Im thinking of buying a condo. Help!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Understood and agree though the BDLG he's in is at one the best locations in Santo Domingo thus the junta likely is as good as the location so are the vecinos.

Do you know the spot where the BLDG is located? If you do then you would relate to my suggestions.

Can you elaborate? What sort of project is it? High rise? Elevators? Amenities? Secured? Garden Style?

May 29, 2006
$100K for a house renting at $1200 would be good, but with a condo, you'll still have monthly fees. You may find your maintenance fees going up with nothing being repaired. Be very careful. You're not just dealing with your landlord. What if the planta burns out? Is there money to pay for repairs or a new one?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Alex, follow your gut feelings. Most of the ones trying to deceive you have never owned anything on their life nevertheless in the DR. They are a bunch of clueless/afraid of making a decision themselves thus their provided thoughts.

The "maintenance" will be exactly as you stated "condo maintenance fees" to cover for the most part what you have already pointed out; gas, water, cleanup, security and cable tv at some places. The amount of these fees would vary depending on the "junta" of neighbors living in the building.

Your/building location tells me that you do live with very successful Dominicans thus your junta should be very strong. You have lived in the DR enough to make a decision, do not allow scary thoughts to steer you away from something you know feels right within you.

I purchase and sold when it was time also in SDQ, not a problem at all with anything, not with maintenance, junta, neighbors, nada, nothing. Again, most of these folks have never outright owned anything and will suggest to stay at a B&B for ever.

Is your decision, I don't sell real estate and do not live at the DR any longer although do travel very often - good luck and stay thirsty my friend!

most who rent, are clueless, afraid , never owned anything???????REALLY.............

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
$100K for a house renting at $1200 would be good, but with a condo, you'll still have monthly fees. You may find your maintenance fees going up with nothing being repaired. Be very careful. You're not just dealing with your landlord. What if the planta burns out? Is there money to pay for repairs or a new one?

The OP is used to that, maintenance etc mudt be around 400$ a month right now...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Alex, follow your gut feelings. Most of the ones trying to deceive you have never owned anything on their life nevertheless in the DR. They are a bunch of clueless/afraid of making a decision themselves thus their provided thoughts.

The "maintenance" will be exactly as you stated "condo maintenance fees" to cover for the most part what you have already pointed out; gas, water, cleanup, security and cable tv at some places. The amount of these fees would vary depending on the "junta" of neighbors living in the building.

Your/building location tells me that you do live with very successful Dominicans thus your junta should be very strong. You have lived in the DR enough to make a decision, do not allow scary thoughts to steer you away from something you know feels right within you.

I purchase and sold when it was time also in SDQ, not a problem at all with anything, not with maintenance, junta, neighbors, nada, nothing. Again, most of these folks have never outright owned anything and will suggest to stay at a B&B for ever.

Is your decision, I don't sell real estate and do not live at the DR any longer although do travel very often - good luck and stay thirsty my friend!
W.Y.W where would you put the person who owns one on the ocean, rents it mostly to tourists, takes the profit he makes , and rents a new house in the mountains??? Stupid , afraid, a B&B guest...........Doc.........

Sep 4, 2012
W.Y.W where would you put the person who owns one on the ocean, rents it mostly to tourists, takes the profit he makes , and rents a new house in the mountains??? Stupid , afraid, a B&B guest...........Doc.........

Different scenario altogether, no comparison.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Quick story. Ive currently been in Santo Domingo since July. I am renting an apartment near the Malecon for about $1200 a month.

LOL and thank you. He wants 100k for it so I guess that would mean no taxes.

As others have pointed out, it sounds like a bit too good of a deal (who in their right mind sells a 12-14% ROI property?), but if everything checks out with the lawyers and you plan to leave there for years anyway, I would definitely go for it. Maybe the owner just needs some cash right now.

Sep 4, 2012
Sep 4, 2012
As others have pointed out, it sounds like a bit too good of a deal (who in their right mind sells a 12-14% ROI property?), but if everything checks out with the lawyers and you plan to leave there for years anyway, I would definitely go for it. Maybe the owner just needs some cash right now.

There are many circumstances, that is life everywhere and opportunities do come up, even in DR LOL.

Sep 4, 2012

That is something for his attorney to look into and can and will be disclosed by the junta. The monies collected for maintenance are maintained at a escrow account at a local bank and statements issued to owners every month.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think a few people already mentioned this, but the most important thing about buying a condo here in DR is the administration and other owners, if the admin is good and owners are good then you have a chance, otherwise you will be screwed properly. Even with all being good now you have no idea what happens 5 or 10 years down the line. This is something that is not easy to check - lawyers do little in this regard, you have to do some investigation yourself.)

A bad admin or a few bad owners can cause big problems, admin could steal or waste money and bad owners can delay/stop paying, then things go downhill really fast and in DR descend/gringo owners are the certain losers.

Though everything has risks, just do some due diligent about the above and go for it, think of it like this, in about 7 years time you would pay $100k in rent if you don't buy it ... ! (amazing rate/value ratio ! - by the way, don't forget to haggle and ask for a discount, it is DR after all...lol).

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Thought I read RD3,800?

Sorry I havent read that but 3800 pesos seems rather low. I don't know if his building has a pool and guard and planta, cleaning and elevator....No way he pays 3800. I am talking about this with lights and gas included.
I am just telling what others pay. I don't pay that much :).. Fixed contract 1100 pesos..the a/c's directly..with permission of course.

Last edited:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Understood and agree though the BDLG he's in is at one the best locations in Santo Domingo thus the junta likely is as good as the location so are the vecinos.

Do you know the spot where the BLDG is located? If you do then you would relate to my suggestions.

Sorry i have lived in SD for 7 years an still trying to understand why that is one of the best areas, and dont know anyone who agrees. I rented there first and everyone said the best areas are (still to this day) is Naco, piantini and their surrounding areas, Bella Vista, Los Cacigascos, then behind those el millon, las prados. Most Dominicans Ive met dont like to live/own on the Malecon. Its noisy, other than hotels its run down, and populated with Pro's. and crime is ever present. And as far as Building quality in the DR its far from quality, done cheap and will have repairs in the short term. These repairs can be costly and rarely covered by maint. fees. They like to repaint every two years because the rain and salt destroys paint and electronics, appliance etc. 3700 maint fees seems cheap for that building so expect increases and possible repair assessments. These new style buildings are not built to last and thats an issue for resale value. If there is a shortage of renters or owners living in, you will see a big decline in the condo fund