Is Boco Chica really that bad???

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Boca is probably the worst place to vacation in the DR. If you want sex, drugs and hassles by all means do not stop at go and collect your $200. A single guy will probably get propositioned about 10 times a day and the beach restuarants will try to charge you a table fee, just to sit down. The beaches are nothing exciting and the hotels there are old. Other than that you will have a great time trying to hang onto your wallet and credit cards. It is not that it isn't safe it is just not a very nice place to enjoy a relaxing vacation. Your buddy was right to back out. You couldn't pay me to stay there for a night.

LTSteve
As a beach destination Boca Chica is nowhere near the class of the Northest Coast or for that matter most of the beach destinations in the Carribean but as a vacation destination it is close to the airport, very inexpensive, close to other beaches (Guayacanes, Juan Dolio) and the Capitol and really can be fast or slow depending upon what the traveler likes. There are a couple of bars on Duarte where you can sit and sip and watch the world go by and never be "propositioned" if that's not what you're looking for and I've never had people try to "push" drugs on me there.

Not all the hotels are "old" and a few of the ones that are have been well maintained and are on par with hotels in the more popular Caribbean destinations which cost 3x as much.

Index | Villa Florencia

I had a 1BR with two balconies offering 90 degree apart ocean views, a dishwasher, washing machine, fully equipped kitchen, pantry, large living room well appointed with a 55" TV, formal dining room off the kitchen (8 seat table), Italian marble everywhere, excellent service and top flight security including an indoor garage for the whopping price of $100/night. In Aruba you get to stay at the Coconut In Motel with a horse hair double bed with bad coils and the 3/4 empty slime pool from "Karate Kid" for $100 a night.

I have had a great time relaxing there and it's not a good idea to use credit cards anywhere in the D.R., not just Boca Chica. I have never felt unsafe there and I sure can't say the same about Santo Domingo where an evening stroll can turn into quite an adventure. There are admittedly too many vendors on the beach and they tend to become a little annoying but when offered trinkets, I tell them who I buy my trinkets from, when offered massage/mani/pedi I tell them who I use for that, I never pay a table/chair fee because I only table/ chair where there is no fee for me and when the cigars guys come by I explain to them that Cohiba makes no cigars in "window" boxes and how the binder leaf isn't supposed to be poking out of the wrapper leaf and where the stamps are located on the genuine boxes and from that point on they go well out of their way to avoid me.

Boca Chica is only scary to a chump who should never travel outside his comfort zone in the 1st place and I agree that the OP should have gone without his "scared buddy" there to ruin his trip and he would have had a great time visiting, relaxing and taking in the sights and sounds and smells.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Grey" it's good that someone who has actually STAYED in Boca Chica posts an accurate description of what it's REALLY like!!!!
A few of us "Old Timers" with World travel experience find it a great,inexpensive place to have some fun, or just relax under a palm tree!
I'm sure "LT", could just replace "Boca Chica", with "Sosua" and repost on any "Sosua" thread!
I could post on a "Rodeo Drive In LA" thread, and even though shopping there is not my "Cup Of Tea", I wouldn't post,.."Just a bunch of rich bastards trying to show off by overpaying for "Designer's Originals"!
Just cause someone doesn't like, or enjoy what other's do, you should tell the Truth!
Even if,..."YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"!!!!!
Thanks "Jack"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I always go to Boca Chica during my infrequent trips to the DR. I do it for nostalgic reasons and not for the "excitement" others seek while there. Growing up in Santo Domingo in the late 50's and early 60's, going to Boca Chica was something to look forward to and a very pleasant experience. It was another time, another country then. During my last trip I sat at a table at the Triangulo with one of my many cousins from early morning until the last bus left to SD. We drank, danced, ate, drank some more and entertained all the chicas that stopped by our table to offer their company. We paid for a few drinks for them and send them on their way. No hassle, no pressure, no intimidation and a great time interacting with all the "johns" and their "guides" as they went about looking for that perfect score. I believe Boca Chica is what you make of it, as is the rest of the country.There is danger everywhere whether you are looking for it or not; it's just a matter of timing and preparation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your post was "D'Light Full"!
Thanks for telling it like it is!
A "True Story", from a "True Dominicano"!!!!!!!!
AND, they can't say:,...."Another Expat lying about "Boca Chica"!!!!!!!
Nice work, POST MORE!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If ITS All-Inclusive you like, I would definitely do Bavaro. Barcela Capella in JD was a spot I stayed 4 times but 3 years ago I swore, never again. I check in and out reception experience alone is a nightmare. Food and drinks crap. IMO.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
I am always surprised about all the negativity..yes Boca Chica can be quite trashy esp. the duarte and the "park" where all the white grandpas go for a walk with their bored dominican daughters or granddaughters ;-)

But I always have a lot of fun at the beach, the water is nice and clear and the beach vendors oh well some of them are more annoying then others but with most of them you can always have a laugh even if you dont buy there stuff (esp. the cuban-dominican guy that sells lotions and stuff)

There are much more beautifull places in the DR no doubt about that but for a fun beach day there is nothing wrong about Boca Chica.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am always surprised about all the negativity..yes Boca Chica can be quite trashy esp. the duarte and the "park" where all the white grandpas go for a walk with their bored dominican daughters or granddaughters ;-)

But I always have a lot of fun at the beach, the water is nice and clear and the beach vendors oh well some of them are more annoying then others but with most of them you can always have a laugh even if you dont buy there stuff (esp. the cuban-dominican guy that sells lotions and stuff)

There are much more beautifull places in the DR no doubt about that but for a fun beach day there is nothing wrong about Boca Chica.

Yes BC does have clear water, BUT, CLEAN? Is it just me, but when I go in the manmade pool I always got skin irritation! The manmde reef keeps the waves down and all the debris in. I think we all know the level of respect the beaches receive. Lots of garbage and seems to serve as the closest bano for many.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Yes BC does have clear water, BUT, CLEAN? Is it just me, but when I go in the manmade pool I always got skin irritation! The manmde reef keeps the waves down and all the debris in. I think we all know the level of respect the beaches receive. Lots of garbage and seems to serve as the closest bano for many.

weird..my rashes that I usually have during the winter usually heal completely during a beach vacation there ;-)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I spent one night in BC due to my flight being cancelled last week.

That place is ugly as ****, no joke, hustlers following you everywhere, beach is narrow and crowded with a view on what seems to be a factory :(

WHy would anyone would consider this place for a vacation with all DR has to offer is beyond me :speechles

But Kudos to DR1, remembered the boat house, spend the day there while my kids were playing with Franck Reckenwald beautiful daughter.:bunny:

Ran back to Samana when my flight was cancelled again.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Fish", now that "Henny" has passed, you can get his "Gig" in the Catskills!
"Take MY Wife",...."Por Favor"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Since it's now officially "Snow Bird Migration Season", many of whom "Winter" on the DR's beautiful South Shore, why don't we have a DR1 "Meet & Greet" at the "Boat House"?????
Great place to sit, talk, eat, drink,swim, and I can hopefully, "Make Mary"!
It's now easy to reach from as far away as Punta Cana.
I really don't like "BC" on weekends, to many "Loco Locals" to be enjoyable.
BUT, since many of us are "Unemployed",..Happily, now a weekday is fine.

"Lunch Anyone"???????????????/

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I spent one night in BC due to my flight being cancelled last week.

That place is ugly as ****, no joke, hustlers following you everywhere, beach is narrow and crowded with a view on what seems to be a factory :(

WHy would anyone would consider this place for a vacation with all DR has to offer is beyond me :speechles

But Kudos to DR1, remembered the boat house, spend the day there while my kids were playing with Franck Reckenwald beautiful daughter.:bunny:

Ran back to Samana when my flight was cancelled again.

Hahaha Aida you didn't like "my" Boca Chica?:eek:
I also prefer Samana, it's a lot more beautiful than the south except they have toooooooo many Frenchies there!!! I'd have to change my name to FRANCK ;)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
"Fish", now that "Henny" has passed, you can get his "Gig" in the Catskills!
"Take MY Wife",...."Por Favor"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Since it's now officially "Snow Bird Migration Season", many of whom "Winter" on the DR's beautiful South Shore, why don't we have a DR1 "Meet & Greet" at the "Boat House"?????
Great place to sit, talk, eat, drink,swim, and I can hopefully, "Make Mary"!
It's now easy to reach from as far away as Punta Cana.
I really don't like "BC" on weekends, to many "Loco Locals" to be enjoyable.
BUT, since many of us are "Unemployed",..Happily, now a weekday is fine.

"Lunch Anyone"???????????????/

Just had lunch here all by myself :(
Told Mary you wanna "make her", she said bring lot's of money!!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hahaha Aida you didn't like "my" Boca Chica?:eek:
I also prefer Samana, it's a lot more beautiful than the south except they have toooooooo many Frenchies there!!! I'd have to change my name to FRANCK ;)

I only like YOUR boca Chica, the rest sucks. I did butcher your name allright. :)
I take the Frenchies over BC hustlers anyday ahaha but I admit the kids had a blast.