Is everything in DR corrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I mailed a package to DR friend, soap, lotions, razors, bath items etc., USA postal. DR post office in Santiago
tells her that she need to pay DR post office, lol. I texted her copy of shipping label that shows postage cost
and that I paid in USA. Anything for a couple of bucks I guess, rather pathetic.

Apr 7, 2014
I mailed a package to DR friend, soap, lotions, razors, bath items etc., USA postal. DR post office in Santiago
tells her that she need to pay DR post office, lol. I texted her copy of shipping label that shows postage cost
and that I paid in USA. Anything for a couple of bucks I guess, rather pathetic.
It could be true. How much is it that they are saying she has to pay? Or it could be that she wants you to send her the money to go and get it in a taxi, back and forth with enough for trip to the salon and a barquito for her and her girlfriends.

COD went out with the 20th Century.
Also keep in mind that peeps at the PO may not know what they are talking about. Political patronage jobs tend to favor the incompetent.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I mailed a package to DR friend, soap, lotions, razors, bath items etc., USA postal. DR post office in Santiago tells her that she need to pay DR post office, lol. I texted her copy of shipping label that shows postage cost and that I paid in USA. Anything for a couple of bucks I guess, rather pathetic.

was it over 200 dollars worth or over 200 dollars declared value?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Be happy she actually got it! Both of my transactions with said Dominican postal service were never delivered!!!
Der Fish

Don't think that this only happens in the DR. Shipping USPS to US territories like St. Thomas have to pass through Puerto Rico. If it's not USPS priority or express with a tracking number, forget it. You will never receive it. Letters maybe, but parcels have to go through Carolina, PR. and for some reason, they never leave there..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the people at the DR post offices pocket that money. paying at the receiver end of postage is unheard of. if you notice, they never give you a receipt. they tell you that because they know you want the contents of the package, and will be willing to pay the 200 or so pesos just to get it. they are all crooks...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
the people at the DR post offices pocket that money. paying at the receiver end of postage is unheard of. if you notice, they never give you a receipt. they tell you that because they know you want the contents of the package, and will be willing to pay the 200 or so pesos just to get it. they are all crooks...

Wrong.

My son's grandmother lives in LA and regularly sent all manner of gifts on a regular basis to us in the UK via USPS and I regularly paid excess fees to Royal Mail. This was quite few years back....more than 10 but doubt if much has changed.

Yes there is plenty of corruption in DR but as the USPS link posted above indicates there are receiver end fees that may apply.

KM needs to check the receipt given assuming requested and take the matter up with INPOSDOM.

We mustn't jump to conclusions and I defer to F J Guzman's comment yesterday in the Legal section, that this Forum has become a place to bash Dominican culture and you do this very well indeed at each and every opportunity.

There are plenty of things to criticize but for crying out loud there are far worse places to be in this world. I do my complaining in private with my partner and friends and at least think I have a good understanding and tolerance of living in developing coutries

I think Robert should take a stance against the bashers both here and overseas.

Surely this forum is meant to be informative to help anglophiles understand more about DR, yet so very few mention the positives and there are many.

Yes, there are many negatives but some balance is needed and it is wrong to jump to immediate conclusions like the OP has.

Apr 7, 2014
Wrong.

My son's grandmother lives in LA and regularly sent all manner of gifts on a regular basis to us in the UK via USPS and I regularly paid excess fees to Royal Mail. This was quite few years back....more than 10 but doubt if much has changed.

Yes there is plenty of corruption in DR but as the USPS link posted above indicates there are receiver end fees that may apply.

KM needs to check the receipt given assuming requested and take the matter up with INPOSDOM.

We mustn't jump to conclusions and I defer to F J Guzman's comment yesterday in the Legal section, that this Forum has become a place to bash Dominican culture and you do this very well indeed at each and every opportunity.

There are plenty of things to criticize but for crying out loud there are far worse places to be in this world. I do my complaining in private with my partner and friends and at least think I have a good understanding and tolerance of living in developing coutries

Surely this forum is meant to be informative to help anglophiles understand more about DR, yet so very few mention the positives and there are many.

