Illegal Immigration Question

Sep 19, 2005
can i just get the cliff notes, really i'll take your word for it.

cliff might say something like this:

there are less than 9 million dominicans living IN THE DR!!

Our preliminary estimates for the March 2005 CPS indicate that there were between 9.6 and 9.8 million illegal aliens(in the USA) in the survey. It must be remembered that this estimate only includes illegal aliens captured by the March CPS, not those missed by the survey

It is likely that of the 7.9 million foreign-born persons from Mexico in the March 2000 CPS, between 2.5 million and 3.5 million are in the country illegally.

there are more illegals in america than there are dominicans in all of the DR.....and about 1/3 are mexican!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
i didn't say dominican immigration does not exist, i said i NEVER HEAR about it. it's never in the news, never in the paper, no one goes around calling dominicans illegals and i don't know any dominicans that are here illegaly (yes i have a lot of dominican friends here in miami).
Who do you think is making up the 100-200 deportees being returned on each flight of ConAir every week?

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Who do you think is making up the 100-200 deportees being returned on each flight of ConAir every week?

1. those 100-200 are not immigrants living abroad as they are being returned

2. they don't make the news here - sorry

May 31, 2005
I am not going to disagree with you Howmar on that because it is true that many deportees were in the US illegally. However, there are also many permanent residents that get sent to jail for doing bad things and therefore are deported.

When I typed that most Dominicans do as much as they can to get their papers I also meant other ways other than doing it from the DR by marrying their foreigner boyfriend or girlfriend.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
1. those 100-200 are not immigrants living abroad as they are being returned

They certainly are illegal immigrants living abroad (in the US). They are being returned because they were caught ommitting crime in the US, served their time and subsequently deported. Many have lived in the US illegally for many years. Also true, some were deported after losing residency status.

Fuel

Jun 29, 2006
They certainly are illegal immigrants living abroad (in the US). They are being returned because they were caught ommitting crime in the US, served their time and subsequently deported. Many have lived in the US illegally for many years. Also true, some were deported after losing residency status.

I agree, but i believe the majority are legal and are deported beacuse of crimes committed. I think the laws say any "green card" holder that serves more than a year + 1 day is automaticly deported (notjust dominicans). Im not 100% sure.

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
New York, LatinGuyNY, if you want to learn about Dominicans. You are more likely to learn what and who Dominicans are if you meet them in the flesh(no pun here)instead of a public forum. I've also heard little about Dominican illegal immigration with the exception of the Mona passage attempts to get to PR.

I think I can get a more information here on this forum, because more Dominicans log in from other parts of the world here. My nicece is married to a Dominican but he was born in NYC, and all he knows is that the DR is a wonderful place, goes there with family once in a while to vacation. There is so much more to learn on a public forum.

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
Just YESTERDAY my girlfriend told me about one of her friends telling her he has paid his way on the next boat to america. His bother went last year and is now in NYC. The guy who "runs" the boat, does 3 or 4 trips a year. he has been doing it for several years the friend says and has never had trouble. My Gf told me, that she told him she was affraid for him because she is affraid of boats in deep water. I told her.. The boat doesnt go to america it goes to Puerto Rico, and it goes through some of the most dangerous water in the carribean. The fee is 50,000 pesos I think. I dont have any idea how they get from PR to the mainland. Who can say they have never heard of illegal dominican immigration? One guy 3 or 4 trips a year..might make it more common than some think.

not taking sides either way, just offering some info that didnt seem to have been offered, that I had.

bob

Also with how security is now a day at airports, that is a good point.

May 31, 2005
I think I can get a more information here on this forum, because more Dominicans log in from other parts of the world here. My nicece is married to a Dominican but he was born in NYC, and all he knows is that the DR is a wonderful place, goes there with family once in a while to vacation. There is so much more to learn on a public forum.

That is all fine and dandy. I am not trying to say that you shouldn't ask around but keep in mind that the answers you are getting are not only from Dominicans. Heck, the majority are not even Dominicans. Dominicans only make up about 5-10 % of the members of this board. Glad to have you as a member!

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
LatinGuy

American Airlines has 4 flights a day out of JFK..Why not just come down and see for yourself..You can do a week for as little as $600.00 including airfair a 2 star hotel and your meals..PM Me and I'll give you all the details...I even have a friend who has a taxi in SD and will cut you a break..You are PR so you will not face a launguage barrier..I can recommend a nice clean little hotel in Gascua..Right in ther heart of SD....I'm sure if you take this little inexpensive trip you will have your answers.................

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Maybe I'm mistaken, but Latin guy's original question was asking how "legal" Dominicans view or think about "illegal" Dominicans in the US. In that case, why bother coming to the DR? Go to Washington Heights, find some "legal" Dominicans, and ask them what they think about it.

100 pesos says they DON'T think about it. A Dominican is a Dominican (to a Dominican). Who the heck cares how another Dominican got wherever they are now?

My experience is that Americans / US residents are quick to want to apply labels to other people. It's their nature. Black or white, Dominican, puerto rican, European, Chinese, whatever. And now, "Dominican Americans"?????

I don't hear anyone calling Puerto Ricans in New York "Puerto Rican Americans", but then again, outside of New York, no one would say "American" about a Puerto Rican OR a "Dominican American". They would say either "Puerto Rican" or "Dominican" no matter WHOSE country they had citizenship OR a passport from.....

