Immigration / Visa for US

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
But she could visit or will they be suspicious giving the mom a visitors visa suspecting she might illegally stay?

That is what the aunt of my wife is doing: (she got without problems and very fast a tourists visa)
She will go back and forth on tourists visa, always taking care not to overstay etc. to show good behavior. They hope this will facilitate a later application for a residency...??

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Her mother is retired. Owns (or owned an apartment in NY), recently moved to Florida. My ex has an ongoing (remote) job for a US company (not sure if that counts). But not employed with 401K or such, just freelancing (wage quite good for DR, but nothing in US though).

Do you know how the required income is measured?

By income tax returns. If you didn't report the income you can't claim it for the purpose of sponsoring an immigrant.
Der Fish

Apr 7, 2014
But she could visit or will they be suspicious giving the mom a visitors visa suspecting she might illegally stay?

That is what the aunt of my wife is doing: (she got without problems and very fast a tourists visa)
She will go back and forth on tourists visa, always taking care not to overstay etc. to show good behavior. They hope this will facilitate a later application for a residency...??

I dont see how a tourist visa translates to a residency application. The tourist visa says you can come, look and go back. You cannot work(on the books). Maybe it will work, I dont see the correlation nor the avoidance of the waiting period.

You need assets for a tourist visa. Skills for a work visa.

Alot of Dominicans think they are awarded visas easily. What they are actually given is Receipt of Application letters which looks like an approval letter because it has a case number on it. But there is still the federal lottery and waiting list.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
in the aunts case she got it and left a week later for Florida. She is there at the moment and will be back. I don't know but they hope the stamps will look good proving she was there without illegally staying etc. What do I know. Maybe they don't care. :D

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
in the aunts case she got it and left a week later for Florida. She is there at the moment and will be back. I don't know but they hope the stamps will look good proving she was there without illegally staying etc. What do I know. Maybe they don't care. :D

Miami does not stamp the passport any more and never on leaving. you will need to track the electronic I94. https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent...f1m3GVDtFrvQGzCwhrQLFGfvnpMQmhtCN!-1467311664 you will want the history. will show entry and exit dates.

Currently having this problem. History shows the arrival and date to leave but does not have the exit information, so am saving ticket stubs ect. Glad that the DR stamps your entry, as may need all the next time we visit the US