Yes, there are many negatives but some balance is needed and it is wrong to jump to immediate conclusions like the OP has.
Cue the theme to The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wrong.

if you want to complain among your friends, more power to you. i have no beef with that.

by the way, the fact that you do your complaining among your friends seems to suggest that you might have as many complaints as we do, but you are afraid to say themout publicly. some of us have a pair. and yes, we complain, but there are times when we say positive things about the place. just today, a bunch of folks, myself included, were talking about how much of a bargain it is to live in the DR.

i feel like complaining here. we can have a gentleman?s agreement. you buy my laptop, and pay my internet fees, and i will honor your diasgreement about my complaining on the internet. that should be easy.

besides, nobody is talking about excess fees. i am talking about people asking me for 300 pesos to hand me a package that took 7 months from Dallas to POP, even though it was sent Express Mail.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
if you want to complain among your friends, more power to you. i have no beef with that.

by the way, the fact that you do your complaining among your friends seems to suggest that you might have as many complaints as we do, but you are afraid to say themout publicly. some of us have a pair. and yes, we complain, but there are times when we say positive things about the place. just today, a bunch of folks, myself included, were talking about how much of a bargain it is to live in the DR.

i feel like complaining here. we can have a gentleman?s agreement. you buy my laptop, and pay my internet fees, and i will honor your diasgreement about my complaining on the internet. that should be easy.

besides, nobody is talking about excess fees. i am talking about people asking me for 300 pesos to hand me a package that took 7 months from Dallas to POP, even though it was sent Express Mail[/I].

Where did you say that!!

Paying receiver end fees is not uncommon.

I hope to read some positives one day. Or at least some caution in your predetermined judgments.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Where did you say that!!

Paying receiver end fees is not uncommon.

I hope to read some positives one day. Or at least some caution in your predetermined judgments.

i am over 65 years of age, and i have received my fair share of packages. when they come through dropbox servics like Encargopaq and services like that, i expect to pay charges. when i get 2 capacitors in the mail, i do not expect to pay for them at this end. i have never heard of that, anywhere. your mileage may vary.

as i said, if you want me to write stuff that meets your approval, i am willing to accept a brand new Hewlett Packard with Windows 10, and a 5 year subscription to internet. you can opt for the more cost effective solution wherein you don?t read my stuff.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have recived packages through the dr mail, from europe...... in my small campo.
Takes time.....lots of time, lots and lots of time sometimes..... it was xmas presents at easter last year :)
And, no never had to pay a recivers fee..... even with UPS.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
as i said, if you want me to write stuff that meets your approval, i am willing to accept a brand new Hewlett Packard with Windows 10, and a 5 year subscription to internet. you can opt for the more cost effective solution wherein you don?t read my stuff.

We have had this conversation before, I guess you're suffering from short term memory loss.

I don't want to treat any poster like a child and take a zero tolerance stance, but if that's what it takes, so be it.

Keep your posts 100% on topic and non-confrontational or live with a nice long DR1 vacation.

It ends here....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I don't know what the cost of the shipment was but if you want it to get there hassle free use FedEx or UPS next time. You are lucky the package arrived in the DR and it was actually available for pickup.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I don't know what the cost of the shipment was but if you want it to get there hassle free use FedEx or UPS next time. You are lucky the package arrived in the DR and it was actually available for pickup.

Agreed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
next time just send money with WU. soap, lotions, razors, bath items are easily available here unless one is fussy. less hassle too.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
next time just send money with WU. soap, lotions, razors, bath items are easily available here unless one is fussy. less hassle too.

They are available but it seems not of the same quality.

I purchased some shampoo here and the same brand and type of shampoo on Amazon and had it shipped in. The quality was better with the Amazon shampoo.

Not really worth it to ship that stuff in but for some people it may be.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's why i mentioned "fussy". i buy bulk of my cosmetics abroad, simply because i cannot find things that suit my skin or they are way overpriced here. my maid buys the cheapest stuff available in a colmado and she's happy with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.