Intrant to move ahead in its plan to register motorcyclists

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would say only the owner. And if you bought a bike with no license then you were a dummy.
Seems to work in the Capital so eventually it should work here.

I hate to see a poor kid without transport but I hate even less the flaunting of laws and the reckless manner that many use the public roads as raceways and ignore lights.

We are all at risk from Yayhoos running into us or in front of us. It is like everything always a few spoiling it for the rest.

I would say 40% of the motos are not safe or equipped to be on the road. Many have had all the lights removed. Most have no mirrors. And you think their brakes work well ?
And the Helmets should be DOT approved (or some competent agency) A hard hat is not a motor cycle helmet
The lights are removed because they get better gas mileage without them.

(That is what I was told. Hilarious, no? )

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The lights are removed because they get better gas mileage without them.

(That is what I was told. Hilarious, no? )
Right. they draw current away from the spark plug. :rolleyes:

Doesn't explain why they use LED strobe lights though.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Right. they draw current away from the spark plug. :rolleyes:

Doesn't explain why they use LED strobe lights though.
Actually, as ridiculous as it sounds and however miniscule the effects are, there is an iota of truth in that statement. Without light and/or mirrors the aerodynamic drag is smaller improving fuel efficiency an infinitesimal amount. The overall weight of the bike is also reduced ever so slightly also contributing to fuel efficiency. Yes it's laughable but there is truth to the statement.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Two more employees were reg'd ....

One went at 12 noon....about an hour
Other went at 7:30am..... 5 hrs in line

People are taking this seriously.....at least in Cabrera

Reactions: zoomzx11

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My friend's view from another site -
in response to the poor DR driving habits
============================================

your frustrations reflect not being able to drive in the conditions set in your own country.

The reality this type of driving is to be found worldwide. Believe me I have seen worse in numerous countries in which I have lived and travelled as an expat.

DR just needs a government to start applying laws which are not much different to your country.

For 20 years DR has done nothing. In 20 months changes have started.

Relevant to the thread, in 1 year the number of licensed and registered moto drivers has gone from 17k to 550k despite what posters wrote earlier in the thread. Give it another year and now fines and hopefully this so called 'joke' will encompass 40% of moto drivers and 60% soon after.

A joke is when you continue to let the carnage of moto drivers continue without action. Yes it was a joke doing nothing new. To go from 17k to 2.8m was not going to happen anywhere in 12 months. We need to be realistic and concur with the efforts being made to increase numbers, train and pay a decent wage to Digisett employees, and so be able to begin to apply transit laws to a country that has had decades of disregard.

I personally don't believe in DR it is any more difficult to drive if you have been taught defensive driving techniques and understand developing nations.
WHO said it and Fox News reported it so it must be true, DR is the most dangerous country in the world for drivers.
We top Venezuela, Thailand, Iran, Nigeria, and South Africa to name a few.
People personally think a lot of things but thinking don't make it true.
In the DR when you drive its not if you are in an accident but when.
For some strange reason Dominicans are not disturbed by their highways being the number one cause of death in the country.
I think it is appalling.
No matter how great a driver you are here other drivers just crash into you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been hit once and have had many close calls, normally motos turning left in front of me after passing on the right...etc. Scary driving for sure, however I found driving in Honduras and Eygpt worse.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you drive defensively..... it's not that scary.....

But - Yes - many motos are unpredictable.... luckily for them, they're agile !!

Reactions: JD Jones

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
WHO said it and Fox News reported it so it must be true, DR is the most dangerous country in the world for drivers.
We top Venezuela, Thailand, Iran, Nigeria, and South Africa to name a few.
People personally think a lot of things but thinking don't make it true.
In the DR when you drive its not if you are in an accident but when.
For some strange reason Dominicans are not disturbed by their highways being the number one cause of death in the country.
I think it is appalling.
No matter how great a driver you are here other drivers just crash into you.
100%

You can register the motorcycle, you can register the helmet and you can register the drivers underwear. Who cares until you patrol the highways for the safety of everyone, not just rich folks speed traps in la Romana. Everyone will be registered and then 20 years from now we'll dust off that useless rotting database and decide we're gonna now patrol the highways and roads like a civilized country.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As long as Motos can go the wrong way on a one way street nothing good can possibly happen...........Not to mention riding on the sidewalk to save 2 minutes...........

