ILIGITIMATE CHILDREN?

A

Anne-Marie

Everytime I come to the DR I work as a volunteer in an orphanage. The children who are there probably come from situations like in Gio's post. Mothers who can't care anymore or simply die and leave the children behind, with relatives who can't afford to support them. Want to make a difference? Look at the website of Oportunidades para Ni?os (non-profit organization based in The Netherlands).

P

Phyllis

This is a shame, I feel so bad for all these innocent children! Why don't the Dominican woman take the birth control pill?? Wouldn't this help with the lack of funds/proper care needed for all these unwanted births? Especially the cases where children are having children!

T

Tom

>>>Wouldn't this help with the lack of funds/proper care needed for all these unwanted births? Especially the cases where children are having children!

Lack of education

P

Phyllis

Too Many Children!

You are right Tom, "Lack of education"... but wouldn't it be cheaper and more beneficial for the Dominican government and other sponsors to put money towards sex education and free birth control pills, rather than orphanages and ways to help feed and care for all these children. I wish I could do more!

T

Tom

Re: Too Many Children!

Phyllis, thats what is called eduactaion! I wholeheaartedly concur with your statement

But lest we forget, you are dealing with a predominantly Catholic country

Tom

G

GabyCruz

I really get irritated when people talk about sex education. SEX EDUCATION" have never improve the situation of illegitimate children in the US or for that matter in any part of the world, because whe Hormones get revolted,and we get the mighty Urge,it becomes like a raging bull that no one can stop, and there is not sexual education that is going to tell a teenager in lost that he or she should not do it, beside in underdevelope countries like mine, sometimes sex is the only form of entretainment. and lots of DR women figure the only way of traping a good man is giving them a child. wich normaly dont work but they firmily belive so. Therefore is an ongoing situation that perhaps only prayers and faith can help.

T

Tom

Gaby

Not trying to be rude, but I suggest a good sex education course for you

Tom

P

Phyllis

Don't get me wrong, I agree SEX is great!!! My point is that men & woman should protect themselves with condoms and birth control pills! Don't STOP having SEX, it's a wonderful thing! STOP having unwanted children in a place where they can't be cared for properly!

D

Dee DeMusis

Wow-- what a conversation!!! I worked in the sugar plantations with visiting medical teams as registrar...when asked why they wanted to see the doctor, a HIGH percentage of the women told me PLANIFICACION. As far as education goes, people ARE OPEN to it. Before anybody blasts me...this is only one area of the country [La Romana, El Seibo, Altagracia, and San Pedro de Macoris and some smaller plantations near the Capital]. I recently heard that the funds were cut to our health program ...priorities are where the action is...but no one organization or group can do it all. Maybe if we pitched in from the mainland and in trhe DR a combined effort would be a step in the right direction.

Gaby, I have see nthe situation you mention: getting a guy to get you pregnant to hold him... but also to keep a roof over herr head and food in her belly. This is survival and many still have to live this way... FAITH AND PRAYER WILL HELP... but maybe the prayers should be for more responsible actions on the part of the government and the citizenry...

Dee

A

arcoiris

Re: Too Many Children! other board

this conversation has reached a point where itis more appropriate on the other board. will someone transfer it, please?

P

Public Defender

Re: Too Many Children! other board

Simply copy it to the other board like anyone else has to do, then put a post where to find it.

Everyone whines about posts, but when it comes to "I want", wow

T

Tom

Too Many Children! other board/click to continue

Click on this hyperlink to continue this discussion on Bravenet

Tom