Is it cold in Constanza?

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
BS do you believe everything that you see on the internet ???? Right know it's 23 Celsius (+) in Constanza.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was in Constanza, El Rio, Tireo today and it was a high of 19 and it will go down to 13-14 C at night, not exactly tropical but certainly not cold. Aguas Blancas is another 1676 feet (5499 feet altitude) higher than Constanza (3819 feet altitude)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife's cousin Carmen, my wife and their 87 year old aunt in El Rio. She is the last surviving member out of 12 children of Otillio Mieses from Granada, Spain.
20231220_111254.jpg

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Am I buying organic produce from Constanza or do they spray it just like the rest of the world?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Am I buying organic produce from Constanza or do they spray it just like the rest of the world?
They use Insecticides, pesticides, fungicides, and chemical fertilizers. I believe there are some organic producers. When they had their agricultural fair earlier in the year, I believe there were two or three organic producers with booths.

Reactions: reilleyp

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
They use Insecticides, pesticides, fungicides, and chemical fertilizers. I believe there are some organic producers. When they had their agricultural fair earlier in the year, I believe there were two or three organic producers with booths.
Patrick the Vegeman brings organic produce from Constanza to Sosua every week,his list of organics is quite extensive surprisingly.

Reactions: reilleyp

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Patrick the Vegeman brings organic produce from Constanza to Sosua every week,his list of organics is quite extensive surprisingly.
He gets some of his veggies here in Jarabacoa area as well. I am sure there are quite a few small producers that grow some organic crops.

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Would you really trust anything is Organic in the DR no matter how it is labelled?

Whatever that means.
I only trust what I grow myself or get from our gardener, because I know he gets his stuff from his mother, and she only uses Chicken and cow manure for fertilizer and doesn't use any insecticides. She uses vinegar and soap, lemon juice and garlic, or picks the bugs off by hand.

Reactions: JD Jones

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
well...... here comes some true insider information; If the grower is exporting the very same products to the US, you might in deed get organic veggys because they (US) do some supervision and checking. If he grows only for the local market; FORGET ABOUT IT !!!!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
well...... here comes some true insider information; If the grower is exporting the very same products to the US, you might in deed get organic veggys because they (US) do some supervision and checking. If he grows only for the local market; FORGET ABOUT IT !!!!
How do the supervise and check? In the fields of the DR, or do they test once it arrives in the US? It seems like an expensive cat and mouse game.

Reactions: Manuel01

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
How do the supervise and check? In the fields of the DR, or do they test once it arrives in the US? It seems like an expensive cat and mouse game.
You are right; Huge Cat and Mouse Game ! Inspections on site are always advised at least a month ahead by FDA, Global Gap etc. Zero Surprise Inspections. But the products are sometimes checked for residues of non organic pestizides etc. after arriving in the US. Also you are not allowed to grow organic for 5 years on a field that was prior used for regular agriculture and you can't grow to closed to a regular field either. Organic crop gets sprayed a lot, just by organic pesticides etc. One extreme example: The poison of a rattle snake it 100% organic....so don't feel to good when biting next time into your organic apple LOL

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Absolutely true. I have a friend who grows organic cacao and exports to Switzerland. He acts strictly by the rules, because he knows the minute the inspection finds something it will be game over.

Reactions: NanSanPedro