i'm thinking to move to the DR from Imperial Beach Ca.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Whatever, it is a full moon on this board this morning.
I think I'll make a pitcher of freshly squeezed OJ and Barcelo Platino with a splash of club soda and some fresh fruit!

Dec 26, 2011
Whatever, it is a full moon on this board this morning.
I think I'll make a pitcher of freshly squeezed OJ and Barcelo Platino with a splash of club soda and some fresh fruit!

Sounds lovely. Wuarhat was replying to the notion that simply because you've gotten away with something for a long time it must be legal.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Hello Folks, first off, thanks for any advice you may offer. I just recently found this forum and already have seen a lot of useful info.

This all started because I am a native here in San Diego and do not surf. Body surfing and boogy boards have been it for me. I found a surf hotel in Cabarete, wrote to them and got water and air temp. today in Imperial beach, 63deg water, 69deg air. yeah, brrr. too cold to go in and, well,,i am so tempted by the water and air temps there.

reading about the area that I will be visiting, being now an empty nester, i'm thinking maybe I'll move there and live out my life riding the waves, eating great local food, getting back into shape, you know. you've been there and done that.

So ?
#1 do I need a lawyer to help with the immigration? i'm reasonably smart and do know how to follow helpful instructions.

Definately get a lawyer. If you papers get messed up, you could be in big doo doo.

-->#2 the clearance from the local cops. I have been arrested and charged 3 times during my 69 years. only 1 conviction, that was for a dui, oct 2011. all of the rest of the charges were dismissed.. is the record of arrests going to get in my way?
I do have a stable income. ssi and a couple of pensions. clean bill of health medically and a near perfect credit score..

Your record should be fine. They have their own credit system in the DR. Loans could be about 25 percent. However,
it is very expensive and things can really cost a lot of money. Most products are imported so they cost more than in the states. People may try to jip you everyday out of money. You will need to watch your wallet like a hawk and make sure noone overcharges you for products. People in the DR are notorious for trying to hike a free ride out of foreigners and their local wealthy people.

-->#3 how important is it to speak Espa?ol? i do have some words, i can read more than i can converse, so Rosetta Stone or do I just throw myself into the midst of it?

You will need excellent Spanish. Bring your A game. Live on Rosetta Stone, read Spanish newspapers online, listen to Spanish music and watch Telemundo 24/7 for at least two weeks before you come.

Some raw and uncut information from my years of experience here:

The beaches and waves are nice and man if you wan beaches, you came to heaven for beaches. The food is the best but you are not able to drink the tap water here. You will die if you drink it. Literally. You will need to remember to drink filtered water or else....

The women are hot and sexy and romantic. They are some of the hottest women in the world. Just scorching hot, enough to melt most men into melted candle wax. Dressed in shapely clothing with looks to die for. Their voices sound like the angels and make you want to do anything they ask for. The average Joe from the USA can pick up a dime piece with ease and make it his. BEWARE: THEY LOVE DOLLAR BILLS AND EXPENSIVE PRESENTS. The stuff is not free. If you are moving partially for the women, just beware that at least half of them are gold diggers and lots of them want a meal ticket to leave the country or a sugar daddy to get paid. If they ask for a light bill or only hold conversations about how broke they are, cut them off fast and get another one. "Ya la mujer no sirve=the woman already does not work and dump her. They are easier to get than in the states but most of them want monthly payments or to get on the installment plan with you. Do not worry, they will let you know when you are due for a payment to keep them. They may even need a down payment or work a you owe me tab with you to be more convenient. However, if you are selective enough and really look at them like you would when you look for marriage material, you can find one who wants love and not money or a visa.

Crime. The crime rate is interesting. It is similar to an average American ghetto. Something can happen if you are not careful. If you are careful and take the proper precautions. Although, something can happen anywhere anytime. However, you are pretty safe and good to go if you are careful.

If I were you, I would spend 3-4 weeks there and soak it all in to see if it is the place for you. Next door is Puerto Rico and many georgeous islands. Costa Rica, Panama, Brazil, Columbia and other locations are great too if you do not like it. Each one has its own flavor and is different.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

women are hot and sexy and romantic. The average Joe from the USA can pick up a dime piece with ease and make it his. BEWARE: THEY LOVE DOLLAR BILLS AND EXPENSIVE PRESENTS. The stuff is not free. If you are moving partially for the women, just beware that at least half of them are gold diggers and lots of them want a meal ticket to leave the country or a sugar daddy to get paid. Do not worry, they will let you know when you are due for a payment to keep them. They may even need a down payment or work a you owe me tab with you to be more convenient. However, if you are selective enough and really look at them like you would when you look for marriage material, you can find one who wants love and not money or a visa. .

