Indian restaurant

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I've never had Indian food, although my daughter raves about it, I think I'm afraid of the spicyness. I DO have a huge back yard, 15 tareas, so how about you coming out and cooking Indian food for a group of DR1ers one of these days??

hahahaha, thanks but I had been down this road many times for more than a decade. At first I thought of it as a honor to cook for strangers. Now I feel totally stupid doing this. just so happens, I end up cooking and getting all black from BBQ smoke in hot weather while the rest would sit and enjoy the food in their comfortable seats, laughing and enjoying the evening. In the end they would thank me for lovely dinner and another person would invite me to their bbq where they would put me to the grill to cook and serve their friends. None of them were able to invite me to their homes to let me taste their meals while I sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the evening laughing and eating. they all seem to think I love to sweat, break my arse near the grill and cook and serve the people. somehow people think its something I like to do. Hahahaha.
Now I cook for only close friends only. if someone is not compatible with me in terms of cooking ability, then what do I have to gain from them coming over and eating? they can never cook well and they will never be able to invite me to their dinner. example: dominicans always enjoy my cooking but when they invite me to their homes, they always cook up food which almost always had pork in it. they know very well I do not eat pork but this has never stopped them from disappointing me. so I do not cook for dominicans anymore, except for a few close friends.
AZB

P.S. Maybe one day, when robert from DR1 is here, i will invite you to my home. then you will get a taste of some of my flavors. Robert used to hate indian food (a brit) now he loves it.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Aftab, I think I can remember Robert wolfing down all kinds of food at Oscar's sadly lamented Noches Pakistanis at Mi Taverna a few years ago. Those were fun nights, people loved the raqqesah, although I must admit that I found that part rather tacky........

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Sounds delicious, Coriander Tiramisu...kidding but i thought i'd give it a try. True that people are still not open to spices and curries yet but i Saw that in Santo Domingo, a new young chef is taking the Dominican food to the next level by experimental fusion with french cooking, oriental spices etc. Apart from serving Granola a la carte in Desserts. I find that place very interesting. If
ever you want to try, its Travesias in Abraham Lincoln Ave.
On my behalf, it might take time. let's see.
regards

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
I do not know how true these articles are but the word Curry was created by the Brits as it was too complicated for them to
pronounce each Indian Dish. So every dish which is saucy, spices etc is called Curry. There are many stories if Chicken Tikka but the origin was Persian, few Hundred years ago, the cooks of Babur created this dish Chicken Tikka. Later on in the sixties, it was recreated in Britain by a Brit with the help of bangladeshi cooks, he didn't like the dry chicken so he added a can of Campbell's tomato soup, spices and yogurt. Voila.
I learnt this from the website of Food Detective ...

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Yes this area has a lot of Tourists and Europeans who do know Indian food and i have few British and Canadians as my neighbours.
Amen to that the next one should be in LT. I appreciate your thought.
(i don't want to count my chickens before the eggs hatch).

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
There is also good supply of sorrel leaves here. Chicken Gongura (chicken with sorrel leaves) from south india, please add it to
'try' list.

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Dear AZB,

Thank you for your guidance and advice. Rightly said, Bavaro PC being highly touristic and with knowledge of Indian food and i
precisely speaking i am targeting these customers. I do not have a tandoor yet but in the restaurant i purchased, i have a wood pizza oven, which is actually the same concept of tandoor and the food turned out pretty good with smokey flavour of a tandoor.
Spices are from US because i couldn't find anything else except cumin and mustard grains here and dry chillies. Basically it's going to be more home made food with specialities of South Indian tamarind rice, mango rice and coconut rice, biryani along with naan and meat dishes. I planted some curry leaves seeds to see if i can have success as there is a lot of Neem trees growing here.
Looking forward to taste your food someday sir.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dear AZB,

Thank you for your guidance and advice. Rightly said, Bavaro PC being highly touristic and with knowledge of Indian food and i
precisely speaking i am targeting these customers. I do not have a tandoor yet but in the restaurant i purchased, i have a wood pizza oven, which is actually the same concept of tandoor and the food turned out pretty good with smokey flavour of a tandoor.
Spices are from US because i couldn't find anything else except cumin and mustard grains here and dry chillies. Basically it's going to be more home made food with specialities of South Indian tamarind rice, mango rice and coconut rice, biryani along with naan and meat dishes. I planted some curry leaves seeds to see if i can have success as there is a lot of Neem trees growing here.
Looking forward to taste your food someday sir.

Dear Krishna, I will pray for your success in this country. we desperately need a real indian restaurant. One day i will visit you in punta cana /bavaro region. you have all my support and I am quite sure you will succeed.
AZB

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Dear Krishna, I will pray for your success in this country. we desperately need a real indian restaurant. One day i will visit you in punta cana /bavaro region. you have all my support and I am quite sure you will succeed.
AZB

I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, is the "Land That Spice Forgot"!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Poor Barrio Rats eat me, And I'm VERY HOT & SPICY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must be the "Preparations"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i discovered that our dogs like curry. i made chicken with coconut milk and red curry paste. there was a bit of sauce left so i poured it on their food. they were sooooo happy.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Dear friend,
The indian Restaurant Namaste will open in the first week of May in plaza el dorado, Bavaro. Am saying first week my
Time and hope it will be on time. Will keep you all posted.
Regards

I am waiting with bated breath, we adore Indian and just can't wait. Every time I pass by the restaurant, I see that they are still working on the interior etc. Keep us posted, please as we will most definitely be one of your first customers and I am sure it will be good so we will be there as often as our pockets will allow... yeeehaaa!

Abi

Feb 10, 2014
indian cuisine

the best indian restaurant to date is in santo domingo. Its called "Casa de AZB". unfortunately its not open to business to the general public. Only to special friends of mine.
Now to the confused folks: there is no real indian restaurant in this country. The ones who claim to make indian / Pakistani food are fake to just plain bad. I make the best tandoori chicken tikka and other dishes along with basmati rice (bryani). My rice and spices are bought in NY or atlanta (which come straight from india or pakistan). I do make dal dishes but my main specialty is BBQ dishes. So I am not too worried about having an indian restaurant in this country. to date I have tasted food of a few places which claim to make indian food, I found them to be all fake. I have not tasted the place in santo domingo which is run by some pakistani students but I have a feeling, I can always make better food than they can. My bbq meat is better than any indian restaurant i have eaten in NY.
AZB[/Are you in santo domingo. What is your phone number and can you deliver? I don't know how to place this in your inbox]