Is it just me?

diego

Aug 16, 2003
Rocky said:
Are you talking about the Colibri in Sosua?
If so, I didn't know there was a bank accross the street, unless you are refering to a "banca".

Yes the "Banca" :ermm: I live less then 100 yards away from there, if my wife would noy have been at the salon at that time we would have never heard of the robbery
I am in need of a large Portion of Rib's..got any?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
diego said:
Yes the "Banca" :ermm: I live less then 100 yards away from there, if my wife would noy have been at the salon at that time we would have never heard of the robbery
I am in need of a large Portion of Rib's..got any?
I didn't think they were getting bold enough to rob actual banks and face the armed guards.
For those who don't know the word "banca", a lottery/betting house might be a way to describe it.
You ribs are in the mail, Diego....

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Diego, it seems then that things are bad all over! But bancas getting robbed is nothing new. depending on the location, some are hit on an average of once weekly or biweekly (I have friends whose family runs a banca near the Autopista Duarte, over by KM9. Given the location which allows for quick getaways they are robbed quite frequently). Some owners of the banca just consider it the price of business, but I would not want to run such a business with cash in plain sight.

But banks are being robbed too, at least here in the capital, and brazenly. They often shoot the watchman rght off the bat. Money changing houses are targets as well.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I have asked ten local (ie Puerto Plata) Dominicans in different walks of life whether they think crime is increasing or not. They all replied that there is no doubt about the crime rate increasing. What a sad state of affairs, that even if caught and jailed, they are quickly released again to prey on anyone they choose, tourists included.....Canadian Bob.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
And in the Colonial zone purse and camera snatches are up: I was almost a victim the other night. Two guys on a motorbike, one in teh back grabs my camera while I am taking a picture, but little does he know that I wrap the strap two times around my arm, military style, so there is no way he is going to snatch that thing from my grasp- The little bugger. The look on his face was priceless! he thought he had it in the bag. Ha!