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
As long as Motos can go the wrong way on a one way street nothing good can possibly happen...........Not to mention riding on the sidewalk to save 2 minutes...........
Dont forget the local favorite, the highly intelligent and coordinated act of popping wheelies! So, when they come crashing down on an unsuspecting pedestrian and kill them, well they'll be registered.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
He is a unique dilemma. My bike is plated and registered. I have 3 different helmets that I wear based on where I am going and the weather I might encounter. How is one sticker going to work? LOL. The other thing, is the helmet sticker registered to the bike itself or the driver? If it is the bike itself, what happens if you own 2 bikes and one helmet???

I have yet to see anyone on a larger bike with a sticker on a helmet.

I have had my motorcycle license in Canada since 1976. On top of that, I have my CMA race license (#233) yet of course, I will have to be tested. They do make it difficult for simple tasks. When I went for my general driver's license renewal in La Romana the process was exceptionally slow and unorganized. I guess I can plan on another full day watching the circus in action!

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
He is a unique dilemma. My bike is plated and registered. I have 3 different helmets that I wear based on where I am going and the weather I might encounter. How is one sticker going to work? LOL. The other thing, is the helmet sticker registered to the bike itself or the driver? If it is the bike itself, what happens if you own 2 bikes and one helmet???

I have had my motorcycle license in Canada since 1976. On top of that, I have my CMA race license (#233) yet of course, I will have to be tested. They do make it difficult for simple tasks. When I went for my general driver's license renewal in La Romana the process was exceptionally slow and unorganized. I guess I can plan on another full day watching the circus in action!
Hey but they have biological scanners now! All the tech in the world can't fix incompetent human hands or embarrassingly broken processes :ROFLMAO:

Feb 7, 2007
One of the biggest obstacle will be getting motos and payola owners to actually transfer the ownership to their name. That will cost them money, money they don't want to spend. Many here are riding their motos with the ownership still in the previous owners name, sometimes sold several times and still in the original owners name.

Government is losing a lot of money when the transfer fees are not paid up every time a vehicle is sold.

Lawyers are losing a lot of business.

Streamline the process. Do they really need a lawyer to make out a bill of sale?
No need to transfer any ownership.

"Papel" from motoprestamos is all that is needed as long as it has the VIN number. A small fee for the registration card, helmet, and small fee for insurance. In an out in 15 minutes when I did this for my scooter couple of months ago. About 1000 pesos total cost with insurance and everything. And no, no matrícula or license plate needed, I still drive around with an Ohio novelty plate the scooter came with, and the motoprestamos has still the matrícula in their drawer.

Reactions: cavok
Feb 7, 2007

Take a photo of the helmet sticker, go to imprenta and ask them to print two copies of the sticker for you on a sticker paper and just stick it on the other two helmets.

Feb 7, 2007
It might..... but

Remember, this process involves getting a DR license........

Not all 'visitors' here will qualify

Worth asking the question, I'd say
Motorcycle license is not a license. It's a registration card. Even though it says license. And you don't have to pass any test to get it, just pay the fee.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

When my wife got her motorcycle endorsement on her existing license to drive an automobile, she asked about the sticker for her helmet.

She was told by the manager at the Intrant office that she did not need the sticker because she also had an automobile license. The sticker was just for people who only have a small motorcycle. True story. I was there. Just another one of those WTF moments in the DR. And so it goes. A lot of things here make no sense and that response was certainly another of those things.

Will she be pulled over more often because she does not have that sticker on her helmet? Time will tell.

Reactions: cavok and drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Motorcycle license is not a license. It's a registration card. Even though it says license. And you don't have to pass any test to get it, just pay the fee.
I think you are talking about the registration of the motorcycle, NOT the license.

A motorcycle license is without a doubt a license that requires taking a test to obtain.
One can make an appointment for that license and test here:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Two licenses...one for a motorcycle another (upgrade) for an automobile

They test & issue the licenses at these reg'n sites - If I read it right !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Two licenses...one for a motorcycle another (upgrade) for an automobile
Both of those licenses are shown as endorsements, Catetory 1 for a motorcycle and Category 2 for automobiles, on the back of the same dirver's license. I don't consider one as an upgrade for the other. They are simply different driver's licenses.
They test & issue the licenses at these reg'n sites - If I read it right !
Since the motorcycle was already registered, I don't know about that precise point as them being the same location.
Intrant has this about registration, but does not seem to apply to motorcycles or automobiles: