"iPhone 3G" by Apple Computer

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have a 1st gen iphone that I unblocked and use in DR with my orange sim. I plan on getting a 3g when they ship and would love to be able to just swap sims when I am in DR. Hopefully that will work. I can get a Claro acount or Viva if necessary.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
iphone/GSM/EDGE/EVDO (not EDVO)/3G

There are more inaccuracies than usual in this thread:

-EDVO is a typo, the acronym is EVDO, which is short for "evolution data only,"

-EVDO is a CDMA protocol, CDMA is the type of network that Claro/Verizon used to be. Claro and Orange were correctly identified as GSM networks in this thread.

-Orange offers EDGE, which is also known in mobile network circles as "2.5G." a precursor to the 3G service widely available in more developed countries. In the Americas, the first generation iphone is compatible with EDGE/2.5G, but not 3G. The new generation iphone is 3G capable, but Orange and Viva (previously Centennial) are not.

-iphones showed up in the DR about 2 months after its worldwide launch, as soon as unlocking services succeeded in removing the so-called subsidy lock so any active GSM SIM card could be inserted into the device to make it work. Some of you may recall reading about Leonel's daughter having one stolen from her car not long ago.

-New iphones are in country, but offer no functional advantages over the 1st generation iphones. They will become a must-have in order to "figurear" (show off).

RECOMMENDATIONS

-Anyone looking to use an iphone of whatever vintage (or any other imported device) should make sure it is networked unlocked.

-Don't expect much coverage outside city centers

-Avoid buying smartphones/PDAs/or other devices that cost more than cell phones unless they are 802.11 (WiFi) capable.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
3G Iphone in DR

Does anyone know if the new Iphone will be available in DR with the World wide July 11 launch? Also, is the first generation model easy to come by?

Thanks.

CJ

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
went to Claro the other day,and they told me they would have new iphone in August....take that for what it may be worth!!!!
bob

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I was looking at the Orange website for the DR and right on the front page they have a picture of the iPhone and a spot to enter your information to notify you when its available.

Also in the latest firmware in the international settings when you pull down the list of countries now the Dominican Republic is listed as an option.

I would definitely be curious how well the GPS and 3G service works in various cities.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Just for Information.............

On the "NEW" Apple Iphone, you have the option of TURNING OFF the G3 service if you want..........

Even in the states, there are places where the G3 signal is not good and if you turn it off, the "NEW" Iphone will operate like the "OLD" Iphone and the service will be much better...........

Aug 21, 2007
I know nothing about the Iphone.

But, I DO know Apple products, and am familiar with and a frequent customer of the Apple Store in our town in the US. Recently, my computer crashed and I went to the Genius Table for help. I was there on two different days. There were about 5 seats at the table, all for folks needing service. Both days, all seats-except my own, of course- were occupied with people with Iphones which were not operating correctly. This is in the US.

Who will help you here in the DR?

Yes, I know Apple has telephone techs. When I needed help, I used this service first. I spoke to someone in the Phillipines for 2 1/2 hours before he transferred me to his supervisor (who was an American in the US.) After the supervisor made his suggestions and hung up, the problem still unsolved. I then went into the Apple Store, and finally, then the problem was identified and solved.

Is there an Apple Store here? If not, who is going to help all the Iphone users???

Just my peso's worth.

Lindsey

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I know nothing about the Iphone.

But, I DO know Apple products, and am familiar with and a frequent customer of the Apple Store in our town in the US. Recently, my computer crashed and I went to the Genius Table for help. I was there on two different days. There were about 5 seats at the table, all for folks needing service. Both days, all seats-except my own, of course- were occupied with people with Iphones which were not operating correctly. This is in the US.

Who will help you here in the DR?

Yes, I know Apple has telephone techs. When I needed help, I used this service first. I spoke to someone in the Phillipines for 2 1/2 hours before he transferred me to his supervisor (who was an American in the US.) After the supervisor made his suggestions and hung up, the problem still unsolved. I then went into the Apple Store, and finally, then the problem was identified and solved.

Is there an Apple Store here? If not, who is going to help all the Iphone users???

Just my peso's worth.

Lindsey

They come with a warranty for hardware problems so getting it replaced while its new shouldn't be a problem if Orange is selling them.

For those who modify the phone via hardware or software there are quite a few online forums offering free help if you are motivated enough to look.

If your not motivated enough you can always pay someone else to do it for you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Just my peso's worth.

Lindsey

We already have 1,000s of iPhones here. Every "Jevito" en Santo Domingo has one.

I'm sure any legit customers of Orange and Claro will be supported when they start selling iPhones, just like they are now with their current range of phones.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Best plan for iphone in DR?

Who has the best plan (unlimited data) in the DR.
I wonder what company/which plan the iphone owners are using now before the official release of the iphone?
Are the DR service providers able to unlock iphones, or better to do it in the US?
Thanks!

TheHun

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
OK..so is anyone using an iPhone 3G with Claro's unlimited data plan? I've been very pleased with the service and speed of my Blackberry on Claro's network, but the trackball seems to be shot and looks like I have to get a new phone...was thiking of switching. It appears that you can buy an unlocked iPhone 3G at Bestbuy..maybe other places as well...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have you read the BestBuy small print :(

Phone activation required before use on AT&T.

I think Apple are doing this to try and clear the huge backlog AT&T has trying to get iPhones to people wanting them.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
lol...i figured there was a catch...but the fine print was actually too small to read! But I assume the new 3G's can be unlocked like the older ones,,,

not true at the moment there is NO unlock for the iphone 3G. The only unlocked 3G iPhones come from countries like Italy where Apple is forced to sell them unlocked.

Also it is being suggested if you have an iPhone 3G and wish to unlock it to NOT upgrade past firmware 2.0.1 since theres a new baseband installed as of 2.0.2 which "could" prevent you from unlocking if 2.0 and 2.0.1 are unlocked more easily than 2.0.2.

Also its being rumored that firmware version 2.1 will be out in September sometime to correct more bugfixes and possibly introduce new features.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
According to the news at the Apple Conference that just ended the firmware 2.1 upgrade will be out this Friday.

Also what could be of interest to a few people is Apple lowering the price of the 8GB ipod touch to $229 and changing the look of it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I know this thread is about the I-phone, but does anyone know if you can get an Instinct (Sprint's I-Phone competition) in The DR? In The US you have to have a special plan for it to work...just curious.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I know this thread is about the I-phone, but does anyone know if you can get an Instinct (Sprint's I-Phone competition) in The DR? In The US you have to have a special plan for it to work...just curious.

The Samsung Instinct works on a CDMA network only. Not GSM. These types of phones have built in firmware which can be "flashed". Many of the features will also be controlled by the carriers firmware making them not work on other networks.

So even if you could reflash the firmware to make the phone work it would be difficult to get the phones features to work in the DR unless this phone is also used normally on their network.

A

apostropheman

any new updates?

not true at the moment there is NO unlock for the iphone 3G. The only unlocked 3G iPhones come from countries like Italy where Apple is forced to sell them unlocked.

Also it is being suggested if you have an iPhone 3G and wish to unlock it to NOT upgrade past firmware 2.0.1 since theres a new baseband installed as of 2.0.2 which "could" prevent you from unlocking if 2.0 and 2.0.1 are unlocked more easily than 2.0.2.

Also its being rumored that firmware version 2.1 will be out in September sometime to correct more bugfixes and possibly introduce new features.
any new updates?