Importing Motorcycles

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Has anyone had experience importing motorcycles. Does the 5 year rule apply like cars? Does the 30 year rule apply for classics?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Motos with engines from less than 50cc to as much as 250cc pay a %14 VAT plus ITBIS (which includes shipping and insurance amounts).

The valuation method is CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight). In addition to duty, imports are also subject to Sales Tax, Exchange Surcharge and Port Ancillaries.

The value of the moto is not what you paid or market, but whatever they assigned in their playbook.

Those with engines above 250cc and up pay 20% plus ITBIS.
Those with electric motors pay 20% VAT no matter the capacity.

Moto parts pay 8% VAT. No matter which part.

Used to be guys imported the motos by parts in several shipments, paid the lower VAT and later put them together and saved money. You can’t any longer do that as they require the taxes paid on the VIN to register now. If the VIN is not registered in the tax dept, you can’t get a tax certificate to register for the title.

As far as year, so far they were clearing only newer motos into the country.

After all is said and done, you’ll be paying a minimum around 45% or much more in all VATs, taxes and first tag for that moto.

Your import code should be between
8711.10.xx to 8711.60.xx

Motos can’t be shipped RoRo, they must come inside a container and boxed for shipping.

There are shipping and brokerage companies that will do door to door for you, at a premium.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Looks like I'll be selling the Sportster. Now about my moutain bike ...

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
Over the years I have brought in 6- yes it is expensive, pretty much pay around 45% of the value in fees+ shipping cost. Yes the 5 year rule applies. For me it was well worth it. GL

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Looks like I'll be selling the Sportster. Now about my moutain bike ...

That you can do door to door shipping. The rate is 20% duty+ all fees. But the shipping company has a standardized billing rate for them. Which means you only pay the shipping including any tariffs directly to them and await your bike at home in the DR, without any further action.

Reactions: Africaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That you can do door to door shipping. The rate is 20% duty+ all fees. But the shipping company has a standardized billing rate for them. Which means you only pay the shipping including any tariffs directly to them and await your bike at home in the DR, without any further action.

Indeed.
Paid 30$ to ship my son's bike (small adult size) from NY to LT with Quisqueya Shipping.
My friend has a bike store in Brooklyn, so the bike was built, then packed for shipping.
Very convenient.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The thing about the Sportster is I can't fit it on my boat. I know I'd be stopped with Florida tags on it anyway. The moutain bike is my standard transportation around the Bahamas.

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The thing about the Sportster is I can't fit it on my boat. I know I'd be stopped with Florida tags on it anyway. The moutain bike is my standard transportation around the Bahamas.

If you have a boat, don’t you already have a dinghy?
You can seal the bike in a waterproof box and strapped in the dinghy for transport.
You can also use one of those cargo wave towables.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
If you have a boat, don’t you already have a dinghy?
You can seal the bike in a waterproof box and strapped in the dinghy for transport.
You can also use one of those cargo wave towables.
interesting concept. the dinghy is on the foredeck, the bike inside the shrouds of sailboat.

Feb 7, 2007
Motos with engines from less than 50cc to as much as 250cc pay a %14 VAT plus ITBIS (which includes shipping and insurance amounts).

The valuation method is CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight). In addition to duty, imports are also subject to Sales Tax, Exchange Surcharge and Port Ancillaries.

The value of the moto is not what you paid or market, but whatever they assigned in their playbook.

Those with engines above 250cc and up pay 20% plus ITBIS.
Those with electric motors pay 20% VAT no matter the capacity.

Moto parts pay 8% VAT. No matter which part.

Used to be guys imported the motos by parts in several shipments, paid the lower VAT and later put them together and saved money. You can’t any longer do that as they require the taxes paid on the VIN to register now. If the VIN is not registered in the tax dept, you can’t get a tax certificate to register for the title.

As far as year, so far they were clearing only newer motos into the country.

After all is said and done, you’ll be paying a minimum around 45% or much more in all VATs, taxes and first tag for that moto.

Your import code should be between
8711.10.xx to 8711.60.xx

Motos can’t be shipped RoRo, they must come inside a container and boxed for shipping.

There are shipping and brokerage companies that will do door to door for you, at a premium.
Pichardo, VAT *IS* ITBIS.
You wanted to say import tax, which is Gravamen.

Reactions: PICHARDO