It's interesting how some men expect to come to a poor country and "date" pretty young women (half their age or even younger) and believe that these women shouldn't have an ulterior motive to be with them , especially when the guy wouldn't be able to do the same in his own country unless he was a powerful businessman, some millionare or a Rock Star.
If you are dating a needy person who could be your daughter or grandaughter, then don't complain that she is a hooker, wants to use you to get money, pay her bills or a green card.That's what you bargained for! Don't tell me you actually thought she liked you for your good heart.

Date closer to your age range, get out of the slum and the car wash, look for someone you can talk to and have something in common with!

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
It's interesting how some men expect to come to a poor country and "date" pretty young women (half their age or even younger) and believe that these women shouldn't have an ulterior motive to be with them , especially when the guy wouldn't be able to do the same in his own country unless he was a powerful businessman, some millionare or a Rock Star.
If you are dating a needy person who could be your daughter or grandaughter, then don't complain that she is a hooker, wants to use you to get money, pay her bills or a green card.That's what you bargained for! Don't tell me you actually thought she liked you for your good heart.

Date closer to your age range, get out of the slum and the car wash, look for someone you can talk to and have something in common with!

I was speaking in general. DO not assume things that ar enot true.

Personally, I only dated within 3 years of my age. I can get girls like that back in the USA. No, I never dated or used a hooker in the DR. No, I do not date in the slums in the DR, I stay with middle or upper class chicks. Yes, I am a businessman who makes over 200,000 per year.

Just butt out and keep your ignorant comments to yourself and let the guy get my advice for him. I was talking to him and not to some sort of tart like yourself.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I was speaking in general. DO not assume things that ar enot true.

Personally, I only dated within 3 years of my age. I can get girls like that back in the USA. No, I never dated or used a hooker in the DR. No, I do not date in the slums in the DR, I stay with middle or upper class chicks. Yes, I am a businessman who makes over 200,000 per year.

Just butt out and keep your ignorant comments to yourself and let the guy get my advice for him. I was talking to him and not to some sort of tart like yourself.

I was speaking in General too! If my comments were so ignorant then you wouldn't see plenty of old, bald/ fat guys "dating" poor women who could be their daughters (or grandaughters) still wondering IF these women are using them. In their countries, these guys don't get to attract pretty girls that young unless they're rich, but here they play the victim card!
If a few dollars is the ONLY charm you have in the DR, then most probable thing is, that is also the only charm you have or don't have, back in your country!

IB-ED

Jun 18, 2012
I was speaking in General too! If my comments were so ignorant then you wouldn't see plenty of old, bald/ fat guys "dating" poor women who could be their daughters (or grandaughters) still wondering IF these women are using them. In their countries, these guys don't get to attract pretty girls that young unless they're rich, but here they play the victim card!
If a few dollars is the ONLY charm you have in the DR, then most probable thing is, that is also the only charm you have or don't have, back in your country!

Hmmmm, i did not wish to start a fight here. You may be surprised to find that some older guys, stay in shape, know how to treat and attract a lady, and I admit that i have been seeing a 20 something here in socal. (and i am definitely not rich) I am rarely taken for my actual age, probably as much for the attitude that I have, vicariously achieved by having a just turned 19 yr old U.S.MARINE son, and interacting with him and his friends.

I have also been in contact with some women in the DR via the internet and email and Skype. it is what it is, and since i have a choice for female companions it is my choice and certainly not subject to condemnation. BTW, here in the states and i am sure elsewhere, everyone uses everyone for something, either overtly or covertly.

so that written, I do appreciate the comments to my post, I have received some very valuable advice. I am looking forward to this trip, which in answer to another poster, i am planning for myself. no travel agent, just good old homework, such as finding this forum and doing a lot of reading.

Be well and happy, let's all be ladies and gentlemen, the world has enough unrest without adding to it.

Peace ;)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hmmmm, i did not wish to start a fight here. You may be surprised to find that some older guys, stay in shape, know how to treat and attract a lady, and I admit that i have been seeing a 20 something here in socal. (and i am definitely not rich) I am rarely taken for my actual age, probably as much for the attitude that I have, vicariously achieved by having a just turned 19 yr old U.S.MARINE son, and interacting with him and his friends.

I have also been in contact with some women in the DR via the internet and email and Skype. it is what it is, and since i have a choice for female companions it is my choice and certainly not subject to condemnation. BTW, here in the states and i am sure elsewhere, everyone uses everyone for something, either overtly or covertly.

so that written, I do appreciate the comments to my post, I have received some very valuable advice. I am looking forward to this trip, which in answer to another poster, i am planning for myself. no travel agent, just good old homework, such as finding this forum and doing a lot of reading.

Peace ;)

There you go! You are fit, look younger, treat women well and seem to have a positive attitude. One of my points is that if you can attract young girls in your country ony based on your personal and physical qualities, you can also attract women in other countries without them having an ulterior motive, and this is something that usually people in these forums don't believe.

Most seem to think that no matter how charming you are or how attractive you are, you can only get girls if you have money. Well, money and a green card is definitely a plus but if you've got charm there you'll have it here too.

Maybe I should have just opened a new thread about it instead of just trying to discuss it in yours!

Anyway, You seem like a positive and relaxed guy! I'm sure you'll have a great time in the DR!

Welcome!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You,you,you,mean that all those 18 year old,sexy,passionate,destitute "Dominicanas" I have been "Dating" for the past 26 years,don't find a fat,old,bald,ugly,stupid,small dicked,65 year old man that sexy?????????
Well,that's cool.
I guess money can't buy everything I want,just the ONLY thing I want!!!!!
Works for fat old ladies too!
"Come On Down!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010

Aguitas; Date women closer to his age???? the man is 69...he will have to go to an old age home..if he finds one alive at that age. the only thing they will have in common is....where are my arthritis pills???

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
the trip is worth it for the experience Cabarete is unique , bars and restaurants right on the ocean , the three types of surfing , wind surfing ,kite surfing , board surfing within a 15 min distance makes it one of the most impressive from this point .Cabarete is also safe , as long as you aren't stupid .Like anywhere dumb is dumb anywhere. explore, do your home as best as you can .The learning Spanish thing . NOT IMPORTANT. THEY DON'T SPEAK SPANISh here. ,unless you are in the capital ,Santo domingo and Santiago .,maybe las TERRANAS ( can't say Have not lived there ) but the rest of the the country And I am speaking GENERALLY you will have to learn anew type of Spanish called CAMPO SPANISH. So the. Rosetta stone experience. , y not but that Is not too important. Cabarete is likely one of the most gringo areas where Spanish is not too worrisome do TO The well the culture wants to be American due to TV AND WHAT THEY SEE , THE ILLUSION . However I have had boots on the ground here in Cabarete 4. 8 years so I am only one opinion in a cluster . check it out , just don't think for one second , you will make any kind of income here .!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
You can drive anywhere without any license at all, if you do so without incident.

you don't have to find trouble... sometimes trouble finds YOU. Didn't happen in the D.R., but a couple of months ago, I was stopped, waiting for traffic to pass so I could turn into a driveway, and got slammed in the rear out of nowhere.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Aguitas; Date women closer to his age???? the man is 69...he will have to go to an old age home..if he finds one alive at that age. the only thing they will have in common is....where are my arthritis pills???

well... if my wonderful wife wasn't here to pass me my arthritis pills... who better to pass me my meds than a young, beautiful chica, who I'm sure loves me with all her heart.... arthritis and all. LOLOLOL

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
You,you,you,mean that all those 18 year old,sexy,passionate,destitute "Dominicanas" I have been "Dating" for the past 26 years,don't find a fat,old,bald,ugly,stupid,small dicked,65 year old man that sexy?????????
Well,that's cool.
I guess money can't buy everything I want,just the ONLY thing I want!!!!!
Works for fat old ladies too!
"Come On Down!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cristobal... may be.. just may be, if you look for women your own age.....you will find a true soul mate and "real" happiness.

santo0425

Mar 2, 2013
There are much better places to live. If you want to live on the beach try Ecuador. The dollar goes much further and you will live a better quality of life. There are too many prostitutes in Cabarete and Sosua. Very little, if any at all, family values and everyone has an excuse to be a con: poverty. We have traveled to many countries and the DR is one of the worse places that we have been.

Look at: WARNING! Too many tourists & foreign investors are killed in Dominican Republic - Body Count: 26, Who is next? Canadian civil war world blogger calls DR the world's most dangerous country! :: Dominican Watchdog

One person wrote this about the DR:
Worst Case Scenarios.
I?ve seen relationships carry on for years, often with the tourist coming to visit as often as every few weeks, or as few as once a year, with the relationship held together through phone calls and e-mail. I?ve seen cases where locals have even married, moved to the host country of the tourist, then two or three years later a brother or sister is helped to get a visa, only to turn out to be their lover, not their sibling! I?ve seen tourists that have relocated to the country, married and had children, only to have the tourist die of ?mysterious causes? five years later, leaving behind their estate to their local spouse and children. Maybe these were extreme circumstances, but it happens. You may never really ?know?, as long as the ?dynamic? described at the start of this page, exists. Maybe you?ll get lucky and meet one of the ?good ones?. Everybody is sure they did. Almost nobody does.

If this appeals to you then you have the perfect place to go to. No problem staying here beyond the days permitted by the tourist visa.

Also, you should consider getting your criminal record expunged. Very easy to do (do not need a lawyer) and this will allow you to put it where it belongs: in the past.

I am in the process of helping a friend determine if he is the father a child born in the DR. It is amazing how many of these women claim that at least three men are the fathers of their child.

Good luck!