eat. Plus sometimes just cooking a steak, pancakes or whatever at home tastes 100 times better.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Tried Outback a couple of times, and well to me the steak was horrible. I had a ribeye and it was all gristle. The next time I tried the prim rib, it was like shoe leather. Did the Burger King a couple times and lived to regret it. Friday's was probably one of the worst meals plus I just couldn't get a feel for the place. I am just not a huge fan of the American franchises here, and really do not frequent them in the US either. I think when they first open it is a novelty, everyone wants to try them. Then people start to realize the food is not that great and it is expensive. There are so many other good places to eat. Plus sometimes just cooking a steak, pancakes or whatever at home tastes 100 times better.

I agree 100%. You go to any of the places like Tony Romas, Outback, Chili's, Applebee's etc. and you end up paying not even that much less than when you go to la Dolcerie, Gastropolis (can recommend this place!), even Pat'e Palo or Sof?a's. Where the food is real and the quality consistent.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"HR" you have obviously NEVER had an egg fried by a Dominican!!!!!!!
If you want to cook a fried egg "Domincan Style", put a lot of oil in a pan, put the heat on HIGH, have a beer, then drop in the egg, then have 3 or 4 beers, then "ENJOY" the egg!
Same way they cook EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you want to cook a fried egg "Domincan Style", put a lot of oil in a pan, put the heat on HIGH, have a beer, then drop in the egg, then have 3 or 4 beers, then "ENJOY" the egg!

OMG that is so true, I will NOT eat eggs cooked by Dominicans. In DR I make breakfast if we're having eggs....but I don't make them for the maid or the Haitian caretaker, neither of them will eat a wet yolk. It has to be petrified.

We ate breakfast at a Waffle House for the first time when we visited a cousin near the North Carolina/Georgia border. A LOT of food, we didn't stop for lunch that day. Very southern cooking, yes I had grits too. Not a restaurant I can picture in DR though.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I made a huge pot of "Swedish Meatballs In Gravy" to take to work one day.
The Dominicans were NOT impressed!
One lady came to me in private and said that they were good tasting, but they were not cooked through!
If it ain't a "Golf Ball" it ain't "Cooked Through" here!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCI once dropped one of my "MIL's" "Golf Balls" on the marble floor, it cracked the marble!

Oh I have it was the one and only meal our maid cooked for us! YUCK!!!! Just wondering if you trained them :)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Oh I have it was the one and only meal our maid cooked for us! YUCK!!!! Just wondering if you trained them :)

I taught my wife how to baste eggs. Butter in the pan, drop in two eggs, add a little water put the top on for three minutes and its perfect. Needless to say that she leaves them in until the yolks are hard and the whites like rubber, but she likes them better than in oil. I always ask for scrambled if shes cooking eggs.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Only knew about David Crockett (not Davey? should be Davey Crockett,no?)
============================================
Of course it should be Davy Crockett. But Davy Crockett was a popular Disney TV show years and years ago and the name is surely copyrighted up the wazoo.

Davy Crockett was not famous for cooking and eating cows. He kilt bars. I reckon he et them as well.

The Australian Outback is noted more for sheep stations than cattle ranches.

Trade marks can be dumb, they only need publicity to match up to the expected image. Americans are not all that knowledgeable about Davy Crockett or the Outback, Dominicans probably less so, since these are English language memes.

So far, Argentina and Uruguay have the best steaks I have ever eaten.

Actually the outback is know, world wide, for having the largest cattle stations in the world, although I believe the King Ranch in Texas is he largest. My son worked on one for three months and he said it is without doubt the dirtiest place on earth, but he enjoyed it immensely. Best steaks I've ever eaten were in Idaho and Alberta, but those were not in restaurants. The best restaurant steak I've ever eaten was in the Pepper Tree Restaurant in Colorado Springs. I've never had a good steak in the DR.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Try the tenderloin at pate palo or a ribeye at victoria's

Not the best steak you would eat in your life, but you are not gonna say after that you didnt try a good steak in DR!

Also if you like duck, the best i had here was at Le Boheme, really good french restaurant.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
last time i went n.y. almost 2 yrs ago improved menu. bigger portions biger check. two people with coffee over 20$u.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I agree 100%. You go to any of the places like Tony Romas, Outback, Chili's, Applebee's etc. and you end up paying not even that much less than when you go to la Dolcerie, Gastropolis (can recommend this place!), even Pat'e Palo or Sof?a's. Where the food is real and the quality consistent.

Have to agree with this 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
of course the wiatresses are all spanish ladies.dress nice know how to be friendly stop a minute etc and my spanish friend overtipped...5$tip... good thing i wasnt paying or tipping....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OMG that is so true, I will NOT eat eggs cooked by Dominicans. In DR I make breakfast if we're having eggs....but I don't make them for the maid or the Haitian caretaker, neither of them will eat a wet yolk. It has to be petrified.

miesposo does pretty awesome cooking but i keep our maids away from the stove. tragic does not even begin to describe their lack of skill. this is a reason why everyone in DR eats the same stuff, day in, day out. poor have themselves to cook. rich have the poor to cook for them.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
MA,

Years ago I had a very decent meal at a little place on the Malecon, a few blocks down from La Jaragua towards the centre. It had a Belgium chef.

My friend and I ate the Chateau Briand. The beef was good, the sauce was heavenly (the chef had added some Pastis to it) and of course the fries were Belgium :).

I can't remember the name but it was a wooden octagonal construction right on the Malecon (city side).

The Cave restaurant also was nice when I ate there with CB.

The Belgian restaurant on the Malecon is "L'Osteria de Charly & Christian" which is in a little yellow painted shack on the left going towards the port after the obelisk, a couple of blocks up from Parque Hostos and Plaza Juan Baron and just past the Hotel Napolitano. Good food, good service and occasional live music