Is Ikea Open?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Wow this is some amazing growth in tough times.

If you walk or drive around Lincoln, Gustavo, Churchill etc you will see the restaurants busy, people out and about spending money. Not just on the weekend, but every night of the week.

I honestly don't know where all the money is coming from.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you walk or drive around Lincoln, Gustavo, Churchill etc you will see the restaurants busy, people out and about spending money. Not just on the weekend, but every night of the week.

Come on...I think we all know where the money is coming from. It's from all those new export business springing up everywhere in The DR...this is why the economy is growing like crazy.:cheeky:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
tough times for many but the not so tough times for many others. You have to be living in the right areas of SD to see the money being spent like water.
Thanks god I am here now. Better late than never.
AZB

Could you spare a glass of water, fine sir?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Yes I have experienced and met some who have this luxury. The question or assumption that is continually made here in the DR.
Is it the result of old money, drug money,corrupt affiliations, new aspiring businesses,or all of the above, which is probably the case, but in what proportion?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Come on...I think we all know where the money is coming from. It's from all those new export business springing up everywhere in The DR...this is why the economy is growing like crazy.:cheeky:

Not the people who come to my office. the majority of people are not drug dealers in those places. There is plenty of old money flowing in SD.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not the people who come to my office. the majority of people are not drug dealers in those places. There is plenty of old money flowing in SD.
AZB

Hey I didn't mention drugs...

New money doesn't know about Chiropractic care yet...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9figZXip1Jg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9figZXip1Jg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

AGORA MALL VIDEO RENDER... TAKE A PEEK!!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
AGORA MALL RENDERS:

moll.jpg

mall2s.jpg

showimage.php

RIGHT ACROSS IKEA!!!
NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I asked about the timing for Best Buy to set up shop at the mall behind IKEA, so far they are on track on the push to do so!!!!

Another big (if not the largest) mall in SD is also being re-initiated as of this past month... The long halted "Mundo Mall, itself hurt by the Baninter collapse, is now under construction as well...

mundomall1.jpg

mundomall2.jpg

mundomall3.jpg

mundomall4.jpg

mundomall5.jpg

mmall_1.jpg

mmall_2.jpg

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

I think only bozos would render such an idea to support all major biz to be supported by drug dealers/cash in the DR...

Are you really such limited to think that a multi-billion biz like IKEA takes drug money into consideration, when they invest millions to open a super sized shop like the one in SD??? I guess 9 out of 10 shoppers that attended the Ikea grand opening were dealers or cash bloated launders then (according to your "point")???

I know you'll find this hard to swallow (given your ideals about Dominican society), but not so long ago you had TO PAY to have biz take US dollars as payment over pesos in the DR... A professional had a great take home paycheck with a way above quality of lifestyle than US workers!!!

When the peso devaluated the upper middle class became millionaires, as their biz raked-in larger than life earnings as a result. The lower middle class broke into a real set alone middle class and poor one, delegating before poor to destitute that lost their platform to jump ahead to better higher standings.

Now we have a huge middle class with an even larger upper class and very small rich segment, which is shadowed by at least a 35% destitute sector.

The main ingredients which point towards development from a neo-capitalistic free-for-all base. I order for development to continue to grow, there must be an over abundance of cheap labor and steady demand for goods as well. The DR as of now meets both segments to a "t"...

To be more exacting: Rich people don't buy formica of compressed woods no matter how "chic" they look. Ikea did the studies very well in the DR ahead of time... The segment of the market they aim for is boundless and continues to grow each year in the DR...

Something that many here hardly ever see will start to happen soon enough as well: Big biz buying smaller ones to cover the national territory and market! We lack strong anti-monopoly regulation in the DR and many large biz are starting to notice the potential, with which to monopolize the lucrative market the DR is today...

If the DR is in fact a narco-economy, by default the US is the narco-Empire!!! Followed by all major developed first world countries/economies in the line...

It's easier to hide/launder money in the US than in the DR!! Fools think that they can invest in the DR and enjoy their loot alike! We KNOW where the cash comes in from and ALLOW them to invest it here! As soon as they turn into "profit" mode we send the hounds and smoke them out of the country...

The biggest mafia, gangs and rackets built the city of New York as we know it today. The same plays out for most major economic metropolis around the known world. That drug/dirty money is invested in the DR is a given (like anywhere else is), thing is that in the DR the cash gets put in, but hardly makes it out of the country with the same ease...

Japan is perhaps the largest economy (in importance) after the US, but something I know first hand is that so too is corruption and dirty money as important as well there...

Expats still have a hard time understanding how we Dominicans buy our biz, cars and home cash on hand, unlike how they like to buy on credit... A biz paid cash is able to ride the ups and downs of the economy; a biz that needs to keep up paying for itself can't be as flexible and nimble as well... Nor will having to keep paying a car loan/home mortgage help a person down the road too...

While the average American owns a credit debt of 10,000 to 20,000 a year, a Dominican hardly keeps a balance that can't be paid in 3 to 6 months at worst.

That's why you see these types of Malls going up and projects down the line for the DR. It's not based on serving drug dealers or launderers, but regular Joses that want goods and service for their money.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
They have been talking about Mundo Mall for years.

El gran Mundo Mall en Rep.Dom (consegui las fotos) :) - SkyscraperCity

MUNDO MALL INICIA DE NUEVO SUS OPERACIONES DE CONSTRUCCION!!!! - SkyscraperCity

Someone needs to pull down that eyesore on the corner of the Malecon and Gomez.
It's been falling apart for 10+ years.

The project was halted as a Baninter and other fiscal problems developed that were needed to fund the plan. Now it's back on track as cash was secured at better terms in DR banks Robert. Not only is Mundo Mall an old project stalled and now back alive, but many others as well.

The type of funding for huge projects in the DR, allows the main investors to halt and hold projects for long periods unlike in other countries. I halted a home we were building in the east of the country for over 7 years!!!! I only restarted the project after the cost for raw materials dropped enough to make sense of building it... I can honestly understand how and why they put so many big projects on hold here Robert! More so if we're to understand that these are projects aimed to create more revenue to the largest investors/owners, unlike a private home one builds...

AGORA MALL is not new or recent at all Robert and yet here it's today being developed!!! Mundo Mall is also not new on the block of major projects in the DR; but it will be something that impacts the local economy and trends, with major implications in the DR for sure!

I don't think we have too many Malls yet! I think it's the natural evolution of smaller stores spread like viruela today around the city, which will need to make the jump into concentrating in these "Centres" for good.

The same goes for the untold high number of offices packed like sardines in private homes around the city. The availability of biz towers will create a push for a formal attitude towards services in that niche.

Like I posted here long ago in DR1, the gov will make funds available to construct/finance low income housing and other projects. The need to grow vertical in the city is huge...

principe

Nov 19, 2002
awesome

Love to see all the progress the country is making. Truly makes me happy.

Pichardo, what are the completion dates for agora and mundo sometime in 2012?