Interesting story about an emergency stay at a DR Hospital...

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
how about haitians who do not speak over the phone?

Maybe you don't get to find them up in Puerto Plata, but if you cared to visit Santo Domingo one day, sweetheart, I could assure you that you wouldn't be able to throw a stone and not hit one of them doing such in the process. So widespread is their possession among them.

As for the ones that don't have them, they get to walk in packs, jabbering their kreyol just the same. And as Gwozozo said, the majority looks straight up Congolese. One would have to be extremely ignorant (or blind) not to see their more homogenous appearance. As the dude from the Cristo Rey movie would say, "they all look the same".

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are haitians in POP as well, you know. and dominicans should be grateful for that. if it was not for haitians dominicans would have to do their jobs. and they don't want to.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
there are haitians in POP as well, you know. and dominicans should be grateful for that. if it was not for haitians dominicans would have to do their jobs. and they don't want to.

Because they don't want to enslave themselves, which is what it would all amount to if they accepted the jobs at the current wages. If you haven't realized it yet, the majority tend to do the same jobs when they are in Puerto Rico and the US mainland, so the depressed purchasing power of the peso is the main question at hand here. As long as the value of the remesas keep being higher than the local wages, you will have the same thing happening. The same relationship happens between the minimal salaries here vs. the ones in gourdes on the western part of the island. Of course, in the latter scenario we have to factor in the lack of sources of employment there as well.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
realistically you cannot pay more for job requiring little to no skill. everyone profits from this arrangement and it is no different anywhere else. employers will not raise salaries. when forced, they make up for this by raising prices and the purchase power remains the same.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
The two nationalities look totally different from each other...so dominicans are just "pussying" around by not taking action.

Again, haitians can be identified on sight.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The two nationalities look totally different from each other...so dominicans are just "pussying" around by not taking action.

I've been fooled but my wife always knows. LOL. There has been enough interbreeding to leave many people in the middle.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I know that you say this.. but Haitians and Dominicans have been intermarrying for 500 years.. They are not that seperate really.. If you go to the Bataye areas.. not the ones which are active. but the ones which have closed down, where there used to be sugar cane workers and there are not.. and look at the people there.. Dominicans? Haitians? I know that both sides of this want to emphasize that there is really some sort of DIFFERENCE... some genetic.. difference.. but it is really only about how much African ancestry there is.. and then it is a matter of culture.

There are those who say they are Haitian.. Who will not give up their national roots... just as many in the USA still celebrate their ancestral roots.. And there are those from Haitian origiins who are simply Dominican.

A nation is not a RACE. Now, perhaps.. those nations which have been small and limited their marriage pool to those inside the nation == ok.. say Swedes? or Danes? perhaps...

But really on this side of the pond.. we are all MUTS mixtures.. except for some indigenous tribes which remain untouched.. and, probably, the majority of Haitians.

But most citizens of the US, of Canada, and the rest of South America... really.. just immigrants, or slaves..

Sorry if I have offended anyone.. I get really upset over this sort of stuff.. like in the US when the Daughters of the American Revolution gets togehter.. or the Society of Mayflower Descendents (which my family used to be members of ) and think someone is better than someone else because of the time at which their boat landed or the

blood ???? of their ancestors....

just fellow immigrants

some came willingly, some not so..

do wish all the fighting would stop

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I know that you say this.. but Haitians and Dominicans have been intermarrying for 500 years.. They are not that seperate really.. If you go to the Bataye areas.. not the ones which are active. but the ones which have closed down, where there used to be sugar cane workers and there are not.. and look at the people there.. Dominicans? Haitians? I know that both sides of this want to emphasize that there is really some sort of DIFFERENCE... some genetic.. difference.. but it is really only about how much African ancestry there is.. and then it is a matter of culture.

It isn't that hard, really. It's not as if we were speaking of telling apart Japanese from Chinese or Koreans. As someone mentioned in the "21 Ways" thread, we just simply "know". And I'm sure Haitians have the same trait for telling apart "neg" from "blan".

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But the orientals can tell Japanese from Chinese and Koreans, ask Koreano.

My son's wife is Chinese and they can tell southern Chinese from northern....etc. He as well can tell Koreans, Japanese,....etc apart and so can I usually as I grew up surrounded by Japanese and Vietnamese.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It isn't that hard, really. It's not as if we were speaking of telling apart Japanese from Chinese or Koreans. As someone mentioned in the "21 Ways" thread, we just simply "know". And I'm sure Haitians have the same trait for telling apart "neg" from "blan".

I am not talking about newly arrived Haitians.. But if a Haitian is born here, and raised here? Can you still tell he is "Haitian".. how? Simply because he looks more "african'?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I am not talking about newly arrived Haitians.. But if a Haitian is born here, and raised here? Can you still tell he is "Haitian".. how? Simply because he looks more "african'?

In that case it would be a matter of culture, primarily, which is his/her mother tongue. Thing is, I could bet on anything that the new arrivals surpass in numbers the ones born here by a wide margin* (even the so called "survey" made by the state via ONE these days tells as much). If there's one thing that the current sentence ruckus have acomplished is to distract both sides of the matter as to what should be done with the former segment of the population. And it couldn't have been any other way, cuz' some people at both sides (either NGO's and/or businessmen here) want the status quo to continue, for far different reasons, of course.

* = Just like in Saint Domingue during slavery days, how ironic.

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
90% of cases are in negro africa.

Haiti is an african country.

That is why it is extremely important that DR seals that border to protect its people and its tourist industry.

There will be new and easier to catch diseases in the future.

Easy fix.

Refuse entry visas to foreign mosquitoes and viruses...

(I'm white and still got malaria in Africa. Should I remind that parasite to stick to Africans maybe?)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
So she caught it in Haiti. What does this have to do with the DR. Now every tourist to DR tourist zones will be asking if they have to take the meds. Stirring the pot are we????
Maybe your title should read "Malaria: The dangers of not taking anti-malaria tablets when visiting Haiti"

Bob K

Lots of mosquitos don't stop at the border