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Illegal Dominicans don't stand at the local 7-11 waiting for someone to give them day jobs, like the Mexicans and Central Americans do. When a Dominican decides stay here illegally is because "ya esta hablado', meaning someone will set them up here. I could careless if someone is illegal, as long as they are not down on people's throat. I know of an entire family 4 kids and both parents, who overstayed their visa about 5 years ago. But before they did this, they had everything set. They knew where they were going to live and how they were going to become legal. All of them are now legal except for the mother. The plan for the mother is that one of the son will petition for her when he becomes a US citizen in a couple of years.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I dont have any idea how they get from PR to the mainland.

bob

I know several Dominicans who have made their way to the US from PR after getting there by yola. There is a cottage industry in PR selling counterfit Puerto Rican driver's licenses. That and a plane ticket is all you need to get to the "land of opportunity". Having seen one of the fake IDs and knowing it passed at immigrations, I fear for our national security. Of course, I've never seen a REAL Puerto Rican driver's license. Maybe they all look fake.;)

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
That is all fine and dandy. I am not trying to say that you shouldn't ask around but keep in mind that the answers you are getting are not only from Dominicans. Heck, the majority are not even Dominicans. Dominicans only make up about 5-10 % of the members of this board. Glad to have you as a member!

I am curious, how do you know the make-up of who is who here?

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
I know several Dominicans who have made their way to the US from PR after getting there by yola. There is a cottage industry in PR selling counterfit Puerto Rican driver's licenses. That and a plane ticket is all you need to get to the "land of opportunity". Having seen one of the fake IDs and knowing it passed at immigrations, I fear for our national security. Of course, I've never seen a REAL Puerto Rican driver's license. Maybe they all look fake.;)

PR has the same system as that of the NYC Motor Vehicle Dept. Maybe they are very convincing ID's, but I feel that there should be statewide and territory verification systems at all airports. I was stopped once in NYC for a front light that was out, and the police always ask for your driver’s license then they check it on the system right there. I am also very surprised that these fake ID's are working.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Illegal Dominicans don't stand at the local 7-11 waiting for someone to give them day jobs, like the Mexicans and Central Americans do. When a Dominican decides stay here illegally is because "ya esta hablado', meaning someone will set them up here. I could careless if someone is illegal, as long as they are not down on people's throat. I know of an entire family 4 kids and both parents, who overstayed their visa about 5 years ago. But before they did this, they had everything set. They knew where they were going to live and how they were going to become legal. All of them are now legal except for the mother. The plan for the mother is that one of the son will petition for her when he becomes a US citizen in a couple of years.
Sorry but this comment is NOT true at all.

Although MANY Dominicans are too "proud" to do it, I believe 20/20, Primetime or Dateline NBC, had a segment a few years ago about such people and it just happened that in said segment, one or 2 Dominicans were interviwed. Better yet, and if my old memory serves me right, a few of the people interviewed were here legally but could not find a job anywhere.

Btw, this is NOT a "Mexican and Central American" situation.

Go to Brooklyn and drive to Metropolitan Avenue and Lorimer St and tell me if those people you see there are mainly Mexicans and Central Americans. 90% are Polish and Russians.

NOTE:::::: I am not saying that Mexicans and Central Americans do not do it, of course they do, I am just saying that they are NOT the only ones doing it.

You will be surprised of all the races doing such thing.

Nuff said!!.

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
Wouldn't it be mistake for these people to do this, stand at a 7/11 waiting for someone to pick them up to work? Wouldn't you think that La Migra as I heard some call it, would bring a paddy wagon to round them up. But it doesn't happen because there is a law that states that if a person isn't doing anything wrong the police can't simply ask them for papers, even though it does happen especially if you are a person of color.

In my neighborhood I use to see a group of Mexicans and South Americans at the corner, and most of the time they were drinking on the street which is against the law, having a bottle opened and drinking in public. So one day I walk by and they weren't there anymore, I haven't seen them anymore. I would think that if you are in the US illegally, you would try to keep a low profile.

Last edited:

Don Polo.

Brain Donor
May 9, 2006
I think it's foolish.The DR is not in the situation Cuba is or Haiti or even a Jamaica right now(sky-high crime & violence issues).

There is no need to leave illegally.Besides that the status of being an illegal is almost that of a slave in most countries.

In America we have the same legal rights of due process but that doesn't spare illegals from being abused by employers.

I think dominicans should come legally with papers in hand and knowing some english.

I belive most of us here are legal "con papele en mano" & don't really root for illegal immigration but accept it none the less.

Don Polo.

Brain Donor
May 9, 2006

^Pretty much...:tired:

I noticed that many dominicans command the highest pay as well in the traditional "mexican sweat jobs" like construction,home repair,gardening,etc...

And don't let the gringos boss them around and are quick to branch out and start there own lil' business.

I know we defintley aren't as deseperate as the mexicans & more mobile but we are clearly poorer than them(at least that's what stats say).

Don Polo.

Brain Donor
May 9, 2006
i didn't say dominican immigration does not exist, i said i NEVER HEAR about it. it's never in the news, never in the paper, no one goes around calling dominicans illegals and i don't know any dominicans that are here illegaly (yes i have a lot of dominican friends here in miami).

^You've never met a Puerto rican then...That's all they talk about...:tired:

They act like they wouldn't be poor and on welfare if we didn't go there illegally.

I've read than almost half of them are on foodstamps,where do they get this notion that they are better than anybody?Only god knows.

But let me get back on subject,hell yes people talk about dominican illegals,i'd wager we'd be top ten on the list of number of illegals.

Behind only mexicans,salvadorians,Guatemalans and then US probably.

And dominicans don't get mentioned because we look like either morenos or boricuas.

Just like you never hear of people mentioning illegal haitians cuz they can pass for AA's or africans who usually come legally.

:tired: