I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes I did Tom, but I ended up getting involved in other projects and put it on the back burner.

Will it be resurrected in the future? Maybe...

we are aware of your many daily ventures, but i think your thread would offer an invaluable service, insofar as educating the readership about the pros and cons of an alternative. there are several people for whom the shine has gone off the ball, and who would like advice on living in other places. i am aware that life and happiness are what you yourself make them, but that is easier to accomplish if the basics are in place.

then again, maybe you are a spin bowler, who does not care if there is shine on the ball.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So you are currently living in COLOMBIA and not the DR? Was it YOU or was it the place?
Just curious.

Currently I'm offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, but that's another story :)

Yes, I currently reside in Colombia. It was me, not the place.
I had an amazing life in Santo Domingo, but sometimes you need a change and a different challenge.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
costa rica

I'm sorry I just read your whole OP LOL!!!!

I love Costa Rica a lot but I would NEVER live there because too many damn thieves. I was playing basketball once in San Jose and I threw my baseball cap down on the ground and guess??? It grew legs and walked away.

If you are trying to get away from thieves and crooks you are going to the wrong place.
Yes the lie, cheat, steal is a norm across many LA countries but seems like the DR probably is a close leader over all. I lived in Buenos Aries 1.5 yrs. Costa Rica 6mths here for 7 yrs.

I will always remember a time at the beach in CR. I was surfing with one of those waterproof plastic wallets that go around your neck. I had about 100usd in it and it opened up while surfing close to the shore. I could see my bills washing to the shore while the guys who rented me the surf boards collected for me, or so I thought. Within a minute when I thanked them and asked for my money, they said what money, and argued this soaking wet money they made from renting boards that day. Needless to say me and a friend were the only rentals that morning.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just watched this video of your new home https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxxbKAPMsdw. It looks pretty similar to many Dominican villages I've been through...maybe a little scruffier. I'm curious as to way you chose that particular place to call home.

I haven't watched the video as I'm on a really slow internet connection offshore right now.

But...

Yes, it's like many small Dominican villages. The difference is it's pure and people are innocent in many ways. The education level and ability to converse on many topics is at a higher level than I experienced in they DR. Yes, some still have the typical "Ma?ana" mentality, but nothing I'm not used to. Many have never dealt with or used to a "Gringo" in their eyes, which is a plus and a minus :)

Utilities are excellent (24hr Elec/Water/10MB internet) and very cheap as compared to the DR.
Infrastructure is also great, with the roads well maintained and in good condition.
Countryside around here is stunning, some of the best motorcycle touring roads I have experienced on the planet. Of course it has it's drawbacks... you cannot get all the 1st world luxuries in town, imported items are expensive, sometimes you need to travel to get hardware/home items, the normal small town stuff.

Bottom line... People are great, lifestyle is laid back, living costs cheap as compared to the DR and investment opportunities have proved to be excellent. Most "gringos" could not survive here due to lack of communication skills, creature comforts and adapting to the culture etc, maybe that's why I love it.

arboletes_1.jpg

arboletes_2.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I haven't watched the video as I'm on a really slow internet connection offshore right now.

But...

Yes, it's like many small Dominican villages. The difference is it's pure and people are innocent in many ways. The education level and ability to converse on many topics is at a higher level than I experienced in they DR. Yes, some still have the typical "Ma?ana" mentality, but nothing I'm not used to. Many have never dealt with or used to a "Gringo" in their eyes, which is a plus and a minus :)

Utilities are excellent (24hr Elec/Water/10MB internet) and very cheap as compared to the DR.
Infrastructure is also great, with the roads well maintained and in good condition.
Countryside around here is stunning, some of the best motorcycle touring roads I have experienced on the planet. Of course it has it's drawbacks... you cannot get all the 1st world luxuries in town, imported items are expensive, sometimes you need to travel to get hardware/home items, the normal small town stuff.

Bottom line... People are great, lifestyle is laid back, living costs cheap as compared to the DR and investment opportunities have proved to be excellent. Most "gringos" could not survive here due to lack of communication skills, creature comforts and adapting to the culture etc, maybe that's why I love it.

arboletes_1.jpg

arboletes_2.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. My wife, when married the first time, lived in Colombia for two years. She liked the country and the people very much and we want to take an extended visit there to visit relatives and just see something different.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Looks pretty good to me. My wife, when married the first time, lived in Colombia for two years. She liked the country and the people very much and we want to take an extended visit there to visit relatives and just see something different.

WELCOME BACK BOB SAUNDERS!!!! I missed you. ;-)

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have been to Colombia a lot and like it there. I have a friend retired in Medellin and he enjoys it there. There a lot of apartments for sale in Medellin. Been to Bogota, Cartagena, Cali, Medellin, etc.

The Colombian peso is pretty weak right now. Probably a good time to buy if someone is wanting to buy and not rent.

Some friends and I bought a couple of lots in Boquete as investments. Boquete is nice but it is a little slower. Panama has a lot of benefits for retired people. I am not a big fan of Panama City. I enjoy the cities themselves more in Colombia then Panama City. But if you are looking for a slow pace a life the Boquete area is pretty nice. We saw people who built houses in Boquete and imported everything cheap from the US.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I'm sorry I just read your whole OP LOL!!!!

Wait you leaving DR and moving to Panama because someone broke into your home?????

Dude Panamanians LIE, CHEAT and STEAL!!!!! If you think you are moving to a safer place you are mistaken.

You think Panama is the LAND OF MILK AND HONEY LOL!!!!

If you continue to choose Latin American countries you will not escape this type of behavior.

I love Costa Rica a lot but I would NEVER live there because too many damn thieves. I was playing basketball once in San Jose and I threw my baseball cap down on the ground and guess??? It grew legs and walked away.

If you are trying to get away from thieves and crooks you are going to the wrong place.

I think a lot of it depends on what part of the Dominican and what part of Panama. As I mentioned a couple of friends and I bought two lots in Boquete. I have been there a couple of times and know some people that live there. Something can happen anywhere. But I would worry less about a break in there then most of the Dominican.

My worry about Boquete would be that it might be too slow for me and not close enough to cities I would enjoy making trips to visit. But as far as crime I would think it would be a plus for living in that part of Panama. Now Panama City might be completely different.

The people I know living in Boquete do not live in gated communities or have bars on their windows or doors.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have a pretty sound theory that people who move around because they are unsettled in various places, will never be content no matter where they are ..They think they will be happier in Colombia or in Costa Rica or in Panama but they will soon be complaining about those places as well . I am all for the posters here who can get over their aggravations and who appreciate what the DR has to offer . With all the grizzling and groaning that the foreigners carry on with here , nearly all matters are fairly trivial and there can be a solution. I feel very sorry for people who have a good chance of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire by making a big move .
As has been suggested time and time again on this board , the best way to know a place is to rent for three to six months and to see if you like the flavour of the place .

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have said many times..there are good days and bad days. Days when I want to pack up and go. Many that leave either get frustrated with the lifestyle (or lack of ) or have had something happen that makes them want to leave. But will that frustration carry over to your new location, especially if relocating to another LA/Caribbean country? No where is perfect but it is what you make of it. Some come to the DR and choose the wrong location or surround themselves with the wrong people. If leaving is because it is time to "spread your wings" great but for frustration, etc...I would wonder if they won't find or have the same issues. Believe me I ask myself these questions a lot lately and I am only thinking of moving out of Santo Domingo to another part of the country.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
i understand , to a point, why you would leave. i am fully aware of the fact that you are going to experience a lot of similar situations in Colombia as you do in the DR. many things will bug you. sometimes the weather will tick you off. the motorists. the insects. you name it.

my problem with the DR is the backwardness. no, not the infrastructure. the social situations. and, yes, they are like that, to a degree, everywhere. the whole social style in the DR is just too primitive for my tastes. if i was younger, i would have been long gone, myself. i prefer to feel like i am in a 21st century setting. this is not.

This is exactly why the DR is not for me. I had no problem with the heat,the bugs, the ma?ana attitude, the inefficiency, the driving?.
It's the social primitiveness that I couldn't deal with, day in, day out.
I wasn't looking to be Santa Claus or bring down barrels of goodies for people, or anything like that, or buy myself a studly sankie, just looking to live a regular life in a Latin country.
I also enjoy a good city with good fitness facilities, restaurants, parks and an arts and dance scene, and a walkable neighbourhood.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For me the social aspect is about the people you choose to be around. Of course when you first come here you may make a few errors in judgment but you quickly learn and move on. In Santo Domingo culturally and socially it has what most decent cities have, maybe more than some. My issue is the opposite, tired of traffic, hectic city life. Now maybe it is time for a slower pace.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Her excuse was people are poisoning rottweilers. Even though it does happen I'm not buying it. But I' also mad at the neighbors. Granted it was 2am, but how can they not notice someone kicking down a door? Or a strange vehicle parked outside? Calmado is across the street. There is also an engineering business across the street with security cameras. Conveniently the vehicle parked in a blind spot.

And if the neighbors didn't notice anything most likely they were involved. One of my sisters house
was robbed in broad daylight. Her alarm went off and the neighbors claimed they didn't hear it.:tired: Yeah right.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So many others say they moved here because they love the "latin culture". I smile at that.

And so it goes.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just spent the last two days (short vacation) down in Villa Carmen in the capital, INDEED LIFE IS GOOD.
If you are running out of the Dominican Republic with your tail between your legs over a burglary,
I almost feel sorry for you. Learn how to stand your ground. If need be, spread a little money around
the local colmado and moto taxi stands, find out who robbed your house, then man up and deal with it just
like a Dominican would. If not. you'll spend the rest of your life running every time something like this happens.

If you think life is any better in Honduras, Panama or Colombia you are in for a big surprise.
Honduras? You can't be serious.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
We do hear of posters deciding to move on from time to time, and in this case as often is the case, the desire is to relocate to another 'latin' destination.

I often wonder why? We all have our reasons for having chosen a DR lifestyle and perhaps some have come for the wrong or hastily thought through reasons.

It appears many are not totally at ease with a developing world and then 'latin' life style but want to try another such place.

Don't tell me that the rest of the Caribbean basin where English is the language, cannot offer a perhaps better lifestyle at a decent living cost. Jamaica is cheaper believe it or not and is definitely not the ghetto some may think. And elsewhere the EC dollar can go a long way and it can give you the real Caribbean lifestyle.

I am in DR for considered reasons and I buy into living in the place as is, with it's pluses and minuses. If and when my priorities change I would not simply limit myself to another 'latin' destination which would be on the very periphery of the Caribbean and not in it's heart.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Hang in there Smitty, don't despair. If you're renting get a fresh casa particular, if not, dig in, lose the chica and consider a watchy when you're out. I got an older Haitian gentleman with arms like steel cable I use to house sit when I am out cating around. Best of luck

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We do hear of posters deciding to move on from time to time, and in this case as often is the case, the desire is to relocate to another 'latin' destination.

I often wonder why? We all have our reasons for having chosen a DR lifestyle and perhaps some have come for the wrong or hastily thought through reasons.

It appears many are not totally at ease with a developing world and then 'latin' life style but want to try another such place.

Don't tell me that the rest of the Caribbean basin where English is the language, cannot offer a perhaps better lifestyle at a decent living cost. Jamaica is cheaper believe it or not and is definitely not the ghetto some may think. And elsewhere the EC dollar can go a long way and it can give you the real Caribbean lifestyle.

I am in DR for considered reasons and I buy into living in the place as is, with it's pluses and minuses. If and when my priorities change I would not simply limit myself to another 'latin' destination which would be on the very periphery of the Caribbean and not in it's heart.

very interesting commentary, ju10. i have always wondered why it is that so many people from English speaking backgrounds seek to go and live in a country in which they cannot communicate, since so many of them do not speak the language of their host countries.

i think i have figured it out. i think it gives them a certain insulation from the general population, which makes them more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.